Thread: Tracfone, what does parameter 06 mean?

Carriers
    ATT Gophone
    Net 10
    Feedback Score

Tracfone, what does parameter 06 mean?

I've seen here on the forum where someone said you can check your texting rates on your Tracfone by checking parameter 08
    So I looked at some of my old tracfones and checked some of the parameters.

I'm not sure what parameter 06 means:
    on my Moto W376g it reads:
    H-INT: 3.00
    RM-INT: 6.0

Is that international roaming? Does that mean I could use my Tracfone in another country as long as it has gsm and the same frequencies?

Phone
    Moto W260G, LG420G, LG500G, LG600G, LG900G, Optimus V
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Is that international roaming? Does that mean I could use my Tracfone in another country as long as it has gsm and the same frequencies?

Yes you are seeing International fees, and no on using your W376 out of country. It does not have a quad band transceiver set, and as far as I know, other countries don't quite use the same frequency ranges. If it did, TF does not have service in other countries.

Careful digging around for params. Too many mistakes and the phone will lock you out of placing calls.

K-L-M
    Last edited by K-L-M; 10-21-2010 at 11:39 AM. Reason: fixed pic

Carriers
    ATT Gophone
    Net 10
    Feedback Score

Thanks!

I appreciate the heads up, just thought it was interesting to look at the different call/roaming/text rates all my phones had.
    I did not know it could cause problems for me to look at these parameters.

Phone
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mommusic
    I did not know it could cause problems for me to look at these parameters.
    (More details on my beware of code entry mode) What happens is: if you are in code entry mode and you guess at a parameter number at random to see what it reveals, and it returns something like 'invalid parameter' too many times, you will end up getting a 'Service Disabled' message on your main screen.

Then you have to get your service re-enabled, and then parameter 00 moves the counter up one.

If you need TF cust. svc. one day and your param 00 is up there, and they don't have a record of why...Well....

personal experience
    But before I knew all this...I successfully mapped out every parameter in my TF LG600G (took a pic of every screen, just like in my last post), and...never got the 'Service Disabled' message.

Thinking all was good, I'd do the same for the newer LG420G. I came across params that had no values so it would say 'invalid parameter'. Once I exited code entry mode, I saw the 'Service disabled' message on the main screen. So, there appears to be a different between those two phones at least. Maybe TF is tightening up on the newer phones.

K-L-M

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by K-L-M View Post
    Then you have to get your service re-enabled, and then parameter 00 moves the counter up one.
    To follow up on The Turks post - you can re-enable your service (after messing it up doing the parameter stuff) by going to the trac web site tech support page, entering your fone info and following the prompts. It will involve entering more code which will also move your par 0 count up even higher as mentioned by K-L-M.
    Having to wait even an hour to get a prepaid wireless plan pin from an online dealer or pin seller is NOT great, good or even mediocre customer service when you consider this instant internet age we live in. Why let anyone convince you otherwise? Understaffed is what it's called.(Two is not a team)

I recently tested the "don't mention a PP Dealer by name" rule here on PP Hofo......trust me, it is still in effect - got me a 7 day ban.

Feedback Score
    What's the "parameter 0 count", and why does being high present a problem? What is it? Why are higher numbers bad?

Also, what do all the parameters mean? Anyone have a detailed list?

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by K-L-M View Post
    TF does not have service in other countries.
    K-L-M
    My "service in other countries" experience with Tracfone is limited to Mexico. A Tracfone will lose service when its fails to get a signal from the US side. In most cases this is just a few blocks from the border. Which is unlike other prepaid carriers such as PPC and T-Mo. Those providers will send a message warning of the higher international roaming charges....but the phone is still usable.

I always found this situation curious. I've bought Mexican TelCel (also owned by Carlos) SIMs in Mexico which will roam in the US on AT&T but an AT&T SIMed Tracfone will not roam on TelCel.

Phone
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    @tracnet - That's what I did when I found I locked myself out of service on my 420, went to the trac web site got some numbers and got my phone going gain, without calling CS, which is a timer saver. But I bet there is a record somewehre of me needing to go through the process on that unit.

@CaptainColeslaw - param 0 holds a value of how many times a code to do something has been performed.

(Examples) My phones purchased new all had a value of 3. When I called TF to fix something, we punched in codes and then parm 0 value went to 4. And when I add airtime cards with promo codes I notice param 0 goes up every time.

So higher numbers are not bad. But unexplainable values might be (due to tampering).

No one has a detailed list. Bewtween all my TF my phones some have values for params, others don't etc.

What do all the parameters mean...Gosh..that is a lot to list here...Of the 177 that I know of off hand...And things that are meaningful to everyone:

IMEI, SIM number, phone number, sms gateway, mms gateway,units charged for in network, roaming, international, roaming international, data, data while roaming, satus of service like disabled or locked, last time airtime was purchased and how many minutes at that time, numbers to dial for emergency calls, firmware version, data allowed, MMS allowed, bluetooth allowed (if your phone has BT), IP address to TF mobile web, WAP address, and which outfit will handle it like Cingular of all folks, java enabled or not (if your phone can do java), phone number for SMS service center, various event counters.

Then- there is the technical stuff!

Again this stuff can vary by phone.

K-L-M

Phone
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    @ 25jive1 - Thnaks for sharing 'other Countries experience'. I have heard the same with folks going to the other border, Canada.

I was going to say something to the effect that one can probably get a prepaid phone from Carlos if going to Mexico, but you beat me to it.

That's good other companies will cross the border, and warn of higher rates if using your phone.

I think I know why TF does not allow use in other countries TF customers want service on the super cheap. So, could you imagine all the calls an complaints they would gets when users see their minutes being deducted at 3X or 6X the normal rate?

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainColeslaw View Post
    If you join the yahoo trac group you can then access a chart showing what many of the parameter values represent. It is in the 'database' section of that group.

Phones
    w370
    w376
    w170
    Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainColeslaw View Post
    What's the "parameter 0 count", and why does being high present a problem? What is it? Why are higher numbers bad?

In the yahoo TF forum you can find a list of parameters, as well as a fount of other useless facts!
    [url]http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Tracfone_Users/
    Last edited by gmannix; 10-22-2010 at 06:25 AM. Reason: would have taken you to the very last entry in the forum