Thread: Going to States then Bahamas.. should I bring my phone?

Feedback Score

Going to States then Bahamas.. should I bring my phone?

I booked a flight to the states in December. I will be staying there for three days, and then I will be going on a cruise to the Bahama's for a week.

I'm wondering if it's worth it for me to bring my blackberry with me. Really, all I would just need my phone for email. I wouldn't use it for calling out or any other kind of data usage.

I know I will be getting reception in the States, but how big will my phone bill be that month? Does email use a lot of data? Also, will I be able to check email in the Bahama's, and what would the fees be like there? Should I be looking at getting one of the US data plans for the 3 days (and are they worth it?). And are there plans for the Bahamas - would I need one?

Thanks!

Phones
    A3LSMG900T, L6ARCV70UW, QMNRM-381, A3LGTI9100, PYARM-601, PYARM-529, PPIRM-598, QMNRM-11
    PYARM-244, QTLRH-106, PPIRM-510, QTKRM-364, QURRM-485, QMNRH-66, QMNRH-55, QMNRH-71, QMNRH-34,
    BCG-E2817A, BCG-E2816A, IHDT56PG3, PKRNVWMC679, N7NAC763S, QISE181, QFXRM-675X...
    Carrier
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, China Mobile, au by KDDI, Travel SIM UK
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    steeped,

Greetings.

We have got the similar questions recently. Please check out the following threads for some insights first...

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...g-Rates-Passes
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...n-(Cruise-Ship)

If your means of communication is mission critical - even during your vacation, then money is no object for the convenience. It is likely an one-time event, not worthy for subscribing specific plans which designed for heavier usage pattern for extended period outside the country. Perhaps you should consider the two-way satellite communication too. Otherwise, it is not worthy for the expensive charges.

So enjoy your trip in the sunshine

--

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Feedback Score
    Well, having the phone isn't critical but it would be out of convenience. From what I read, its $25/mb in the Bahamas? How many mb should email take? Also, what are the U.S. rates?

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3/SW USB AC319U aircard+cradlepoint router
    -> Samsung A540 -> Moto Razr V3C -> BB 7130e -> BB 8830 -> BB 9630 -> Galaxy S3
    Sony CM-B1207 Clearnet PCS -> Sanyo 4000 -> Nokia 6188 ->
    Carriers
    Telus Mobility/ "Tablet 5" + 2 "Share 30 Faves"
    Feedback Score
    You can take steps to minimize your data on a blackberry. A few MB of usage in total if you remove any third party apps that may update in the background. Turn off the HTML rendering feature on email, setup BIS server side filters to only forward messages that you consider important.

Remember that on HSPA you will be charged a roaming fee on text messages in the USA even for incoming messages. On CDMA they do not charge any roaming fees on text messages in the USA (yet). You can try and disable your inbound SMS before you leave if you want to avoid paying for these.

Best to try things out before you leave and watch the data usage page to see how little data you need.

On cruise ships I would leave the phone turned off.
    Clearnet Digital PCS

We think everyone should be able to afford a wireless phone. That's why we were the first wireless company in North America to offer pay-by-the-second airtime, and why we don't charge an activation fee. NO scary contract to sign. Immediate national coverage. And a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. Yes, it's finally time to get a wireless phone.
    f u t u r e . f r i e n d l y™

Best viewed with Netscape 3.0 at 800 x 600 resolution.

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BB Torch 9800: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.246 Mobile Safari/534.1+)

^ Let's not forget about that outside of the US there is a "20KB per session" rule, and data is billed in incremements of 20KB. Even a small amount of actual data can add up when they bill you like this.
    Last edited by DennyCrane; 10-31-2010 at 11:05 AM.