Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking into Virgin Mobile

Carriers
    Page Plus
    T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score

Looking into Virgin Mobile

I am thinking about getting my teenagers the Rumor Touch for Xmas but am concerned about the reception. The coverage map shows "fair" reception on our street. Does anyone have "fair" reception on the coverage map and consistently get calls? How about texts? A friend has a phone on Sprint - if I borrow her phone to check out the reception, can I expect the same with Virgin Mobile?

If I buy the phones directly from Virgin Mobile, and we don't have reception, will they take them back within the 30 days with no problem?

I just activated a phone on Page Plus for myself but, for the teenagers, the $25 unlimited texting would be a better choice.

Feedback Score
    I have "fair" coverage on my street. I use the Rumor2 phone on the PayLo plan. Works but I do loose service if I go in the basement. Reception also has a lot to do with the phone. The Rumor2 seems to get much better reception in general then my older phone which was a Flasher.

My daughter has the Blackberry Curve on the Beyond Talk plan. She mostly uses it for texting but occasionally does talk. She has not told me about any problems so I assume its working ok.

Hope this helps.

Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I never had the best reception with Fair on the Curve, but after switching to the Intercept things actually got better. I have never had any dropped call-related issues in fair coverage in my home, but with the Curve I'd occasionally lose coverage in a valley or so.

My home is at the top of a and but surrounded by large trees, but I've been able to get a solid 40KB/s download speed whenever I tether, Curve or Intercept.

Phone
    Galaxy S4 & Optimus G
    Carrier
    Verizon & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Your friends Sprint phone should give an accurate indication of what you can expect from Virgin.

The Blackberry Curves have never been know for the best reception.

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Keep Bluetooth in mind too. Where I live, actually putting the phone up to my head results in a poor quality or dropped call. Put it on speaker or on Bluetooth, and good to go.

Phones
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    Your friends Sprint phone should give an accurate indication of what you can expect from Virgin.

The Blackberry Curves have never been know for the best reception.
    Make sure you check using a Sprint phone on "home only" coverage... Virgin Mobile has none of the roaming Sprint does. (That's why it's heckuva cheap!)

Feedback Score
    Looking also at Virgin Mobile to switch from Sprint. So any non-roaming Sprint coverage is what I will get from a Virgin Mobile plan? The Virgin Mobile maps look a lot sketchier than sprint maps - a lot more no coverage holes. ???

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1776 View Post
    Looking also at Virgin Mobile to switch from Sprint. So any non-roaming Sprint coverage is what I will get from a Virgin Mobile plan? The Virgin Mobile maps look a lot sketchier than sprint maps - a lot more no coverage holes. ???
    You get Sprint CDMA only with Virgin Mobile, no roaming. In my experience, coverage is fine in major cities and along interstates. Out in the hinterlands, you won't get coverage.

Feedback Score
    Skip the Rumor and get the Intercept. Better phone that will last the kids longer. The Rumor is not worth the money because web browsing is so poor on the phone and the Intercept has all the apps.

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Churner View Post
    You get Sprint CDMA only with Virgin Mobile, no roaming. In my experience, coverage is fine in major cities and along interstates. Out in the hinterlands, you won't get coverage.
    Generally yes. Sadly here in MN the middle of nowhere in Western MN has plenty of coverage, while the metro languishes.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    Skip the Rumor and get the Intercept. Better phone that will last the kids longer. The Rumor is not worth the money because web browsing is so poor on the phone and the Intercept has all the apps.
    Price may be an issue. You could get 2 Rumor Touchs for the price of one Intercept. Texting was mentioned as the main selling point & the Rumor Touch is good for that.

Phones
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Heck, if you don't care about the apps or the media-playing capacity, you could go straight down to the Loft's price point. After all, texting is texting (and the Loft has a simple enough interface for that, one hand or two). It's not the most touch-friendly but it builds character for the kids. And possibly thumb callouses.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow16 View Post
    A friend has a phone on Sprint - if I borrow her phone to check out the reception, can I expect the same with Virgin Mobile?
    That will give you a general idea but reception varies with the phone. I have a Shuttle, Rumor Touch, and Rumor 2 and the Rumor 2 gets the best reception where I live. I would consider the cell reception to be poor to fair where I live.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lewminous View Post
    Price may be an issue. You could get 2 Rumor Touchs for the price of one Intercept. Texting was mentioned as the main selling point & the Rumor Touch is good for that.
    With that mentality you might as well get a couple of Flares. They made calls and sent texts. Kids nowadays want to text, send pics, Facebook, etc. This is right in the Intercept's wheel house. The Rumor is good for calls and texts but it's multimedia functions fall behind mostly because the old VM had it on super lockdown. The new VM (ie Sprint) is looking to the future and Androids. The RT is already on its way out and wont receive any future support.

Feedback Score
    Oh and buy them from a brick and mortar store with a good return policy like Best Buy or The Shack. Was at The Shack last Tuesday and they had 2 Rumor Touches returned for BlackBerrys because the RT sucks at web browsing. I told the sales guys about the Intercept coming soon and showed them mine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast