Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Motorola i1

Device(s)
    Motorola i580
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Introducing the Motorola i1

It's FINALLY out on Telus. For $399.99, better than some people expected at $599.99 like the 8350i.

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/BC/mike_i1/index.shtml

What is unclear at this time though, is whether the Telus i1 is running Android 1.5 or 2.1. All the sites like mobilesyrup are reporting it running 2.1, while Telus own videos on Youtube mention 1.5. It could have been a last minute 'suprise' by Motorola and the videos may have been produced a while ago, so I guess we won't know for sure until someone has a live retail unit in their hands and can confirm.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    price is good ! ...
    the OS is 1.5 cupcake ... !!!! not 2.1 !!!! sorry for this ;(

Feedback Score
    I just bought it, it has 1.5 - data is ok for iDen when using Opera. GPS works great but a tad slow. Gonna play with it some more!
    Fido Retention Unlimited 50 North America Calling + Text Messaging
    6GB Tethered BIS Data
    Value Pack: Caller ID - Name Display - Who called - Voicemail

80$ a month + taxes

Device(s)
    Motorola i580
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    What about battery life? The thing keeping me on the fence on this phone is the short battery life reported on the Nextel version of this phone. I go 3 days between charges on my 8350i (I don't have a data plan btw). What's the battery life like of your Telus i1?

Feedback Score
    It lasts about 3 days if I don't use GPS, everything else is good...once again, the GPS sucks the life out of the battery. Talk time however is awesome!

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Instant-Noodles View Post
    It lasts about 3 days if I don't use GPS, everything else is good...once again, the GPS sucks the life out of the battery. Talk time however is awesome!
    How sloooooow is the data on this. I was a Mike guy for over 5 years and switched almost a year ago to HSPA. I was spoiled with full strength service at my house with Mike and now with HSPA I have to be careful when in my basement (which is were I am over 50% of the time I'm home).

I went with a smart phone and I am not sure I could move away from one now and the data speeds on Mike scare me!!!

Post a quick review and fill us in.

Feedback Score
    So I called into LNR to see if I can get a better plan for my i1, this is what they offered me below, do you guys think I should accept?

200 mins
    Unlimited Data + Unlimited Text + Unlimited North America Direct Connect + Unlimited 6pm + weekend calling
    CID+VM10

55$ + taxes

They told me that this is really a big exception since everything is unlimited except for the 200 daytime mins from 7am - 6pm calling. I dont really talk much on the peak hours so I guess the 200 mins is fine. I mostly just use apps, text and instant messaging.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ... i switch again in few days to mike network for my work ! i wait my i1 ... ( i have pay the i1 only 279 $ without any contract new ... )

i have negociate my old plan ... without any problem ...
    old 40 dollars plan ... with 700 mins ... and the rest same as you ... i think you can get more minutes ...
    For 40 dollars + saf + tax ...

Instant noodle have you a data plan ?

Feedback Score
    My plan is EPP 17.30 comes with 200 mins + 6pm calling + CID + VM10 + SAF 7.70 = 25$

Unlimited Data 30$
    Unlimited text 15$ fully credited
    Unlimited North America DC 15$ fully credited

55$ + taxes

So what do you guys think?

Feedback Score
    For using apps, basic web browsing, instant messaging and email is perfect.

GPS is slow when maps are updating on the fly in Google Maps but decent.

Forget streaming and heavy downloads on iDen, use wifi to download apps is better, running the apps on iDen is fine.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Instant-Noodles View Post
    My plan is EPP 17.30 comes with 200 mins + 6pm calling + CID + VM10 + SAF 7.70 = 25$

Unlimited Data 30$
    Unlimited text 15$ fully credited
    Unlimited North America DC 15$ fully credited

55$ + taxes

So what do you guys think?
    your plan is very good for the price now you have explain ...
    i just want add a thing... in the past ... 1 years ago ... i have same feature... the Unlimited North America DC 15$ fully credited with the epp 17,30 plan ... and this feature don't work correctly with this plan ! ... if you use a lot of ptt ... just verify your next bill ...

and just want add a thing for people want this phone or any phone on iden network ...
    yes iden is slow ... but with bb or opera iden is really fast ...
    many people on nextel or boost usa forums complain about speed - sms etc ... ! Telus have better speed , no problem with sms... never see a problem on mike ...

Feedback Score
    What billing issues did you get when you had the free North America DC and the Mike 17.30? I do a lot of direct connect, in the range of 3000 mins a month.

The iden speed is very good when using the apps and the Opera browser. Just make sure you use wifi to download the apps first, if not then it will take some time to download 1 app on iden. SMS is super fast too!

I also have a BB 8350i, I switch the sim sometimes if I need my BB services, if your data plan is blackberry, it will also work for the i1 but not the other way around, make sure to get the blackberry version of data if you switch devices often.

Lastly, I might change my data to the 40$ version so I can use it in the USA, considering the price, I think it is worth it than paying for a data pass at 1$ a MB.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    yes in the past ... the unlimited dc fonction ( free or paid ) was incompatible with the epp 17.30 ... in the past ... if you have billing error just call and tell you receive this offer ;P i think you can get credit without any problem ...

Feedback Score
    I'm getting close on buying the i1. I went to the Telus store on Boxing day and briefly talked to a sales associate. Went back the beginning of January and was told that if I wanted the discount on the phone if I signed for a 2-year or 3-year contract then I would HAVE TO add the $30 per month data package. I'm not planning on using data so I was ticked off at that (I later found out that I would have to have the data package for a minium of 12 months). I asked the sales associate if I was to buy the i1 at full price ($399.99) then what, and he replied I could do what ever I wanted. For a 3-year contract, you get a $250 discount, so the i1 is $149.99. Adding the data package for 12 months will cost $406.80 ($30 + tax = $33.90 per month * 12 months) - so there's your $250 discount + an additional $156.80 - not worth it.

I mainly use my iden phone for phone calls and voice mail. I send/receive the odd text message - that's it. I have never done email on my phone (and don't plan to), web surfing - not really. I would like to ask what features require data (and therefore you have to pay for): GPS, Google Maps, other. If you use the web browser to web surf - you have to pay for the data, but if you use Wi-Fi to web surf, then it's free (correct?). (I have read some comments that iden's data speed/web browsing is slow compared to HSPA.) My current iden phone just has the number pad, so there's 3 letters + the number per button, so typing is a pain. That's why I don't send texts. With the i1, it has a 3.1" screen and the onscreen keyboard which makes typing easier. I thought about adding the $5 texting package - but I decided not to because I prefer making phone calls instead of sending text messages. I'm not planning on buying android programs (I hate using the word "app" - it's a freaking program or software) - maybe if I find free android programs, I'll download them using my pc and coping the program to the phone.

I went to the Motorola and Telus web sites and skimmed the information on the i1. I was surprised that there is no belt holster or carrying case for it. Does anyone know if you get a screen protector with the the i1 from Telus? I spent a few days going to different stores around town to find a belt pouch that fits the i1 and I have found 3. The headphone connector is 2.5mm - is there an adapter for 3.5mm? (I can't understand why Motorola used 2.5mm, 3.5mm is more of a standard.) Also, Telus has a 2GB microSD card with the i1 - that should be enough but I thought about looking for a 16GB, class 6 card. I've downloaded the pdf manual for the i1, but I haven't gotten around to skim/read it.

Feedback Score

For Sale

PM me if you want my i1, 350$ cash, no taxes and no contract. I got it the day it came out. Not much usage on it as I have 2 phones.

I also have a BB8350i if you are interested at 250$

I am not using Mike anymore at work, we switched to HSPA, how sad!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast