Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: VA Conversion Progress

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Uhde View Post
    The 3G card is the USBConnect Lightning. I just got my AT&T letter regarding the data card.
    Thanks for letting us know! Looks like it is generally a good card, though I'll probably buy the Shockwave from eBay/Craigslist to get HSPA+ speeds.

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    According to info posted online, the network in the divested areas won't be HSPA+ so it won't matter.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Uhde View Post
    According to info posted online, the network in the divested areas won't be HSPA+ so it won't matter.
    That would be unfortunate. I can't imagine why they wouldn't at least push the software update to it...

For me, it doesn't matter too much as I spend maybe 1% of my time actually in a divested area.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Backhaul... doing HSPA+ requires a lot of backhaul capacity that's hard to come by in rural areas.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note5, iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon $80 promotional plan (main), T-Mobile ($30 plan), GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Here's what kills me about all this BS.

There are a lot of areas that are less rural than the Alltel acquisitions that will be waiting for 3G far beyond what the Alltel to AT&T are getting on the HSPA 14.4 train. For people like myself and ilvla2 who complain about this a lot, it's complete bush league on AT&T's part. I could name a lot of areas that need HSPA more. Instead, the Alltel ex-CDMA areas get the fun while the GSM buzz areas like where I live sit at the end of the bus. Idiots.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well, as someone in an Alltel area, I couldn't disagree more. It's about managing expectations and about the benefit of new build. 1 - AT&T has to build a new network in the acquired markets one way or another, so it may as well be UMTS. 2 - Alltel customers are used to EVDO rA... you can't downgrade them to EDGE without a mass exodus; whereas in places that are AT&T EDGE now, they've always been EDGE. 3 - AT&T promised the government they'd have a UMTS network in the Alltel markets as a buyout condition.

Conclusion - it's not about who "needs" it more (I'd argue I need it just as much as you do, thank you very much). It's about the joy of being done as part of a new network buildout in an acquired territory vs as a long-delayed upgrade.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Now that we are at the end of October--and device orders are due by tomorrow--I wonder what timeframe we are looking at for the 1st group of markets to go live. Day after orders due? Week after? Anyone think we'll be getting anymore information soon, or have any more info for the timing of VA?
    Last edited by newyork4me; 11-04-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post
    Now that we are at the end of October--and device orders are due by tomorrow--I wonder what timeframe we are looking at for the 1st group of markets to go live. Day after orders due? Week after? Anyone think we'll be getting anymore information soon, or have any more info for the timing of VA?
    *crickets chirp*

I take it that nobody has more information as to the progression of the conversion?

Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    *crickets chirp*

I take it that nobody has more information as to the progression of the conversion?
    I was curious about this as well. For example, in the Southwest Virginia counties, our ship date is 12-4-10. Does anyone know when the actual turn-on date will be? When would we be able to use our phones?

An AT&T CSR told me that our scheduled turn-on date was 12-10-10...but can anyone confirm this? I'm not sure if he knew exactly what I was asking. Thanks!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trh98 View Post
    I was curious about this as well. For example, in the Southwest Virginia counties, our ship date is 12-4-10. Does anyone know when the actual turn-on date will be? When would we be able to use our phones?

An AT&T CSR told me that our scheduled turn-on date was 12-10-10...but can anyone confirm this? I'm not sure if he knew exactly what I was asking. Thanks!
    When you say Southwest Virginia counties, do you mean the ones that AT&T has grouped with TN? (11-24 order due date)? Or the 11-1 due date?

I'm an 11-1 due date (first group), and I haven't been told of my ship date or turn-on date yet
    Last edited by newyork4me; 11-08-2010 at 10:36 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    When you say Southwest Virginia counties, do you mean the ones that AT&T has grouped with TN? (11-24 order due date)? Or the 11-1 due date?

I'm an 11-1 due date (first group), and I haven't been told of my ship date or turn-on date yet
    I believe we are grouped with TN as we border the Tri-Cities TN region. When I ordered our AT&T phones through the website, it said the estimated ship date was 12-4-10. I also confirmed this at the local Alltel store. I'm just wondering when the actual turn-on date will be for the GSM.

If your due date was 11-1, I would think they would be shipping phones soon if not already.

Feedback Score
    Haven't seen any phones yet.

Feedback Score
    anyone have their shipment conformation yet? Our expected ship date was 11/8 and nothing yet for me...

Feedback Score
    I'm in Pittsylvania County, and we were told to expect our phones to be shipped around 11/8 as well. Just yesterday they sent notification that the phones are now being shipped.

Feedback Score
    I'm in Danville and received my text today, I'd much rather have tracking info so I know when it's coming

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast