Thread: LG420 Bluetooth help

Feedback Score

Question LG420 Bluetooth help

Hi all,

I just upgraded my tracfone from the V170 to the LG420G. I'm having a problem with bluetooth. I'm able to send files to my computer, but the phone will not receive. I was trying to send an mp3 to use as a ringtone. This is the first time I've tried to send anything via bluetooth, so I may be missing a simple step. Also, is it possible to update the contact list via the computer (Windows Vista - Outlook 2007)?

thx in Advance

Phone
    Moto W260G, LG420G, LG500G, LG600G, LG900G, Optimus V
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Enjoy the upgrade!

I'm able to send files to my computer, but the phone will not receive.
    I assume that is send files to the computer from the phone. If so, that's good communicaitons work at least.

Bluetooth support is touchy as everyone uses/does something different. So you will have some trial and error to find out what the problem is. hang in there.

For me I just use the drivers that came with my USB Bluetooth adapter's drivers, with XP' 'My BLuetooth places'. When I got o My Bluetooth places and (and my phone is paired with the PC) I will see an LG420G OBEX file transfer (That's a global key phrase you will hear often) icon. This is where file transfers take place (send to your phone). I can simply copy a file from any where in my PC and drop it into that OBEX area. The data will be sent to your phones My Folder > Other Files directory.

Or, I can just find the file I want on my PC (while in windows explorer) right click on the file > send to > Bluetooth > LG420G. That's simple.

That's what I do in XP, I have no idea about Vista. The last suggestion might help you the quickest, if your lashup is configured properly. Again, many lashups, difficult top provide a 1 click fits all support. But remember that key phrase OBEX file transfer when doing homework on the subject if need be.

Some folks use a program called 'OBEX commander' and like it. I found it very flaky. Here is my experience;

Make sure you have deleted every paired device in the phone. And make sure there are no other instances of OC running (I found multiple secretly running).

If you exit a connection, a reconnect wont work. Exit the program, make sure there are no other program instances before running OC again. But remember, before you rerun OC, you must delete all paired devices in the cell phone -AGAIN!

What a hoo-rah.

Moving on...
    One big tip. On some phones (LG600), if you are in an odd menu (in phone) at the time, the transfer will not go through and time out on the PC end. I found that I had to be in a fairly neutral screen like the main menu or have the phone in standby (lid closed). I just tried an odd menu in my 420 while sending a file to the phone and it did just fine.

You wanted to send an MP3 to your phone to use as a ring tone. I just tried sending an MP3 that is 486k in size as a ring tone or a event sound and the 420 said the file was too large. Hope your MP3 is 300kb or less.

Also, is it possible to update the contact list via the computer (Windows Vista - Outlook 2007)?
    Dunno. It's a new phone, no support as usual, and not many experimenters/posters. When you get your Bluetooth issue cured maybe you can be the first to try it and report back.

I know the 420 can send the contacts via bluetooth as "Whole_Contacts.vcf so it says on the phone..But what I find sent to the PC located in the BLuetooth exchange folder (probably another key phrase) (C:\Documents and Settings\myusernamehere\My Documents\Bluetooth Exchange Folder ) is separate .VCR of every contact I have in the phone.

Note the Whole_Contacts.vcf seems to be a process in the phone, that it does -before- it makes a Bluetooth connection and then spits out the individual .VCF's to the destination. The 420 says 'Saving...' But I did not find it saved any where in the phone. so maybe it is just a temporary creation to prepare for sending.

I don't do Outlook at all and never have, so I can't advise. But what I do see when I click on one of those .VCF files is an option to send to address book, which I also do not do so no help there either But I hope some thing here helps you out..

Ah! I see that you CAN send a .VCF to the phone, and have it recognized another 420 discovery! I'll have to ad that to my 420 discoveries posts. It automatically saved the contact. Also note it left a copy in the 'Other Files ' directory in the phone.

So, yes the LG420 can import and export contacts! That must be a Tracfone first. This dumphone gets a little smarter everyday, when you tech support it yourself (smile)

I have also posted my thoughts on import and export of contacts, with screen shots on:

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/topic/3258667/

Look for post #43. I have probably said more here than over there, nothing all that different, except some screen shots of the phone.

Note to everyone, given all the variables on bluetoothing and the troubles that may come up with it, I can't tech support this issue on a case by case issue. I hope you'll understand. It would be nice it it were made straightforward from day one but....

Sorry if this is messy. I'm involved in a Tear down analysis, of a cellphone actually, and I'm a bit tired at this point. I came over here to relax and well...

K-L-M

Feedback Score
    how do you turn on speakerphone from the 520g?

Feedback Score
    Able to send from the computer but not receive? Did you set the LG420g to discovery mode before sending the file? Bluetooth connections are usually of a short duration because its not secure.

Update the contact list via the computer. Yes you can!!!
    Using Bluetooth to update contacts in Outlook and your phone
    That's my favorite part of Bluetooth.

Quote Originally Posted by wutwuzdat View Post
    Hi all,

I just upgraded my tracfone from the V170 to the LG420G. I'm having a problem with bluetooth. I'm able to send files to my computer, but the phone will not receive. I was trying to send an mp3 to use as a ringtone. This is the first time I've tried to send anything via bluetooth, so I may be missing a simple step. Also, is it possible to update the contact list via the computer (Windows Vista - Outlook 2007)?

thx in Advance
    Real Life Dictionary: Cell Phone. A fancy term for mobile answering machine.

Feedback Score
    @dustyrose602
    So after you press the speaker phone button during the call the feature didn't activate?

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyrose602 View Post
    how do you turn on speakerphone from the 520g?
    LG 420G
    Its the center (soft key) button of the directional keys, only accessible when on a call. You will see the speaker symbol, bottom center of the screen, indicating which soft key to push.

Feedback Score
    K_L_M: "Note the Whole_Contacts.vcf seems to be a process in the phone, that it does -before- it makes a Bluetooth connection and then spits out the individual .VCF's to the destination. The 420 says 'Saving...' But I did not find it saved any where in the phone. so maybe it is just a temporary creation to prepare for sending."

I sent my LG420 contacts to my PC (XP sp3) tonight. It created the file as "C:\Documents and Settings\XXX-computer Name\My Documents\Whole_Contacts.vcf" ; just hanging out there, not in any folder. Opened it with "FreeFileViewer." In that utility, each contact appears in the following format:

BEGIN:VCARD
    VERSION:2.1
    N;CHARSET=UTF-8:Roadhouse;Texas
    TEL;VOICE;CHARSET=UTF-8:16165750361
    REV:12345678X654321X
    END:VCARD

I do not use Outlook; this was just an experiment. My technical expertise is limited, so I post this for whatever it may be worth.

This is an old thread, so the issue may be resolved.

Also sent a mp3 file to my phone, and it plays the whole song: But when I tried to use it as a ring tone, the file was too large (over 300k).
    Last edited by KnowledgeSeeker; 04-09-2011 at 01:53 AM.