Thread: What phone to get?

Carrier
    VM
    Feedback Score

What phone to get?

So looks like talking to sprint, not going to match VM's $25 deal.
    So I got the RT, and love it.
    Wife thinks it's to complicated.
    She needs just simple phone, & email. I'd like to get a qwerty keyboard or she'll never txt or write an email from it.

X-TC, Loft, RT2. What do you think is best, simple, cheapest deal?

(RS has the Loft $20 off this weeks ad making it $50)
    ZTE Awe

Feedback Score
    People love the r2, but I dont know if it can do email, I know the touch could so maybe the r2 can as well? Check ebay, it can be had cheap. Also, stay away from the X-tc.

Feedback Score
    I use the Rumor2 (on PayLo plan). Its a great phone. Reception is good and texting is great with that slide out qwerty keypad. It can do email. I have used it to check my gmail account but email is very slow and the user interface is not very good. In general, I'd say the rumor2 is not a good phone if you plan on doing a lot of email but for talk and text its great.

Carrier
    VM
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. Whats wrong the the X-tc? Thoughts on the Loft?

Any tips on porting from Sprint?

Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Loft is good for being a simple single-tasking phone that can be used with one hand or two. I have one just for novelty's sake, and besides the iffy buttons it's not the worst. The form factor is darned sexy.

The X-Tc is a cousin to the Loft with a slide-out keyboard and added functionality, like a media card for pictures/music, a media player, and of course a nice big screen. Despite the hate it gets, I rather liked mine since it was my first "cool" phone. And the price has finally become reasonable on sale.

In my experience with porting, Virgin Mobile does it pretty well... usually reasonably within the 72 hours they promise. You may need to call back occasionally... just to be sure... but proactive customers tend to get what they want.

Feedback Score
    I never used the x-tc, but have read on here of some horror stories. Chargin ports breaking, random shut offs, etc... But that could all be ironed out by now for all I know. I would love to get my hands on the Blackberry, but it's not enitirely feasable yet.

Phones
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My personal belief on the BB is it's a seriously solid phone... that's probably the one thing that separates it from the (equally smart?) Intercept. It doesn't die easily, which is a good thing because it takes a while to boot up The Intercept is still a heckuva lot more frail.

I've never had a negative experience with the X-Tc. Never. That much said, it can't really be customized past what Virgin Mobile allows. But if you only need it for talking, texting, pictures, music, web browsing, maps, chat, etc, it's a very good phone. If you want to do advanced nerdy stuff (like tethering, hacking, or Angry Birds), not as much.

Carrier
    VM
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. RS had a Loft in stock, $50 with instant discount. He said they are now required to sell airtime with any new phone (or pre-paid); but I just got my touch last month w/o air time. so I got $25 to pay the first month. Also had AA's on sale, snaged like a 40pk, Christmas is comming.
    Got it home, swapped it online with my # to test it out. It's OK, just a phone, but that's what the wifey wanted. feels cheap/light compared to the 755p & the touch, hopefully it'll last.
    So a few hours later I tried to swap back online and it wouldn't do it, but had to call to port anyway. She swapped me back to my touch; by the time the call ended it was fulling working again. and in a few hours the port went thru.
    So now paying $25/mo for what sprint was charging $50 (after 20% discount!) excpet the free nights & weekends; but we never use more than 100min/mo on average anyway. Now we can txt what we need to say too as our Sprint plan was txt-less.

Thanks again everyone. Should I have splurged an extra $20 for the R2? She doesn't need mp3 or sd card, just some basic ringtones would be nice, and maybe a game or 2.

Phones
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    None of the sub-smart phones are really good for games. The Rumor Touch is more hackable, making it more open to new apps, but... it's also one more level up in terms of price.

The only real reason to splurge that little bit extra is for the MP3 player functionality, or to save pictures; the games aren't that much better from the one to the other.

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Loft is OK. Hurts my fingers after a while with the bizarrely shaped keys. Also, Migrating from Sprint to VM is sure to be a headache.

Phones
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sprint to Hoist could be easier since they can theoretically use th phone you already have.

I feel like making a short video about the x-tc... just to prove it doesn't suck.