Nexus One / SE Equinox TM717
    Huawei U8150/Comet
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Questions re: Walmart Family Mobile

For any of you that have signed up for WFM, may I ask a few questions:

1. Can you port from a T-Mobile postpaid plan (out of contract) to WFM?

2. Does WFM let you call forward to anything but voicemail? (I do conditional call forwarding to google voice so missed voicemails are transcribed.)

3. Are there any limitations you are aware of with WFM versus a regular T-Mobile account?

Thanks.

Phone
    Nexus One
    Carrier
    Walmart Family Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't see why you wouldn't be able to port from regular T-Mobile. I ported from AT&T prepaid with no problems.

Call forwarding is supposedly allowed and unrestricted, however I have been so far unable to set up Google Voice for voice mail. My Nexus One gives an error when I try to make the switch. ("Forwarding number change unsuccessful. Please contact your carrier if this problem persists.") I've called WFM support and they have no idea, so they blame my phone. I'm hoping that if WFM gets enough complaints about this then they'll figure out the problem and fix it.

I believe there is one important limitation with WFM vs. regular T-Mobile, though the salesman at Walmart swore up and down there was no difference. The difference is that there's no roaming at all with WFM; if you're out of range of a T-Mobile tower, you get no service, period.

Phone
    Nexus One
    Carrier
    Walmart Family Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I assumed you meant can you port your phone number from regular T-Mobile. If you meant can you use your locked T-Mobile phone, then I don't know first hand but the Walmart salesman told me that would work.

Feedback Score
    Per Walmart Family Mobile customer service and the local Walmart.Roaming is included at no additional charge!As she put it ,it wouldn't make sense for us just to go off of T-Mobile towers we just wouldn't have the coverage.
    Caring Person

Phone
    Nexus One
    Carrier
    Walmart Family Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hmm, I hope that is true about roaming. What I do know though is that while my AT&T signal at my house wasn't great, I always saw at least one bar as long as I didn't go down to the basement. Now with WFM I invariably have "No Service" inside my house. I'd have thought I'd be able to roam on AT&T before seeing "No Service".

Seemingly everywhere I go except my house though the signal and call quality are fine.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The map shows roaming areas (MT/ND/SD for example): http://i.walmartimages.com/i/if/hmp/...verage_Map.pdf

Phone
    Nexus One
    Carrier
    Walmart Family Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Are you sure that WFM map shows roaming areas? On T-Mobile's website they don't specify what is roaming and what is not. But if I compare the map from WFM and the one from T-Mobile here, the T-Mobile one looks more complete. (Look at Maine, for instance.) Too bad WFM doesn't provide a more localized map.

Phones
    Huawei U8150/Comet
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by matmaria View Post
    I assumed you meant can you port your phone number from regular T-Mobile. If you meant can you use your locked T-Mobile phone, then I don't know first hand but the Walmart salesman told me that would work.
    Matmaria, you are correct. I'm interested in porting from regular T-Mobile to WFM. All my phones are already unlocked. The advantage to me of this plan is that you pay for the data you use (and any unused data rolls over). I'm tired of T-Mobile threatening to cut off my data based on which phone I'm using. It makes sense, and is fairer, to charge for the amount of data actually used. I am not a data hog and resent being treated as such. If that forces me to move my family to a different type of plan, well, T-Mobile is losing the extra income it had from me under my current plans.

Feedback Score
    the problem with not having unlimited data available is the fact that android phones use data in the background. Im willing to bet that even with no apps installed the background data usage of syncing contacts and email with basic web browsing (checking bank balances and googling things in public)
    would exceed a Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese a month.
    Last edited by GSMRocks; 10-18-2010 at 08:57 PM.

Phones
    Huawei U8150/Comet
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMRocks View Post
    the problem with not having unlimited data available is the fact that android phones use data in the background. Im willing to bet that even with no apps installed the background data usage of syncing contacts and email with basic web browsing (checking bank balances and googling things in public)
    would exceed a Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese a month.
    All I know is that I'm using a Nexus One with an AT&T GoPhone SIM. I've been buying the pricey $19.99 packages for 100 MB of data. And I've installed an app to watch the data usage (Data Counter Widget). I don't have my phone set to automatically sync with my gmail account, but I do check my pop email account every 15 minutes. I browse the web and regularly read some web sites every day. I don't stream anything. Anyway, a 100 MB package will last me for almost a whole month. I do try and connect to wifi whenever possible, though. Thus far it hasn't really been a strain to keep my web usage fairly low. Therefore, the WMFM WebPaks look fairly attractive to me, especially since they don't expire.

Phone
    Nexus One
    Carrier
    Walmart Family Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Your mileage may vary, but I think the most I've used in a month is something like 50 MB. I avoid downloading apps, music, etc. except when I'm on WiFi. Email and contact syncing hardly amounts to anything. Probably my biggest data hogs are the occasional navigation usage and web browsing (reduced by using Opera mini). At WFM WebPak prices, that 50 MB is less than your Quarter Pounder.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sendpaulmailat View Post
    All I know is that I'm using a Nexus One with an AT&T GoPhone SIM. I've been buying the pricey $19.99 packages for 100 MB of data. And I've installed an app to watch the data usage (Data Counter Widget). I don't have my phone set to automatically sync with my gmail account, but I do check my pop email account every 15 minutes. I browse the web and regularly read some web sites every day. I don't stream anything. Anyway, a 100 MB package will last me for almost a whole month. I do try and connect to wifi whenever possible, though. Thus far it hasn't really been a strain to keep my web usage fairly low. Therefore, the WMFM WebPaks look fairly attractive to me, especially since they don't expire.
    the problem is that data may not work at all. i have an unlocked tmobile gravity t669 and i am afraid the data would not work. i can't find a place in settings to change anything on the data specs plus other people in the forum are saying their data does not work on non-FM phones. anyone actually getting data to work on a non FM phone???

Phone
    Nexus One
    Carrier
    Walmart Family Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Of course data will work with other GSM phones. Otherwise WFM wouldn't be selling activation kits to use in your own phone. My phone is a Nexus One that was never locked to any carrier, but any unlocked GSM phone will work. The WalMart rep told me as well that T-Mobile phones don't need to be unlocked because it's all the same network. The only hitch about data would be that if you are using an unlocked AT&T phone, it might not support the same 3G frequencies that T-Mobile uses. Data will still work, but you will only be able to get 2G speeds. Since you have a T-Mobile phone you're all set anyway.

Phone
    Nexus One
    Carrier
    Walmart Family Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by matmaria View Post
    Are you sure that WFM map shows roaming areas? On T-Mobile's website they don't specify what is roaming and what is not. But if I compare the map from WFM and the one from T-Mobile here, the T-Mobile one looks more complete. (Look at Maine, for instance.) Too bad WFM doesn't provide a more localized map.
    Actually I was just looking over the terms and conditions of WFM. In several places there is language about overuse of the service while roaming, and in reference to the coverage map: "Portions of the maps include networks operated by our roaming partners...". OK, if that's true I still don't know why I have a dead spot in my house where I know there is AT&T coverage. Unless AT&T isn't a roaming partner, but they're the only other GSM provider around, right?

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    AT&T may be a roaming partner in some areas; just not in yours. It's totally a case by case issue, not a universal coverage deal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast