Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Introducing the Motorola i1

Feedback Score
    I turned off the proximity sensor and now the dialer works ok. So it was the proximity sensor that was screwing up the number touch pad. That makes 2 problems I have with the phone. I was planning on taking the phone back to Telus for repairs, but I have no way of backing up my data. I need Wi-Fi to complete my google account and back up my data. There's a phone software update - I'm not sure if that will fix my problems or not - and after the update I can logged back to my google account and copy data back to the phone. I have no Wi-Fi, so I'm stalled for the last 6 months and can't get the problems fixed. There's a new router that I wanted being released now in the US, but Canada won't get it until around October - so I have wait until then to try to fix the 2 problems.

On another note, I was playing around with my phone and using the camera recently, and I was looking into adding a new ringtone. I skimmed the manual, and only found a small section on how to choose one of the pre-loaded ringtones. I can't seem to find step-by-step instructions on how to add new ringtones to the phone. Anyone know how to do this?

Device(s)
    SoftBank 707SC, Neonode N2, Altacel OT-710D
    Carrier(s)
    Telus CDMA... for now
    Feedback Score
    Take a full or trimmed MP3 and assign it as a ringtone in the music player. Worked for me and the previous MP3 used as ringtones remained in the list of custom tones to boot.
    Tracfone W175g is IMPOSSIBLE to flash. If you don't want to use it with Trac, it's WORTHLESS. Stop PM'ing me!

Feedback Score
    Hi all just bought a used i1. Thought Id try it over my old i580
    I was told at Telus I could just put in my sim and it would work? yes/no? I know I would have to import the contacts. So a few questions:
    Has anyone tried using a different browser? firefox,dolphin?
    Is there software I can put on my laptop to install apps, back up data etc? Ive seen stuff on Motorola's site but they always list it for US carriers, never Telus.
    Any one know if you use the phone to hook your laptop up to the web, does it count on your Data or talk minuets?
    Thanks
    Thanks

Feedback Score

i1 problems

When I first got my i1 in February 2011, I found I had 2 problems. The first, I couldn't send text messages. The Second, when I tried to use the keypad during a phone call, the touch screen wasn't registering the key presses. I turned off the prox. sensor and the keypad worked, however, if I had the phone too close to my face, sometimes a key would get hit and you hear a beep. I think the prox. sensor was screwed. Well at the end of October / beginning of November 2011, I found that I could "suddenly" send text messages! It looks like it was a problem with Telus on their end, but still, it took them 6 months to fix this!!

Now it gets worse. I went to make a phone call today (Sunday March 11, 2012) and I couldn't hear any sound. I played around with the phone, calling different phone numbers and I couldn't hear anything. I switched to speaker mode and I can hear sound from that but not on the earpiece. Volume is on max. I checked the call history log and the last time I made a call was on Friday February 24th - and it was working then. Somewhere between those 16 days, it stopped working. The phone has never been dropped or banged. The only thing I did recently with it was I took some photos while I was at a store and I plugged my phone into my pc and added a new ringtone to it. (I was careful and I did the safe remove hardware USB thing before I unplugged it).

I bought the phone at full price (no contract) from the Telus store, and it just passed the first year. I would like to return this to the Telus store for repair, not sure what the costs are going to be. I have to remove the SD card (I bought a 16GB one) - the backpanel is a pain to remove. Not happy.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Telus CDMA... for now
    Feedback Score
    There was an update released, not Android 1.6 unfortunately, but nontheless it fixed a lot of bugs. My i1 is still running strong nearly a year and a half later. Hook on some WiFi and check for updates if you haven't already done so.

Feedback Score
    I remember getting an email from Telus about a software update, but unfortunately I don't have wifi so I didn't upgrade. I went to Motorola's website last night, and I found no update for the Telus i1. I don't know if doing the update will fix the ear piece speaker. I did a google search and found a similar topic for another Motorola phone and the only comments for that was 1) remove the battery for a few minutes and the put it back in to see if the ear piece speaker works, if it doesn't then 2) do a hard reset and check if it works. If it doesn't, then you have to take the phone in for repair.

I went to the Telus store and was told that I had to pay $25 for shipping and I think $125 for the repair limit - if it's going to cost more than $125, they will call me to see if I want to get the phone repaired. I need to get a loner phone and that's another charge of $125 (I think). The Telus store didn't have any i1's, but a Telus dealer in town does. They told me that I had to go there and get my phone shipped out from there if I want to get their i1 loner phone. I'm not to crazy about dealing with a Telus dealer instead of the corporate Telus store (which I find to be safer, as I have heard some horror stories of people who used a Telus dealer rather then a corporate Telus store). I was hoping to do the battery and rest test probably today or Thursday and send my phone in for repair on Friday.

Feedback Score
    I just took the battery out for about 30 minutes and put it back in. Made a phone call and the ear piece speaker still doesn't work. I was think about doing a hard reset, checked the manual and it sounds like any info on the SD card (and the sim card????) will be erased. I have my address book/contacts exported to sim - I do not want that deleted. Not sure about the reset now. I'm going to unmount the SD card (from the manual) and then remove it. I'm taking it in on Friday to Telus for repair. I prefer to go to the corporate store, not sure what Mike phone they have for a loner. I'm really pissed - just passed the 12 months mark so the 1 year warranty is gone and this happens.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Telus CDMA... for now
    Feedback Score
    Do try the update before sending the phone for repairs, my i1 was pissing me off as well, but now it works fine. Try and find an open WiFi network, I did the update using the public WiFi near work. It might save you big bucks and the hassle of repairs.

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, JusticePain, I sent the phone in for repairs last Friday, so it's been one week already. I'm using an i296 loner phone. The Telus store employee told me it can be anywhere from 3-6 weeks for the repair. I argued that the phone has never been dropped, bang, or come into contact with water/liquid AND that when I did a google search and found some forum threads about other Motorola phones that had this problem (that the ear piece speaker stopped working) - that this sounds like it's a Motorola problem - that Motorola should fix the phone FREE OF CHARGE!! The Telus store employee then stated, that the phone is passed the one year warranty (yeah, by about 3 weeks) - that Motorola won't pay for the repairs, that I would have to. This is why I'm angry about this - first that it happened and second that it happen just after the one year warranty ended. I feel very strongly that Motorola should be paying for this repair.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Telus CDMA... for now
    Feedback Score
    Interesting, I began having the same issues as you did, Quasi-Evil. Earlier this week, I answered a call, and had absolutely NO audio. The person called back, I called back, and NO audio at all. Battery pull, hard reset, nothing worked.

Telus are offering me a better plan on HSPA, and I still have my trusty old HTC Hermes lying somewhere. I just might desert to the HSPA network.

Feedback Score
    JusticePain, is this on your i1 that you are having no audio? That's interesting. The forum threads that I found, people were talking about the ear piece speaker not working a the Motorola Droid and the Defy (sp?). And now on the i1. This definitely sounds like it's a Motorola problem. It's been 2.5 weeks and I have not been contacted yet, so I have no updated info. I thought about contacting Telus to complain about it. I did get a letter last week from Telus, an offer to switch to HSPA/LTE - I wanted to wait for that. I only had the i1 for 1 year and I had planned to use it for another 2 or 3 years until 2014 or 2015 and then switch over to LTE. Motorola is suppose to support iden until 2015 and I think Telus is keeping it until 2015 as well.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Telus CDMA... for now
    Feedback Score
    My i1 worked nearly flawlessly until abruptly starting to do the same thing your i1 did. Like I said, I am not going through the hassle of getting it repaired.

I am still mulling my next move. The HSPA plan Telus offered includes 100 LD minutes, which about equals my use of DC. The plan also included unlimited SMS/MMS, while on MiKE I have to fork an extra $10 for 2500 messages. CID/VM is included as well, that equals my MiKE plan, evenings from 6PM (versus 9PM for MiKE). I take a slight hit in the daytime minutes, 150 instead of 200, but I never go above 100 minutes.

And yeah, according to a Motorola rep, iDEN is to be supported until 2015. But as of right now, my trusty old Hermes and HSPA look more and more tempting.

Feedback Score
    Here's the Update:

On Monday April 09th I went to the Telus Store to get an update on my phone since it had been 3.5 weeks and I found out that my phone was sent back NOT repaired because the repair limit was at $100 and the repair estimate was $141.25. I got really pissed as I was told that if the cost was going to be over $100, that they were suppose to call me and ask if I wanted the phone repaired or not - they didn't call at all! They just sent the phone back. So they had to send my phone back which would take another 3 weeks or so. I told the guy that I was planning on emailing Telus and Motorola to complain that I shouldn't be paying for this repair as it is a Motorola hardware problem. On Tuesday April 24th, I got a message from the Telus Store that my phone was back and ready for pickup. I went in the next day (Wednesday April 25th ) to pick up my phone and I heard something that the one guy was saying to another staff member about my phone. I asked and was told there was no charge - that they (Motorola?) replaced the phone. I'm worried that it is a refurb phone and not a brand new phone. It has a 90-warranty. I made about 4 calls so far and it seems to be working ok. My original phone also had a problem with the proximity sensor - this one works correctly. I'm hoping this phone won't have anymore problems, and I'm planning on using it for another 2-3 years.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3