Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The death of Telus iDEN...

Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score

The death of Telus iDEN...

http://www.peelregion.ca/council/age...port-pw-d1.pdf

This should be a good read for all other radio nerds as well, looks like the majority of cities are going P25 for their public safety radio systems.

Read on page 7: Durham Region - target date 2013- Telus no longer provides iDEN

Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    polkaroo,

I am not surprised at all. The writing is on the wall with many iDEN related products and services have either gone end of life or phasing out.
    --

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I am not surprised at all ... but because hspa is always in beta test ... i prefer to stay in iden for the moment ... all my contract end at 2011 ... i switch to rogers if telus don't offer me great plan !

Device(s)
    SoftBank 707SC, Neonode N2, Altacel OT-710D
    Carrier(s)
    Telus CDMA... for now
    Feedback Score
    My own contract expires in 2011, too. I'll stay on iDEN until the bitter end.

But, I'll echo what's been said so far, not unexpected. With the announcement that Nextel's iDEN network would be killed off, I sort of expected Telus to follow step.
    Tracfone W175g is IMPOSSIBLE to flash. If you don't want to use it with Trac, it's WORTHLESS. Stop PM'ing me!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    When no great solution replace iden ... no shutdown ... for sure !

Feedback Score
    I have a question? if they shut down Iden do we have to go back to trunk radios like in the old clearnet days? I need the ptt funtionality and the fact that it has the best coverage area around, no other company has this type of coverage using cb type radio's period. So what do guys do in the delivery business?

Back to the trunk radios I guess.........

Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Clearnet had iDEN aka Mike, just like Telus. Same SMR license. That's why iDEN networks don't operate in cellular bands.

There are other companies selling trunked digital/analog radio systems everywhere although I can pretty much guarantee it'll be more expensive than Mike. There are smaller iDEN outfits out there like Lakeshore's Fleetcom system using iDEN Harmony (although coverage is spotty.) Motorola also makes a smaller iDEN "Melody" system.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Telus CDMA... for now
    Feedback Score
    For what it's worth, according to a Moto rep, they are commited to supporting iDEN until 2015.

I'm not moving from iDEN either. Just like when Rogers axed TDMA/Analog, a network shutdown is a good opportunity to bargain for a really good deal.

Feedback Score
    Well nothing beats the coverage of Mike. I use to be with Lakeshore electronics and have been with clearnet/telus since 1999. I do miss the trunk radio though cause I am tired of constantly changing phones or droping them or running over them with my truck lol. The trunk radios back then with Mike were way to expensive, double the cost of the original ones but when you think of the cost comparison it was worth it.

But then the freedom you had to not just sit in your truck and wait to get calls was great, Mike became the best thing out there. Now adays everyone has a cell phone but who would have thought what the future holds.

I will be going down with iden but this sucks, and you are right polkaroo it would cost more for less coverage and not get nearly the service we get from Mike. So what do we do for the future?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Telus CDMA... for now
    Feedback Score
    iDEN has always been a red-headed b****** (why the hell is this word censored?!? WTF!) stepchild. But, true, MiKE coverage is great. I was on HSPA for a while, but I returned to iDEN, because simply put, MiKE is the best for call quality.

But, with LTE just around the corner, maybe, just maybe we'll finally see a true successor to DC. But until that day...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    MiKE is the best for call quality ;p yes !
    Or try a Moto v9x on hspa ! great quality too ... only problem ... reception is better with mike ( in mike zone ;p )

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Telus CDMA... for now
    Feedback Score
    Well, I'm possibly taking a blaster class given in the absolute middle of NOWHERE, and checking the tower maps, there is ONE MiKE cell, and it's pretty far away from the town where I'll possibly be heading. I know 800MHz has pretty good range, but I'm sort of worried of getting NO SERVICE there. Which would suck since according to the tower maps, NOBODY else seems to offer service in that place. Chibougameau, for the record.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes mike have great coverage too with great range for 800 mhz ... just bad i must travel to gaspesie and in northen quebec - canada ;(
    my i1 miss me ...

Device(s)
    Motorola i576 Mike
    Carrier(s)
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    I agree mike, it's a very useful pice of equipment.

Feedback Score
    You have to remember that Telus has to fulfil their end of the contract. If they can't provide you the service anymore, then you are no longer in contract with them. Contracts are two way streets.

Besides, They won't just flick the switch this year or anything. What you will probably see a discontinuation of Mike Phones. Meaning that you couldn't go to a store and buy a new mike phone or renew a contract. The service will still be there, you just cant renew.

They will also wave any buy outs to renew on the PCS network. So, when that mike phone breaks and you cant get a new one, you have no choice but to move... Or cancel...

Them support the phones till 2015/2016 makes sense considering telus has Device Protection Plan. Which allows you to get a new phone, of the same model, as long as you have that feature turned on, so they still need to make the phones.

You will prob see a discontinuation of the phone in late 2012 or Early 2013. With a complete shut down of the network in 2016 or 2017.

My two cents.

Source: I sell mike and Telus Phones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast