Thread: Palm Pre 2

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 4 & HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Question Palm Pre 2

It features a 1ghz processor, webOS 2.0, and a new glass screen, but the keyboard appears the same, unfortunately. The guy at the Verizon store today said his district manager is using the Pre 2 and claims that all the issues that existed with the Pre Plus have been corrected. I know that's probably a tall tale, but one can hope. I'm planning on picking on up on November 11th when it's released to take the place of my Droid 2 and Galaxy S. Anyone else on board or even slightly interested?

Feedback Score
    I see no real difference between this and the current Pre Plus. It has roughly the same exact design, incremental changes in the OS, and specs that are dated before it's release.

Device(s)
    Storm
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Palm has a great OS, they just need some outstanding hardware/device to help put them on the map.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubbed81 View Post
    Palm has a great OS, they just need some outstanding hardware/device to help put them on the map.
    Agreed, but the Pre 2 is not the hardware that will interest anyone other than current Pre owners.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Does WebOS have a decent amount of apps? The Palm Pre 2's hardware has disqualified it from my consideration but in the future if they come out with something decent with WebOS, the number of apps will definitely be an important factor in regards to a potential purchase.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid X
    Feedback Score
    You gonna pay retail for that sucker? :P

I would, but the design hasn't changed much, screen resolution is still not the greatest. webOS 2.0 looks fantastic though

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've always liked the look and form factor of the Palm Pre since it was first introduced. I've never had one, so I can't speak to the actual performance, but if I were in the market for a smartphone, I'd consider it. I know it has outdated specs compared to a lot of phones today, but not everyone is looking for a huge screen slab phone or side-slider. A larger screen would definitely be nice on it, but I'm personally partial to regular sliders with actual keyboards under them. WebOS 2.0 looks nice (I liked webOS 1 from demoing the first-gen pre's and pre-plusses). It'll be interesting to see what new phones come down the pipe after this.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by misterSelf View Post
    I see no real difference between this and the current Pre Plus. It has roughly the same exact design, incremental changes in the OS, and specs that are dated before it's release.
    I know, but while I do find Android usable, I'm simply not content with it. I don't feel like my information is based enough on the phone itself, but rather on Google's servers. I like the way Apple does it, as a backup and sync, but Google feels like what you do on the web will always supersede what is done on the phone, which is totally backwards for me. I often have to change calendar information online because after successfully changing it on the device, it simply reverts back. And the Fascinate has a strange quirk where you cannot set a reminder to sound before the actual event if the event is recurring. There are so many of these odd little quirks that were never an issue on webOS. So while the hardware on the Pre 2 could be lightyears beyond what it actually is (the screen sucks and I hope and pray that the keyboard has gotten a major upgrade), I just want to get away from my current Android experience. Now, the other option is the Merge. Granted, it's obviously still Android but it's also Sense, which may or may not fix some of the quirks. At this point, I don't know what I'm going to do, but I'm leaning toward the Pre 2. Of course, I'll first play with both and make my mind of from there and as always, if I'm not happy with it, I'll simply return it.

I hope you helps you understand my thinking, misterSelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith1212 View Post
    Does WebOS have a decent amount of apps? The Palm Pre 2's hardware has disqualified it from my consideration but in the future if they come out with something decent with WebOS, the number of apps will definitely be an important factor in regards to a potential purchase.
    Not really. There are enough apps to get by but it really amounts to nothing when compared to Android or iOS.

Quote Originally Posted by pix3l View Post
    You gonna pay retail for that sucker? :P

I would, but the design hasn't changed much, screen resolution is still not the greatest. webOS 2.0 looks fantastic though
    I always pay full retail for my phones. I'm pretty much never eligable for upgrades because I buy a new phone every couple months. Recently (the past few months) though, I've only paid full retail for my Droid2 and Galaxy S.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    A 1 GHz processor and 512MB of RAM aren't all that dated. The biggest issue for me is the screen resolution. I can live with a 3.1" screen, but 320x480 just isn't cutting it anymore. Still, I'll probably get this phone when it comes out. The optimizations made in webOS 2.0 along with the processor speed bump should make for a much speedier experience than the current iteration. And webOS is still my favorite smartphone OS.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Agreed on all counts! I wouldn't have a big issue with this phone had they upped the resolution, because the screen is exactly the same as the first Pre and that just isn't acceptable for 2010.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakes View Post
    I hope that helps you understand my thinking, misterSelf.
    I do. I am equally torn. I like webOS. I just think that in this current market, HP/Palm has to aim a little higher or different when it comes to design. I'm not saying that they have to follow everyone and put out a 4-4.3 inch slate, but something a little different wouldn't hurt. I find it inexcusable to release practically the same phone (with a few incremental changes) and expect anyone to notice. If they didn't notice the first time around, what's going to bring them to the table this time? Verizon? Better advertising? What? Because it certainly isn't striking hardware.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by misterSelf View Post
    I do. I am equally torn. I like webOS. I just think that in this current market, HP/Palm has to aim a little higher or different when it comes to design. I'm not saying that they have to follow everyone and put out a 4-4.3 inch slate, but something a little different wouldn't hurt. I find it inexcusable to release practically the same phone (with a few incremental changes) and expect anyone to notice. If they didn't notice the first time around, what's going to bring them to the table this time? Verizon? Better advertising? What? Because it certainly isn't striking hardware.
    You're right, to gain attention and sales, they needed a more striking, newer design. Unfortunately, they didn't do that. They (hopefully) fixed what needed to be fixed, gave it internal specs to compete with what's out there today, and left it alone otherwise. So while it really sucks and I wish I could change it, that's what we're left with. So that's what I have to decide whether it's worth it or not. At this point, I don't know. The Merge seems like an equal disappointment, so I guess it's the lesser of two evils at this point, but I'd really like to give webOS another shot. I'm a little tired of everything Android. I'm going to go to Verizon on the 12th and give both a chance and just go from there.

Device(s)
    samsung S7 edge & note 5
    Carrier(s)
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wait till CES 2011 unless you really love the current form factor... The Pre 2 is the last device upgrade that Palm had on the drawing board prior to the HP buyout. HP Palm has a few new devices coming out in 2011 including a PalmPad...

Quote Originally Posted by Jakes View Post
    You're right, to gain attention and sales, they needed a more striking, newer design. Unfortunately, they didn't do that. They (hopefully) fixed what needed to be fixed, gave it internal specs to compete with what's out there today, and left it alone otherwise. So while it really sucks and I wish I could change it, that's what we're left with. So that's what I have to decide whether it's worth it or not. At this point, I don't know. The Merge seems like an equal disappointment, so I guess it's the lesser of two evils at this point, but I'd really like to give webOS another shot. I'm a little tired of everything Android. I'm going to go to Verizon on the 12th and give both a chance and just go from there.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenTeaCrv View Post
    Wait till CES 2011 unless you really love the current form factor... The Pre 2 is the last device upgrade that Palm had on the drawing board prior to the HP buyout. HP Palm has a few new devices coming out in 2011 including a PalmPad...
    I buy a new phone every couple months, so I can't wait that long. If new phones do come then though, I'll definitely pick on up. So, just to be clear, I'm sure I'll be getting both. I appreciate the information, though!

And I LOVE the phone on the left in your signature. But is that really the Pre 2? It looks so much more elegant and refined than the Pre 2 I saw pictures of. If it is the Pre 2 though, then there's no question that I'll be getting it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm so confused now! BGR just posted a picture of the same phone I was just asking about, claiming it to be the Pre 2, but PreCentral shows what I always thought was the Pre 2. Which one is real?!

New Pre 2 (BGR): http://www.bgr.com/2010/11/07/five-f...ebos-2-0-code/

Old Pre 2 (PreCentral): http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-2...a-glass-screen

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast