Thread: Which HTC do I purchase

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question Which HTC do I purchase

Well ... I'm a BlackBerry user - by trade and preference - due to how I rely on the following core system features before any apps. I support BES, BlackBerry, and Windows XP/7 machines daily.

* PIM - Calendar, Contacts (lots of data), Notes (must sync with Win7 Outlook07/10), Tasks.
    * Must make calls clearly - no echo'd voice to/from, no static, no issues with ending a call when you mean to end it (IP3GS had issues).
    * Browser - HTML5 with tabbed browsing - cannot go back to relying ONLY on WML2.
    * PDF sourced eBook reader - where I can load my own eBooks I plan to finish. Not just purchase.
    * 720P Video recording and Quality pictures in daylight or twillight/low light.
    * Record Voice notes and ability to block calls (annoyed by sales agents).

Since I love physical keyboards and shortcuts that I'm used to on my old 9700, I'm interested in the HTC Desire Z (which will debut on Bell Mobility soon) & considering the HTC 7 Pro Windows Phone 7 unit. I like the design of the latter just a tad more & I'm currently on Mac OS X at home so their connector helps but I can always trade for a Win7 or just buy one.

So is it Desire Z or wait for 7 Pro Q1 2011?
    PS: I'm on Rogers Wireless and carrier choices will be Bell/Telus Mobility and they use 1900/850Mhz 3G/HSPA bands.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated - especially learning about Android from a power user perspective (not hacker or rooter) from scratch. Again PIM is critical along with sync'ing locally &/or with cloud.

Thanks
    Formerly: Prom1, now I'm Supa_Fly!!
    My Feedback

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Any help on this?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Hey Prom1... as you may remember, we have many of the same requirements, and I was a heavy BB user as well. I gave up my last berry back in Feb and have been using a Telus Milestone on ATT. It works well, but is not quite a good as the BB for exchange email. The best exchange client I have found is touchdown (paid, about $20USD) and does a pretty decent job and gets better with every release.

I have just ordered a Desire Z (NAM version), its suppose to be shipped Thurs and I can give you a better review after I get it. In general while the corporate mail experience is not quite a good as a berry (and the keyboard on my milestone is very mediocre, but hopefully the D-Z is much better), most everything else is better on Android. My main concern was a larger screen compared to my 9700, but I really like a hardware keyboard. My milestone is good for calls, but probably not as good as my 9700 was. Also, one other area the BB is much better at is battery life. With the stock battery I could barely get thru a normal day IN the office and never did when I was travelling. To solve that, I have a 2800ma extended battery for the milestone and plan to get an extended battery for my D-Z as well.

Hope that at least addresses some of your questions.
    Carl

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    on other think you mentioned is PIM sync. touchdown will do contacts (i have 2800 contacts in my database), calendar and tasks. It does not do notes and I also rely on these. However, I have an app called evernote that does a great job syncing my exchange/outlook notes to evernote and then there is an evernote app for android. I am using W7 64 bit on one laptop and still running XP Pro on another.

Device(s)
    Nexus One, Droid Incredible, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    The Milestone aka GSM Droid uses a membrane keyboard, but the Desire Z uses good old fashioned buttons so that should feel good. Ironically, some of Motorola's cheaper Androids like the Cliq has better keyboard than the Milestone.

From a power user point of view, I would take the Desire Z. You can do offline maps like you can do with Nokia Ovi Maps, and you also got a unified mail box like Blackberry or iOS 4. Basic Android (at least up to 2.2) and WP7 still doesn't have unified mail boxes yet.

Also the Pro 7 still uses the old generation 8250 Snapdragon, but the Desire Z uses the new generation Snapdragon 7230, which although has a slower clock speed, outruns the older Snapdragon while generating less heat and saving battery life. I like to go with the new Snapdragons as much as possible, you can sometimes feel the heat and power drain from the phones using the old Snapdragons once they get busy.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Prom1 View Post
    Well ... I'm a BlackBerry user - by trade and preference - due to how I rely on the following core system features before any apps. I support BES, BlackBerry, and Windows XP/7 machines daily.

* PIM - Calendar, Contacts (lots of data), Notes (must sync with Win7 Outlook07/10), Tasks.
    * Must make calls clearly - no echo'd voice to/from, no static, no issues with ending a call when you mean to end it (IP3GS had issues).
    * Browser - HTML5 with tabbed browsing - cannot go back to relying ONLY on WML2.
    * PDF sourced eBook reader - where I can load my own eBooks I plan to finish. Not just purchase.
    * 720P Video recording and Quality pictures in daylight or twillight/low light.
    * Record Voice notes and ability to block calls (annoyed by sales agents).

Since I love physical keyboards and shortcuts that I'm used to on my old 9700, I'm interested in the HTC Desire Z (which will debut on Bell Mobility soon) & considering the HTC 7 Pro Windows Phone 7 unit. I like the design of the latter just a tad more & I'm currently on Mac OS X at home so their connector helps but I can always trade for a Win7 or just buy one.

So is it Desire Z or wait for 7 Pro Q1 2011?
    PS: I'm on Rogers Wireless and carrier choices will be Bell/Telus Mobility and they use 1900/850Mhz 3G/HSPA bands.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated - especially learning about Android from a power user perspective (not hacker or rooter) from scratch. Again PIM is critical along with sync'ing locally &/or with cloud.

Thanks
    HTC desire 7 Pro will be a nice option rather than Desire Z (only if you are not concerned bout your budget limitations) or else you should opt for Desire Z as it wont be much expensive and it will match quality some what to that of 7 Pro. More detailed comparison between both will be found here: http://www.htc.com/www/product/7pro/specification.html

http://www.htc.com/www/product/desir...ification.html
    and on amazon or any other online portals like fones, mobilefun etc u'll be able to buy them online as well as for htc desire covers or any other accessories for any of the above products could also be found there, however its a matter of choice. Thnks
    Last edited by Aaron96; 05-07-2011 at 05:54 AM. Reason: misspelled