Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is 500mb of data enough?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jodym View Post
    I certainly don't want to sign a contract, but I don't see any other alternative that would allow (a) a subsidized phone purchase and (b) a decent monthly rate for voice + data. I'd appreciate advice, though.
    Well, of course you're not going to get a subsidised phone if you don't sign a contract - what's the motive for Rogers or ANY other company to give you a discount on a phone if you're not going to give them a promise you'll stay with them?

It's a simple fact of life that smartphones are expensive when not on contract. So it's either contract & cheap phone, or no contract and expensive phone :P

That said, you can get pretty sweet deals through retentions with Rogers right now and consider that motivation to sign a contract *and* gt a discount on the phone at the same time.

As for whether or not 500mb is enough - I use my iPhone every day and I've only gone over 500mb a couple of times. The $50 combo plans come with the option to add on 500 mb and you can probably get that charge credited, along with other bonuses. But discussions like those are for the Retention forum :P

Phone
    a hand phone ;)
    Carriers
    My service provider is...
    Not that either! :P
    Feedback Score
    I'm assuming you're an existing customer, right? Call up Customer Relations and have a chat... I'd aim for the 500mb data plan (because it's cheaper) with unlimited data for the first 3 months so you can determine your data use without getting penalized. I have a lot of friends with the iPhone and they don't go over 500mb/month. If you do, just upgrade to the 1gb plan and for your use, $5 more isn't a big deal and you might even get that difference credited too.

Feedback Score
    I just got a 500MB plan on my Blackberry and was surprised to find that I used almost 300MB of data in my first month. It's still way within my limit but it makes me wonder if it would be enough if I got an Android device or iPhone.
    Client of Robbers:

Unlimited Voice Plan
    6GB BlackBerry (BIS) Data Plan
    100 Anytime Canadian LD Mins
    Value Pack
    $73.13

Formerly $58.13 until credits ran out and reps became EXTREMELY un-cooperative!!

Phone
    a hand phone ;)
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    Kazzaca - welcome to Howard Forums!

To answer your question, if you're already hitting 300mb on the Blackberry, it's likely you'll need more for the Android or iPhone because the Blackberry compresses data so you end up using much less. I know many people though use lots of data in the first couple months then less as the novelty wears off.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the heads up Okigire!

I did d/l a whole bunch of apps just out of curiosity in the first 2 weeks, which probably inflated my stats significantly. I guess I'll have to wait and see what the next couple of months usage looks like to get a better idea of what my normal usage will be like.

Phones
    Samsung Note 2
    Blackberry World 8830
    Motorola Q
    Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Talking to people about data over 4 years i've only ever seen 8-10 people actually go over 500 Mb's of data on a smartphone.

Having 4 smartphones and considering myself a fairly light-medium user I myself have never gone over 100 Mb's (most in one months was 68 or so Mb).

The only phones i've ever seen people go over 500 Mb data on are almost all Iphones, and a couple of Blackberry storms.

Phone
    a hand phone ;)
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    I know a couple people who regularly go over 500mb... like you said though, they're on iPhones!

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iridescence View Post
    It's a simple fact of life that smartphones are expensive when not on contract. So it's either contract & cheap phone, or no contract and expensive phone :P
    Thanks for the feedback! I wasn't trying to be excessively naive, I was thinking exactly the same thing--the only way to get a good deal on a phone or to get a decent retentions deal is to sign a contract.

A couple of posts above skomes was saying that it's not worth it to sign a contract, but I really can't see any alternatives. If there was a way to price the subsidies out of your voice plan--i.e. get a cheaper plan based on the fact that you're bringing your own phone onto the network--then maybe. That seems to be the idea that the new entrants have: cheaper plans, but phones with less subsidy built into them.

Quote Originally Posted by iridescence View Post
    That said, you can get pretty sweet deals through retentions with Rogers right now and consider that motivation to sign a contract *and* gt a discount on the phone at the same time.

But discussions like those are for the Retention forum :P
    I posted my current offer from Retentions over in the Retentions forum a couple of days ago and got one response saying it was a decent deal...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2