All the phones I listed above.
    LG Cosmos
    Instinct S30
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb LG Cosmos "media player"

okay, I found a "media player" while snooping around the menus of the lg cosmos, here's how I got there.

<---------------------------------->

(from the 'home screen')
    1.enter ##5473784236368(lgservicemenu) press send and then enter 000000(6 zeros) for the service code.

2.go to '8. Get It Now settings -LG'

3.go to '1. Get It Now -LG'

4.(now here's the tricky part) click on the "What's New" option, but when the phone icon pops up (like it's getting ready to get data) press CLR
    [bennor found an easier way, just click on "Browse & Download"]

5.scroll over to the right and select "Media Player"

<---------------------------------------------------->

Now I'm not sure how to get it to work since I'm on linux and can't get bitpim to find my phone, I'm working on setting up a dual-boot with windows to figure this out...

Anyway, if you click on "Play File..." it brings you to a screen where you would select a file where at the top it says "Select File" and on the line below that it says "fs:/~/media"

Like I said before, I have no idea if this works so if someone wants to try and put music in that folder then go through the menus to get to the "Media Player" and try it out for me, that would be great.

Since I keep seeing these posts about the Cosmos not having a media player, I figured I should share what I have found since you guys here at HF have helped me many many times in the past.

Please post anything about if you can find the program or not; or even if you manage to get files into that directory and have it actually play something.

Thank you for your time.

--edit--
    sorry for the low quality, i took these with a samsung instinct s30...
    (pictures of the various menus and the media player)
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=2c740cef48
    Last edited by quadkidd02; 10-23-2010 at 07:07 PM. Reason: added a link to pictures

Feedback Score
    Haven't seen what you posted before, will check it out later.

Yea people keep claiming the Cosmos doesn't play MP3's or music. The Cosmos will play music provided you format a microSD card in the phone and copy MP3s to it. After formatting the card in the phone there will be four folders ("contact", "my_pix", "my_ringtones", and "my_sounds") located on the card. Copying MP3's to the "my_sounds" folder will allow the Cosmos Media Center --> Tunes & Tones --> My Sounds app to play the MP3 music.

The Cosmos will support the following file format (may not be a complete list):
    My Pictures: png, jpg, bmp, gif
    My Sounds: mp3, mid, qcp, acc, aac+
    My Ringtones: mid, midi, qcp, pmd,aac, mp3, wav

On a side note, I've made a posting over on the Verizon Community forum that details various aspects of the Cosmos to dispel some of the misinformation floating around in one of the threads over there (last post on page 2 of that thread): http://community.vzw.com/t5/Cell-Pho.../176879/page/2

ETA: OK played around with BitPim (on Windows 7) and the Cosmos a little. Changing the BitPim setting "Phone Type" to "LG-VX8560 (chocolate 3)" will allow BitPim to access the Cosmos file structure. The only "media" folder I see (outside of the microSD card) so far is located at "/brew/mod/mediaplayer/media". But I cannot figure out how to get BitPim to transfer a file to that folder. <shrugs> Going to spend some more time fooling around with BitPim and the Cosmos. Hopefully the makers of BitPim will update the program for the Cosmos.

ETA2: There is also a "Music Settings" entry on the Service Menu as well. When selected it says "MP3 Disabled". Wonder if this is one of the Verizon crippled "feature" like they've done on other phones. Also the "Media Player" is listed in "Browse & Download" as well. And it doesn't appear to try and connect via data when going through the "Browse & Download" option.
    Last edited by bennor; 10-23-2010 at 12:40 PM.

Phones
    LG Cosmos
    Instinct S30
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I read about all the things the phone supports, I couldn't quite get an mp3 to "stick" in the "my_ringtones" folder. It might be because of that "Music Settings" option. Do you know if anyone has tried to connect to this phone with qualcomm tools? (like qpst or something)

Feedback Score
    I have MP3 files sitting in both the "my_ringtones", and "my_sounds" folders on the microSD card (a SanDisk 1 gig card) and the Cosmos sees the files and plays them (even as a ringtone) without issue. I even have my wall paper image sitting in the "my_pix" folder. I've set the phone to save everything it can to the data card due to the limited internal memory (10.8 MB) of the phone.

Haven't seen anyone comment on trying to use qpst or the qualcomm tools to access a Cosmos.

If I had to hazard a guess; I suspect that Verizon has crippled the firmware on this phone to limit the media player so as to "encourage" people to buy the multi media (or better) line of phones. They did something similar with my previous phone, a Moto V3m. That one had some intentionally crippled features. Had to use the "P2K Seem Editor" program to hack that phone to restore features that Verizon intentionally disabled.

Phones
    LG Cosmos
    Instinct S30
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I had a v3m before too, a lot was disabled by verizon.

Anywho, I was able to put an mp3 in the "media" folder in the phone by using the VX8560's (chocolate 3) setting in bitpim. But when i went to play the file in the "Media Player" the phone simply restarted.

Going to try accessing it with some of my qualcomm tools here in a bit.

---edit---
    qpst lets me in, and allows me to browse the filesystem. going to check out some other things before I report back again.

---edit2---
    .mid files make the phone restart when trying to play them in the "Media Player" also...
    Last edited by quadkidd02; 10-23-2010 at 07:14 PM.

Feedback Score
    found this thread on the google...

are you guys still trying to enable the media player? I tried listening to an mp3 on my cosmos with a 2.5mm>3.5mm adapter and only the right channel worked. I think the only way to actually play music will be with a software hack, does verizon have an API for writing apps that I could use to make my own media player?

Feedback Score
    i have been successful in playing music with the sound and tune app but i want a legit music or media player for the phone

Feedback Score

Unhappy Error with "Media Player"

I created a folder on my SD card (fs:/media/) and it is letting me open the folder in the "Media Player," but, it reboots when I press play song.