Thread: Using browser - LG290C

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Using browser - LG290C

I have decided I need to get to grips with using a browser after avoiding it for as long as I can.

I understand both the phone, and Straight Talk's service is very primitive,
    lacking all the functionality of the Smart phone.

I am a terrible texter and I generally give up after 15 mins trying to unsuccessfully input a URL.

How does anyone make this work?
    I have read about downloading a different browser.
    Is there a newbie guide somewhere to get started?

Thx

Carrier
    straight talk
    Feedback Score
    due to the limitations.... here is what I use...

t9word is imperative. It will make things faster.

Second, use the bookmarks. It will make things faster. Always bring up the menu and use the bookmarks page.

Find out the five or 7 things that you will do the most on mobile web. For me, it's usually checking email, twitter, some sports scores, and movie times. Take the time to find the best websites that you are comfortable navigating around those features that you want. Bookmark all of them. Use the home page, and the bookmarks page each time you want to jump from one website to another.

Some keys to help with the browser... the volume up and down will scroll the web pages faster than the normal up and down. The side camera button on your phone will pull up the menu each time.

If you hold the left key.. it will take you to the bookmark site.

If you hold the right key, it will take you to the book the website page.

when you go to the bookmark sites, or other sites, use the numbers that they have corresponded to the sites. It will save you time for scrolling up and down.

Carrier
    straight talk
    Feedback Score
    google maps do not work with the lg290c. I use map quest.

Carrier
    straight talk
    Feedback Score
    hey lg290c users... what are your mobile browser settings? I disable the pictures so the pages load faster. I usually use the mobile web to check email, read sports updates, twitter, movie times, answers.com, and some basic mapquest. Has anyone messed with the settings for the browser?

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stompoutloud View Post
    hey lg290c users... what are your mobile browser settings? I disable the pictures so the pages load faster. I usually use the mobile web to check email, read sports updates, twitter, movie times, answers.com, and some basic mapquest. Has anyone messed with the settings for the browser?
    I gave up on it....my buddy who is an expert texter tried to use the browsing feature on my lg290c - he gave me a look that said 'wtf is this pos' and handed it back to me without a word.

Carrier
    straight talk
    Feedback Score
    damn.. it's not that hard! lol. I mean, what do you want to do with it? check email? what kind of email do you have? Do you twitter? facebook? google search? what do you want to do with it? I text with it and it's all fine and dandy. I did spend a good hour to bookmark all the sites I use. I always pull up the menu and go back to the bookmarks page which loads faster. So try and be specific as to what you want to do with your mobile web.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hi SOL....

I am just not a phone geeker I guess. I write txts on my laptop and send them to recipients the old fashioned way. I love my LG290c, the speaker is terrific, but keypad seems hard to use compared with the QUERTY type keyboards?

My kids in Europe use Iphones....they pay over $120 US equivalent per month.
    I wouldn't even entertain that amount for a cell service while I was in college. I guess things change. Anyway, they can txt up a storm plus their screens look more like a laptop interface, and very fast of course.

My talk requirement is way down these days so I am thinking about the Virgin Mobile $25 deal. I really like Straight Talk but I am only using about 100 mins per month. Seems like a bit of a waste.

The VM phone looks like it has an easier keyboard for people like me who were not raised on texting.
    I travel with a laptop everywhere, utilize Google Voice and a SIP service ...I like to think I am pretty up with communication technology. All my colleagues travel with only a smart phone these days, but I don't want to pay what they pay.

I guess ST are reluctant to introduce a true smart phone, so I have been looking at the VM Samsung Intercept. I wonder if it really is a true smart phone with access to APPS etc. I have read that most of the prepaid smartphone products are crippled in their functionality so as not to impede on the carriers (vzn -sprint etc) full function market.

cheers
    t

Carrier
    straight talk
    Feedback Score
    Well.. do you use the 30 dollars a month plan? If so, then you have not much to worry about. As far as your mobile web situation, I think you pretty much answered your own question. Cheers.

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    The ST Nokias, E71 and Surge are both "smartphones" and their functionality is 100%. They both will only use the $45 a month unlimited plan, which I guess could be considered a waste if you only use 100 minutes monthly.

The VM $25 a month deal is really good IMO, and I would have it myself if it didn't use Sprints network (horrible service in my area). The Intercept is a good phone, runs Andriod and has all the apps available of the Andriod Marketplace.