Phones
    iPhone
    Google Nexus S
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score

How does Call Forwarding work on T-Mobile Prepaid

Hi,

Just wondering how call forwarding works on t-mobile prepaid.

The quick question is: If I forward the call to another US number, do I use minutes if someone calls my cell? I don't need it to ring at both numbers, just forward the call.

One T-Mobile rep said yes, that would use minutes. One said no, based on the info on the prepaid T-Mobile page.

Long version of what I'm trying to do:
    I'm a Canadian with a Canadian Cell, and I have a Vonage US number.

I want to port my vonage number to t-mobile. When I'm in the US I can use that as my cell. I will put on $10 every 3 months when I'm out of the country to keep the account active, and when someone calls the T-Mobile number when I'm out of country it will go like this:

Forward T-Mobile Number to Skype Number. Skype number forwards to my Canadian Cell. My Skype has free calls to Canada so it cost me nothing for the 2nd part of the call.

I don't get many calls to the US number by the way, but any other suggestions are welcome.

Phones
    Nexus One / SE Equinox TM717
    Huawei U8150/Comet
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mac dude View Post
    Hi,
    . . . .
    Short (and somewhat sarcastic) answer: It doesn't. See this thread: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-web-page-says

Wish that it did. That is what I miss most between prepaid and postpaid.

Carriers
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    If it worked, it will use your minutes. However, as mentioned, TMobile prepaid does not support call forwarding to another number. They need to get with the game. Other prepaids such as AT&T support CF.

Phones
    iPhone
    Google Nexus S
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Yikes, ok I will go ask some questions at the GoPhone forum.
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    That's what Google Voice is for :-) Ring all your phones.

Carriers
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    Google Voice is good, but it will not solve OP's problem. OP needs the ability to forward from his prepaid sim.

Quote Originally Posted by m509272 View Post
    That's what Google Voice is for :-) Ring all your phones.

Phones
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Nokia 6310i, Nokia 8310 (Europe)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mac dude View Post
    Hi,

The quick question is: If I forward the call to another US number, do I use minutes if someone calls my cell? I don't need it to ring at both numbers, just forward the call.

One T-Mobile rep said yes, that would use minutes. One said no, based on the info on the prepaid T-Mobile page.

Long version of what I'm trying to do:
    I'm a Canadian with a Canadian Cell, and I have a Vonage US number.

I want to port my vonage number to t-mobile. When I'm in the US I can use that as my cell. I will put on $10 every 3 months when I'm out of the country to keep the account active, and when someone calls the T-Mobile number when I'm out of country it will go like this:

Forward T-Mobile Number to Skype Number. Skype number forwards to my Canadian Cell. My Skype has free calls to Canada so it cost me nothing for the 2nd part of the call.

I don't get many calls to the US number by the way, but any other suggestions are welcome.
    You don't have to worry about it since forwarding is not available with T-Mobile prepaid
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US

Feedback Score
    It could totally solve his problem. I have prepaid, postpaid soon to be gone, home phone, on vacation wife's phones too. If you give people your GV number instead of your prepaid number you can ring whichever phones you want or all. I've also switched around my prepaid supplier (had Net10 for awhile) and there's zero impact to people reaching me. Granted that doesn't solve his exact problem but could be considered as a longer term solution.

Phones
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    HTC Diamond
    HTC TP2
    Carriers
    Sprint PCS
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    PagePlus does call forwarding... it counts as airtime... and in the short term it is cheaper than Tmo prepaid ($10 every 4mos or 100mins). I'm doing this for me mom... I've ported her old landline number to PagePlus, a Moto W385, and then set it up to forward to her new landline number, which is in another areacode (so a port of landline to landline would not work).

PPC allows EITHER conditional or unconditional call forwarding, and since its using the Verizon network, coverage is good (better than Tmo). And ANY junky Verizon phone will do, including those that are basically free (e.g. 2035a)...

Carrier
    tmobile
    Feedback Score
    http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/prepaid-plans.aspx

All T-Mobile Prepaid calling plans include these great perks:
    National coverage with no roaming charges
    24/7 customer service
    Voice-mail, caller ID, call waiting and call forwarding

But when I called to ask about it they said it just meant "voicemail" and I said, "what about the word 'forwarding' ". and then it was just a circular discussion with the rep's flow chart script.

Phones
    Nexus One / SE Equinox TM717
    Huawei U8150/Comet
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by himay
    But when I called to ask about it they said it just meant "voicemail" and I said, "what about the word 'forwarding' ". and then it was just a circular discussion with the rep's flow chart script.
    There is some disconnect between the advertising people and the ones who can decide to permit call forwarding on prepaid phones. It would be fixed one way or the other as soon as someone write a letter to the FTC and made a false advertising claim (copying T-mobile of course).

Phones
    iPhone
    Google Nexus S
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone. Yes it's annoying re: call forwarding - I ended up going with GoPhone - appreciate the comments re: google voice, but for different reasons (branding of business/phone number/business cards) this is a better option.