Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to root the Cricket Huawei Ascend (Huawei M860)

Feedback Score

How to root the Cricket Huawei Ascend (Huawei M860) Android + Wifi Tether

This is how I rooted the device. I googled and could not find instructions on how to do this so I modified instructions from: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=797397 (Thanks to CLShortFuse for his posts).

I make no claims nor warranties (If you brick your phone and miss that million dollar phone call, your phone's alarm stops working and you loose your job, your wireless company cuts or slows down your phone's internet because of downloading too much - actually the latter now has a higher probably if you tether as mentioned below - you do this at your own risk).

1. Go to this forum (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682) and download SuperOneClick (download link at the bottom of 1st post) - I used v1.5.1 which is the latest as of the time of this writing. Edit: I haven't confirmed but 1.5.2 may work for you by just clicking on the SuperOneClick file as long as you have the SD card removed from the phone in debug mode.

2. If you haven't done so yet install the android-sdk from: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html (if you are running windows you will also have to install the phone's drivers - the driver installation should come up the first time you plug the phone's usb into your computer).

3. Extract the zip file you downloaded in step 1 (you will only need these 3 files: su, busybox and superuser.apk - you can try running SuperOneClick.exe if you are using a windows computer; I'm not using windows so I can't verify).

4. Copy su, busybox, and superuser.apk into the tools directory of android-sdk.
    Put phone in debug mode.

5. This step is only if your running linux. If your running linux you need to install the program usb-modeswitch, or usb_modeswitch depending on your distro, (using Debian linux 5 (Lenny) I did:
    Code:
    aptitude install usb-modeswitch
    ). Then as root do:
    Code:
    usb_modeswitch -W -v 12d1 -p 1031 -V 12d1 -P 1035 -M "5553424370ab71890600000080010a11060000000000000000000000000000" -s 20
    (this makes linux properly identify your phone, which you will have to do any time you use adb on this phone).

6. From a terminal (command line) change to the android/tools directory and carefully do these steps (carefully as you may only get one chance). Also if your running windows remove the "./" from all the commands.
    Code:
    ./adb push rageagainstthecage /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage
    Code:
    ./adb shell
    Code:
    cd /data/local/tmp
    Code:
    chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage
    Code:
    ./rageagainstthecage
    7. Now wait until you get kicked out from adb before you do the following:
    Code:
    ./adb shell
    If everything worked now you should se a "#" instead of the "$" you saw previously in the adb shell which means you shouldn't get "permission denied" in the following steps:

Code:
    mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mdtblock4 /system
    Code:
    exit
    Code:
    ./adb push su /system/bin/su
    Code:
    ./adb push busybox /system/bin/busybox
    Code:
    ./adb push sqlite3 /system/bin/sqlite3
    Code:
    ./adb push superuser.apk /system/app/superuser.apk
    Code:
    ./adb shell
    Code:
    cd /system/bin
    Code:
    chmod 4755 su
    Code:
    chmod 4755 busybox
    Code:
    chmod 4755 sqlite3
    Code:
    reboot
    If you did everything else right and just messed up on the step above that says "./adb push superuser.apk /system/app/superuser.apk", like I did, just go to the android market from the phone and install: Superuser (by ChainsDD).

If everything worked you can now install Barnacle Wifi Tether from the android market and have your laptop access the phone via wireless. If you do install the Wifi Tether make sure you hit the MENU button, select Settings, and then select Wireless Encryption and set a WEP key; if you do not set the wep key you are sharing your valuable 1 gb of bandwith that Cricket allow (Cricket does throttle or cap your internet if you go over which is now very easy to do ).

Edit: After trying to use vi from the terminal it turns out the busybox install didn't work from step 8. To fix this if you need busybox just download BusyBox (by Stephen (Stericson)) from the android market. This will install a BusyBox installer app on your phone. When you run the installer it will show "Please Wait, Please wait while we locate BusyBox and gather system data..." for about 10 to 15 minutes - make sure you do not close the installer or open other apps while this is running. When the "Please Wait" message finally goes away select install and you will get the "Please Wait..." message again. After another 5 to 10 minutes you will see in green "Status Done!". At this point everything should be working.

Happy Rooting
    Last edited by sethlang; 11-01-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Feedback Score
    something doesn't seem right I've tried this multiple times and you had to leave something out? I get access denied at ./rageagainstthecage it goes smoothly till there.

Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Ok so I'm new to this and I have a question. Why er... what is the reasoning behind rooting your Huawei Ascend? (other than the Wifi tethering mentioned) And is this something that is worth trying? Thanks and be gentle... lol

Phones
    M860 ascend locust *RooTeD*.prl.42600.Linux version 3.0-git
    1st cricket phone sprint Mogul ppc
    experiment Blackberry 8350i mms wap pushmail nav os5 boostmobile anaworm full service books
    Carriers
    cricket
    Google voice
    Feedback Score
    Can anyone else confirm this method for rooting the m860?

Sent from my M860 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbrleatherwood View Post
    something doesn't seem right I've tried this multiple times and you had to leave something out? I get access denied at ./rageagainstthecage it goes smoothly till there.
    If you did:
    Code:
    chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage
    you should not get access denied.

Phones
    Dare (cricKet)
    6900 (cricKet)
    Omnia (cricket)Wap/MMS NO EVDO!!!!
    Carriers
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Finally I got the Cricket M860 Ascend to work using SuperOneClick version 1.3 SuperOneClickv1.3-ShortFuse.zip without a SD card inserted. It looks like this also would work for the Huawei U8100 as well.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=1#post8898242

Thanks to sethlang for the earlier method. I tried it but I couldn't get it to work for me. Maybe I needed to remove the SD card as superonclick also uses the rageagainstthecage method?

I restored to factory before beginning and setup the USB debugging as well.

It took a few minutes to run but at the end it was rooted. After that I installed barnacle successfully.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I did have the SD card removed, and you do need to have the phone in debug mode.

Feedback Score
    I cant get it to work. I tried superoneclick 1.3 but it keeps looping after -- "killing adb server" * server not running -- I tried Command line -- ./adb push rageagainstthecage /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage -- but it says it cant find rageagainstthecage file. im on windows xp. i have the sd card slot empty. Help!!!

Feedback Score
    If you are using windows remove the "./".

Feedback Score
    I have ROOTED after countless looping with superoneclick 1.2-1.3-1.5.2- and 1.5.3. it finally worked with 1.3 when i Copy these three files from the Android SDK tools folder...

adb[/URL]

AdbWinApi.dll

AdbWinUsbApi.dll

and replace the ones in the S.O.C. 1.3 folder. with-in 5 minutes rooted with superuser installed. thanks X10iUser from [URL="http://androidforums.com/x10-all-things-root/209871-rooted-2-1-a.html"] for the fix.

Phones
    Dare (cricKet)
    6900 (cricKet)
    Omnia (cricket)Wap/MMS NO EVDO!!!!
    Carriers
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    "Copy these three files from the Android SDK tools folder...

adb[/URL]

AdbWinApi.dll

AdbWinUsbApi.dll

and replace the ones in the S.O.C. 1.3 folder. with-in 5 minutes rooted with superuser installed. "

I had the same problem this worked for me. Also de-select the unknown apps in settings-applications

Thanks to nice1013

Feedback Score

Permssions error

I can't get it to work.

I can successfully run the rageagainstthecage, but when I log in again I still get the $ prompt and I get permissions errors on the mount command.

I've removed the SD card and tried both with "Unknown Sources" turnned off and on.

I've also copied the three files from the SuperOneClock to the Android SDK directory as well as copying adb.exe and the other two files to the SuperOneClick directory.

Any other ideas?

Phones
    M860 ascend locust *RooTeD*.prl.42600.Linux version 3.0-git
    1st cricket phone sprint Mogul ppc
    experiment Blackberry 8350i mms wap pushmail nav os5 boostmobile anaworm full service books
    Carriers
    cricket
    Google voice
    Feedback Score
    You can root the m860 with z4root_1.2.0

Sent from my M860 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the note, I had tried z4root after posting that. With a little digging I found a new 1.2.0 version and it worked, thanks!

Phone
    Huawei Ascend
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, don't root the phone this way. Use Z4 root. Fastest and easiest way.
    ARE YOU A PREPAID ANDROID USER? COME JOIN US @ HTTP://PREPAIDANDROIDS.NET

THOUSANDS OF MEMBERS READY TO HELP YOU!

SOME PHONES WE SUPPORT: HUAWEI ASCEND, SANYO ZIO, AND THE OPTIMUS V AND MORE!

CricKet is getting the Optimus C... check out it @ PrepaidAndroids.net

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast