Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Will Straight Talk unlock your ST GSM phone to use overseas?

Phones
    E71
    Omnia i910
    iPhone 3G
    Carriers
    StraightTalk
    Optus 'yes'
    Feedback Score

Will Straight Talk unlock your ST GSM phone to use overseas?

I have searched this forum, have seen several posts on unlocking ST SIM cards to use in other unlocked GSM handsets but I haven't seen any reports of ST unlocking their ST Branded GSM phones so that their customers can use the phone overseas with a local SIM card.

Does anyone know if ST will unlock their own branded gsm phones? Like att and tmobile do after a customer has been with them for 90 days or so.

Thanks!

Phone
    iPhone 5S, iPad Mini, iPad Air, MacBook Pro
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Absolutely NOT ~ don't even bother to ask.

My Babies:
    ~ 64gb iPhone 6 Plus ~ 32gb iPad Mini ~ 64gb iPad Air ~
    11" MacBook Air ~ 13" MacBook Pro ~ Retired iPhone 5S ~

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    You need to familiarize yourself with the typical workings of all the America Movil brands (TracFone, Net10, Straight Talk, Safelink). Their system is unlike any other company's. Their idea for their phones is that through the use of proprietary firmware, they are usable only with the particular service they were sold under. No interchangeability; closed system; however you want to put it.

Feedback Score
    Byod on America Movil is limited to the following: Tracfones can be used with Safelink sims. Net10 paygo phones can now be used with Net10 unlimited/monthly plans. Straight Talk Cdma phones can be used on other Verizon mvnos.

The new gsm Straight Talk phones may or may not be unlockable. But probably are. Nobody's really tried it yet. Any takers want to unlock an ST phone, throw a Att or Tmobile sim in and see if it works. As for an ST sim in an unlocked phone. A couple of hofos have claimed success but in general, it appears to be not the case.

As for America Movil helping you unlock your ST/Trac/Net10 phone. ROFLMAO.

Phones
    E71
    Omnia i910
    iPhone 3G
    Carriers
    StraightTalk
    Optus 'yes'
    Feedback Score
    I was able to use an Unlocked Motorola V3re (T-Mobile branded) with my Straight Talk sim card that came from my E71. Calling worked fine, I didn't try text or mms. I figure mms and web will not work since it still has the wap/apn settings for T-Mobile in it. Does anyone know where to get the mms/web settings for Straight Talk?

Phones
    Motorola Backflip
    [all previously used]sidekick 2, sidekick 3, sidekick lx07, sidekick 08 (geckko), samsung solstice
    [all previously used] samsung gravity, nokia 6126, htc g1, blackberry curve 8320
    Carrier
    Tmobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score

different imei

what about buying ST's cheapest gsm phone and activating the sim under an unlocked phone's imei?

Feedback Score
    WARNING!!!!! TO ALL STRAIGHT TALK CUSTOMERS: STRAIGHT TALK WANT’S YOU TO BELIEVE THEY ARE OFFERING YOU AN UNLIMITED TEXT, TALK AND DATA PACKAGE FOR $45.00/ MONTHLY. THIS IS NOT TRUE AND STRAIGHT TALK’S UNLIMITED PLAN IS BOGUS AND A RIP OFF. THIS STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED SERVIVES IS NOT UNLIMITED.

IF STRAIGHT TALK AND IT’S AFFILIATES FEEL THAT YOU ARE USING TO MUCH OF YOUR “SO CALLED UNLIMITED PACKAGE” THEY WILL PERMANATLY DEACTIVATE YOUR PHONE WITHOUT WARNING AND WILL REFUSE TO REACTIVATE YOUR PHONE. ONCE STRAIGHT TALK HAS DEACTIVATED YOUR PHONE YOU WILL NO LONGER BE ABLE TO USE THAT PHONE.THEY WILL ALSO REFUSE TO REIMBURSE YOU FOR THE DEACTIVATED PHONE OR ANY MINUTE CARDS THAT YOU HAVE PURCHASED FOR THE PHONE.

STRAIGHT TALK REFUSES TO HONOR AND ACKNOWLEDGE THEIR 1 YEAR WARRANTY FOR THEIR PHONES. I AM TELLING ALL MY FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER FRIENDS AND OTHER SOCIAL NETWORKING SITES THAT I HAVE ACCOUNTS WITH SO THAT PEOPLE CAN MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION. I AM CONSIDERING CONTACTING AN ATTORNEY BECAUSE OF THE UNDUE STRESS AND SUFFERING I HAVE HAD TO ENDURE WITH THIS COMPANY.

I finally got pissed and sent a e mail stating that I was going to send a complaint letter to both Walmart Headquarters informing them of the horrible customer service of this company, and I was also sending a complaint to the BBB?.

Phones
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung 455C
    Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    The person above me is an idiot. Do you honestly think that unlimited means unlimited? If you read the TOS that you agree to by activating your phone it says you are allowed unlimited browsing not unlimited data. You are mad because you broke the rules and they took your toys away. 2gb of data is plenty for me and I use my phone a lot and even tether sometimes. I have never used more than 2gb in a month. I'm happy to pay what I do and get the same service my friend pays double what I do to get on his iphone. They will never have a truly unlimited network for cheap. Sprint doesn't count cause they stuck.

Sent from my ST Samsung Captivate using Howardforum app

Phone
    Motorola V176, LG600g, LG3280
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickhughes94 View Post
    what about buying ST's cheapest gsm phone and activating the sim under an unlocked phone's imei?
    Why do you think people are paying $170 - 200 for the Nokia phone to get the SIM?

Could it be that they are the only SIM that is unlocked? DOH!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bleachout View Post
    I was able to use an Unlocked Motorola V3re (T-Mobile branded) with my Straight Talk sim card that came from my E71. Calling worked fine, I didn't try text or mms. I figure mms and web will not work since it still has the wap/apn settings for T-Mobile in it. Does anyone know where to get the mms/web settings for Straight Talk?
    nokia e71 and nokia6790 are the only two phone that the sim can be moved to different phones follow this guide - for mms/web -http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1691930-HowTo-StraightTalk-and-iPhone!-Everything-you-need-to-know-to-make-it-work! if your phone is from t mobile you are most likely get edge speed and not 3G. also you can't sell/return the e71,if you do the sim in your Motorola V3re (T-Mobile branded) will become deactivated.

Feedback Score
    Mr. Boomy or what ever your name is. I refuse get into a name calling contest with you. For your information I WAS NOT downloading anything to my phone they deactivated for excess use of the web that includes browsing. Speaking of breaking the rules in the (TOS )as you call it Straight talk also DOES NOT allow tethering your device to your computer which is what YOU stated that you are doing. Be fore warned they will deactivate your **** as soon as they realize what you are doing.

Feedback Score
    @Cassandra Frank: I'd like to know a few things regarding your situation:
    1. What phone did you purchase to use on Straight Talk?
    2. What phone did you use on Straight Talk??
    3. Any idea how many texts, minutes, and data used were used monthly?
    4. How long were you on Straight Talk before they terminated your account??

Every story has two versions. It's nice to get the facts.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Samsung Infuse 4G
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra Frank View Post
    Mr. Boomy or what ever your name is. I refuse get into a name calling contest with you. For your information I WAS NOT downloading anything to my phone they deactivated for excess use of the web that includes browsing. Speaking of breaking the rules in the (TOS )as you call it Straight talk also DOES NOT allow tethering your device to your computer which is what YOU stated that you are doing. Be fore warned they will deactivate your **** as soon as they realize what you are doing.
    I'm sorry. I have to side with Mr. Boomy. Does he use a different phone than ST provides and do tethering? Yes.....and so do I. Is it against the ToS? Yes. But why? It might just be because of the data usage that can be incurred as a result. There is also an excessive use clause and a clause prohibiting streaming videos and music. The problem isn't really how we use our data.....it's how much you use. And they advertise unlimited MOBILE WEB.....not unlimited data. Which is probably correct. If you follow the ST ToS to the letter you'd probably never achieve the necessary level of data usage to get shut off. The only exception I can think of is the situation with updating the OS on the E71. Mr. Boomy and myself, as well as others here use data counters and monitor our usage. We keep it around 2GB. Never had a phone call from ST or been shut off even though we tether and use phones that aren't supplied by ST. We also warn anyone trying this to do the same thing. I do wish they would just tell us what the cutoff is for data, but until they decide to do that I'm sticking to 2GB.

Sent from my Straight Talk HTC Inspire using the Howard Forums app
    For instructions on using Androids with Straight Talk don't PM me....I don't usually answer....click here!
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...stop-asking%29

Phones
    Nokia E71
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Samsung Infuse 4G
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    @Cannonball and October.......the posts you guys just responded to are from November.....lol. I'm not sure why Cassandra decided to blow up on this particular thread.

Sent from my Straight Talk HTC Inspire using the Howard Forums app

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Even if you could unlock your StraightTalk GSM phone, and put in an international or foreign country SIM card, it probably is less than quad-band and thus might not work well in all locations.

For our son who is backpacking through central Europe, we got a BLU T200 Deejay quad band GSM unlocked phone for around $32 (I see $34.99 at Amazon). Such relatively simple phones are sold is many countries where people commonly buy the handset separately from the service.

P.S. I was just responding to the OP, which I now see was long ago.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast