Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fully flash motorola droid x and get apps, mms, internet, talk, tex working

Phone
    blackberry
    Carrier
    cricket
    Feedback Score

How to fully flash motorola droid x and get apps, mms, internet, talk, tex working

First off you must have your phone's esn added in metropcs inventory to have service with metropcs
    give thanks to whiterabbit.org

1. YOU WANT TO ROOT THE DROID X
    (A) DOWNLOAD THE ONE CLICK ROOT FILE FROM HERE http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S2YDJ4KF

1. ON YOUR PHONE GO TO SETTINGS> APPLICATIONS> DEVELOPMENT> USB DEBUGGING> AND MAKE SURE IT IS CHECKED ON.

2. PLUG YOUR PHONE IN TO THE COMPUTER VIA USB AND SELECT CHARGE ONLY WHEN PROMPT POPS UP ON SCREEN.

3. UNZIP THE DROIDXROOT.ZIP AND ITS CONTENTS SOMEWHERE ON YOUR COMPUTER

4. RIGHT CLICK THE DROIDROOTX.EXE FILE AND RUN AS ADMINISTRATIVE IF YOUR NOT RUNNIN XP

5. CLICK THE ROOT ME BUTTON AND FOLLOW ONE DIRECTION IT ASK'S YOU TO DO.

THEN YOUR DONE WITH PART ONE WHICH IS ROOTING THE DROID X

2.GETTING THE DROIDX IN DIAG MODE
    (A) TO GET THE DROID X IN DIAG MODE

1. TURN OFF PHONE AND MAKE SURE IT IS NOT CONNECTED TO THE COMPUTER

2. PLUG IN THE MICRO USB CABLE INTO THE COMPUTER BUT NOT INTO THE PHONE YET.

3. WHILE DROIDX IS OFF CONSTANTLY PRESS CAMERA BUTTON AND THEN PLUG THE MICRO USB IN AND
    KEEP PRESSING THE BUTTON. (MAY TAKE A FEW TRYS TO DO THIS, BUT IF YOU DO EXACTLY WHAT
    I SAY, IT WILL BE DONE THE FIRST TIME RIGHT.

4. ONCE IN DIAG MODE IT WILL BRING UP A WHOLE BUNCH OF DRIVERS THAT NEEDS TO BE INSTALLED.
    ALL YOU HAVE TO INSTALL IS THE DIAG ONE.

5. DOWNLOAD THE DIAG DRIVERS FROM HERE http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SJDGFC9B
    EXTRACT THE CONTENTS TO YOUR DESKTOP

6. THEN GO BACK TO DIAG DRIVERS AND CLICK UPDATE DRIVERS, THEN YOU WANT TO CLICK BROWSE FOR DRIVERS
    AND LOCATE THE FOLDER YOU EXTRACTED AND IT SHOULD INSTALL FROM THERE.

NOW YOUR DONE WITH PART 2

3. WRITING THE NV ITEMS USING CDMA WORSHOP AND GETTING WAP TO WORK

1. GO TO http://www.whiterabbit.org/android/

2. ENTER YOUR 10 DIGITPHONENUMBER@mymetropcs.com AS THE LOGIN STRING, THE CLICK 2.7 OR 3.5 DEPENDING ON WHICH
    CDMA WORKSHOP YOUR USING AND THEN HIT GENERATE. IT SHOULD DOWNLOAD A TEXT FILE. THESE ARE YOUR NV ITEMS.

3. OPEN UP YOUR CDMA WORKSHOP THE LOCATE WHICH COM PORT THE DROID X IS ON AND HIT CONNECT
    THEN READ. IT SHOULD SHOW THAT IT READ, YOU WILL HAVE ESN AND MORE INFO ON THE LEFT.

4. NOW GO TO SECURITY TAB THEN LOCATE SPC AT TOP RIGHT, THEN INPUT SPC CODE AND HIT SPC
    (YOUR SPC CODE SHOULD BE 000000) IT SHOULD SAY YOU GOT IT RIGHT OR CONNECTED..SOMETHING LIKE THAT

5. NOW GO TO MEMORY TAB, LOCATE WHERE IT SAYS NV ITEMS AND UNDER IT. IT SHOULD SAY READ AND WRITE
    (OPTIONAL) YOU CAN CLICK READ TO BACKUP YOUR SETTINGS BUT I DONT RECCOMEND IT..
    NOW HIT THE WRITE BUTTON AND LOCATE YOUR NV ITEMS THAT U DOWNLOADED FROM WHITERABBIT.COM
    IT SHOULD BE YOUR 10DIGITPHONENUMBER@MYMETROPCS.COM FILE AND THEN DOUBLE CLICK ON THAT, IT SHOULD WRITE AND TELL YOU SUCCESS.

6. THEN GO BACK TO MAIN TAB AND HIT MODE> RESET PHONE AND IT SHOULD RESET YOUR PHONE.

DONE WITH PART 3 AND A LITTLE MORE TO GO.

4. GETTING MMS TO WORK.

(A)GOTO YOUR SETTINGS AND TURN ON YOUR WIFI ON, THEN GO TO MARKET AND DOWNLOAD THESE 3 PROGRAMS.
    ANY CUT AND APN BACKUP AND RESTORE AND ASTRO (THE FILE MANAGER)

1.ONCE DOWNLOADED OPEN UP THE ANY CUT PROGRAM> THEN CLICK NEW SHORTCUT> THEN CLICK ACTIVITY> THEN GO DOWN AND
    LOCATE APNS, CLICK ON IT AND IT SHOULD CREATE A SHORTCUT ON YOUR MAIN SCREEN.

2.FIND APNs ON YOUR DESKTOP I WOULD SAY AND OPEN IT UP. IT SHOULD BE BLANK. THEN YOU HIT THE BUTTON NEXT TO YOUR HOME BUTTON
    (THE ONE ON THE LEFT) AND AFTER THAT CLICK NEW APN.
    IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS AFTER YOUR DONE EDITING YOUR SETTINGS
    Name: metropcs
    APN: internet
    proxy: wap.metropcs.net:3128
    port: 3128
    username: your10digitphonenumber@mymetropcs.com
    password: metropcs
    server: wap.metropcs.net
    mmsc: http://mms.metropcs.net:3128/mmsc
    mms proxy: wap.metropcs.net
    mms port: 3128
    mmc: 310
    mnc: 004
    auth type: none
    apn type: not set

NOW PRESS THAT BOTTOM LEFT BUTTON AGAIN AND HIT SAVE.IT SHOULD TAKE YOU BACK TO THE BLACK SCREEN BUT NOW
    YOU HAVE A APN WITH THE NAME METROPCS. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK IT ON THE RIGHT AND IT SHOULD HAVE A GREEN DOT IN IT
    THATS HOW YOU KNOW ITS CHECKED. THEN YOU CAN EXIT OUT.

3. NOW GO BACK TO ANY CUT AND CLICK ON IT> THEN HIT NEW SHORTCUT> THEN ACTIVITY> NOW GO DOWN TO THE BOTTOM
    AND CLICK PROXY SETTINGS> THEN HIT OK AND IT WILL CREATE A SHORTCUT> THEN LOCATE THE SHORTCUT AND CLICK ON IT.
    IT SHOULD BE BLANK. INPUT THE FOLLOWING SETTINGS.
    HOSTNAME: proxy.metropcs.net
    AND PORT: 3128 AFTER THAT HIT SAVE.

YOUR DONE WITH PART 4.

5. GETTING THE APPS TO WORK FOR METROPCS

(A) COPY THESE FILES TO THE ROOT OF YOUR SD CARD.
    1. AUTOSTART.SH AND U2NL http://www.megaupload.com/?d=970PCSS7
    ONCE COPPIED MAKE A FOLDER ON THE ROOT OF YOUR SDCARD AND NAME IT APPS, COPY THIS .APK FILE IN THER AFTER YOU CREATED THE FOLDER.
    .APK FILE DOWNLOAD LINK- http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MWN4VDKL

2. AFTER YOU HAVE ALL THAT DONE GO TO ASTRO AND LOCATE YOUR APPS FOLDER I HAD YOU CREATE. THEN INSTALL ROOT EXPLORER (2.10.1)
    AFTER IT IS INSTALLED OPEN THE PROGRAM UP. IF SUPERUSER ASKS IF YOU WANT TO ALLOW HIT YES ALLOW
    THEN IT SHOULD SHOW SOME FOLDERS AND YOU WANT TO LOCATE SDCARD AND CLICK ON IT> THEN LOCATE THE autostart.sh file AND CLICK
    AND HOLD ON THE SCREEN, IT SHOULD GIVE YOU THE OPTION TO COPY, THEN HIT COPY AND HIT BACK BUTTON ONCE, NOW GO TO DATA FOLDER> THEN HIT THE
    BOTTOM LEFT BUTTON AND CREAT NEW FOLDER AND NAME IT opt. then paste the autostart.sh FILE IN OPT FOLDER. THEN CLICK AND HOLD ON AUTOSTART.SH
    AND THEN GO TO PERMISSIONS AND MAKE SURE ALL THE BOXES ARE CHECKED OFF. (IT SHOULD SHOW GREEN ARROWS ON ALL BOXES) THEN HIT OK. NOW HIT BACK TWICE
    IT SHOULD TAKE YOU BACK TO MAIN FOLDER SCREEN AND LOCATE SDCARD FOLDER AGAIN, CLICK ON IT AND GO DOWN AND COPY u2nl AND THEN HITT BACK ONCE.
    YOU SHOULD BE BACK AT MAIN FOLDER SCREEN.. GO DOWN TO SYSTEM> THEN BIN> AND CLICK MOUNT R/W THEN PASTE FILE IN BIN FOLDER. THE GO TO PERMISSIONS ON U2NL FILE
    AND MAKE SURE ALL BOXES ARE CHECKED OFF LIKE YOU DID TO THE AUTOSTART.SH (AFTER YOU HAVE ALL THIS DONE YOU CAN EXIT OUT)

3. GO BACK AND TURN ON YOUR WIFI, THEN GO BACK TO MARKET AND DOWNLOAD AUTOSTART AFTER THATS INSTALLED GO TURN OFF YOUR WIFI
    ***** AND MAKE SURE YOUR WIFI IS OFF**** THEN YOU CAN TURN OFF YOUR DROIDX. THEN RESTART IT AND IT SHOULD POP UP
    SUPERUSER ALLOW OR DENY AUTOSTART AND YOU WANT TO HIT ALWAYS ALLOW.

YOUR ALL DONE AND YOU SHOULD HAVE EVERYTHING WORKING NOW

its long i know but its worth it.

Phone
    blackberry
    Carrier
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    sorry i forhgot to add this in but
    I do not claim responsibility if you damage your phone, proceed at your own risk.

Phones
    Metro Diamond WAP MMS GPS
    Windows Full Flash
    Android Full Flash
    Feedback Score
    That is basically a cleaned up versoin of the Motorola Droid. Thanks for sharing that with the community...

Feedback Score

Exclamation WARNING: This is an incomplete guide, use as a reference tool only!

WARNING: This is an incomplete "guide", use as a reference tool only!

If the OP adds 64-bit drivers, turns off CAPSLOCK and makes it clearer with better grammar and spellcheck I'll give 5/5 stars. There should also be a note about ignoring the "brick your phone" warning that is on whiterabbit.org for non-droid 1 users.

Other issues: Part 2 needs to be done before Part 1. Part 2 step 3 isn't explained with enough detail. (see end of this post for real instructions)

When asked about the drivers his response was "try google its reall helpfull" ... Well guess what dipstick, if we wanted to use google to get our droid X flashed, we wouldn't come to howardforums and look for a GUIDE.

/endrant

★★★★☆

Essential Supplements to this here "guide":

Note: Section 1 is entirely unnecessary just download Z4root from the market and click Root, done!

1) Make sure to use a dedicated older 32-bit computer if using this "guide". If you were planning to use a Virtual Machine to emulate the OP's dated system, think again. CDMA tools gives the error "will not work under virtual machine"

2) Part 2, step 3 (FIXED) Enabling Diag Mode the right way: button presses have to be DEEP ONLY. (2 depth switch) What this means is you can't use full up and down pressed (thru both switch levels), and you can't use shallow presses (from level 0 to level 1 depth). You gotta start at the first level and press down to the 2nd switch without letting off the button completely in between presses.

3) If you don't want to guess at random COM ports and you're using CDMA Tools 2.7 look in device manager under Ports (COM & LPT) and it shows the Motorola Diagnostic Interface (was COM3 for me, but yours may be different)

4) After all this, you'll have to search for and download a .PRL file, then flash it to your phone using parts of CDMA tools not even mentioned here if you want to actually be able to connect to Metro's network for phone calls. So much for "follow the guide and it will work 100%"
    Last edited by Joe7dust; 11-18-2010 at 03:55 PM.

Feedback Score
    The speeds will be 1x (60–100 kbps) in most markets or EVDO speeds (150–1200 kbps) if you are in 1 of the few EVDO markets. No 4G for the Droid X. Even if the Droid X were an LTE phone (which it isn't), you would not be able to take advantage of the LTE network on a flashed phone.

If flashed properly, you can buy and download apps off the network data connection with an EVDO connection. It can also be done on WiFi but not 1x. The autostart method mentioned in this guide will work on EVDO for that purpose.

Assuming the ESN/MEID was clear with Verizon to start with, the reversing of the Flash to put it back on Verizon is possible. Do a hard reset, rewrite the 12 NV items with their respective Verizon values (requires a backup file of these 12NV items from your phone or even that of another Droid X will do), write a Verizon PRL back onto the phone, finally reprogram the phone (*228 option 1).
    Last edited by drunkenmojo; 10-14-2010 at 02:28 AM.
    Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than trolls in the deep subforums.

Feedback Score
    Up to 1200 Kbps on EVDO? Nice, I'm getting 400 Kpbs max on this 4G LTE with Samsung Craft. Still trying to figure out if its the worlds shittiest $300 phone or its Metro having a fake 4g.

It says "4g" on the phone but sometimes switches to 1x or EV, doesn't seem to affect the test results much.

How do I backup the "NV" (???) items?

Also the Metro store or whatever doesn't sell apps that I'm aware of, so I was thinking I'd have to get them on the Verizon network or manually grab and install them somehow...

Feedback Score
    LTE for MetroPCS just launched so you'll have to wait and bit. Perhaps latter on they will ramp up the speeds a bit... well I certainly hope so.

One way is through CDMA Workshop's read NV-items feature.

App purchases on Android phones are through the Android market place. You will not be going through Metro or Verizon for any apps on this phone--nor would you want to.

Feedback Score
    Alright thanks for the advice guys, I'm buying a clean ESN / non-flashed Droid X for $300 tomorrow!

My #1 priority is backing up the data so if Metro's 2G is agonizing, I can bite the $100 monthly bullet and revert to stock for Verizon activation. I'll search for the CDMA tools you mentioned but I may need some further assistance tomorrow if you don't mind.

edit: hmmm "CDMA workshop" in google brought me to a site offering "Download Demo" or "GetHardwareID software" Am I right in assuming if I use the 'demo' to backup my NV junk, that I'll have to pay an unknown price to revert my phone back for Verizon usage?

Feedback Score
    Going to pick up my Droid X right now, should I buy this CDMA Workshop???

I NEVER buy software but if this is the only way for me to backup my phone in case I want to use Verizon I may have to....

Feedback Score
    CDMA Workshop is $99+tax. If you plan to do any modding in the future, not just for the Droid X, it's a great tool to have. If using it for the Droid X is the extent of your modding, you might just want to pay a pro (should be < $99) to help you with the task.

While not an easy phone to mod, you might want to check out the Tutorial at the top of this thread. With CDMA Workshop and a little gumption, you might even be able to do it yourself and learn something in the process.
    Last edited by drunkenmojo; 10-17-2010 at 10:33 AM.

Feedback Score
    Sigh... was going to pay a guy $75 but he doesn't offer reversibility. Claims its because he doesn't want to mess with customers changing their minds, but obviously he has little confidence in his service and expects the chance of my reversal request to be > 5%.

edit: OK he says that "2.7 cracked cdma" will back up my nv items... but he didn't answer whether I'll be able to RESTORE the backup with the same unregistered version. The registered version is locked to hardware id, so no chance of using his copy.

Anyone know if 2.7 cracked cdma can restore nv items should I decide that metro's 2G or 3G (see I have no idea of which I'll get) is just too slow/intermittent?
    Last edited by Joe7dust; 10-16-2010 at 09:48 PM.

Feedback Score
    What market are you in? I know MetroPCS has EVDO in Dallas and I think another is ?Detroit?.

Haven't experimented with 2.7 so don't know the answer to that one. Keep in mind that you only have to restore the 12NV items that are changed be the NV item script created on whiterabbitorg's page. I don't recommend you restore any other NV items as it may cause unexpected problems.

In the proper, experienced hands, your chances will be 100%. If you install a radio update (can be packaged with a system update or come separately), I believe that also resets the NV settings back to Verizon. I haven't seen one yet (though I really haven't looked very hard), but if a monster file is ever leaked from Motorola, you could undo the flash to Metro with just a simple reflash using RSD Lite.
    Last edited by drunkenmojo; 10-17-2010 at 01:30 AM.

Feedback Score
    I'm in Dallas. Forget my questions about backup. I've decided to just go for it and if it sucks then I'll install a mobile hotspot in my car and use wifi.

Now for the multiple issues I am having with this guide.....

Do I need to have the latest 2.3 update installed? I'm running 2.1-update1
    Do I need to install the Motorola drivers that I'm prompted about when plugging into my computer?

part 1, step 1 says to turn USB debugging on. My droid x won't even charge or show up in My Computer if I do this.
    part 1, step 2 says to select Charge from some ?pop-up? but no such thing exists. It only charges if I disobey step 1, and even then it never prompts me to and just charges automatically.

I tried to run the root program in all possible combinations of the above scenarios and it says failed to locate the device every time.
    When USB debugging is OFF I see a 7MB CDFS drive named Motorola in My Computer.

I'm hoping I just need to install the drivers/new firmware and the OP forgot to mention that... will try installing the drivers tomorrow if no reply by then.

Feedback Score
    You should be OK with 2.1-update1. Yes, you do need to install the drivers when prompted to. Drivers actually need to be installed before rooting will work. The Rooting package has them under the folders drivers and usb_driver. Check device manager on your computer. If installed correctly, you should see a Mot Composite ADB Interface under Android USB Devices and Motorola USB Networking Driver under Network Adapters.

Sounds like a driver issue. Did you install the drivers per part 2 step 5?

Feedback Score
    I didn't realize i should do part 2 before 1. I should be fine now.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast