Thread: Quebec cancel cellphone contract loophole?

Feedback Score

Quebec cancel cellphone contract loophole?

There is a discussion on RFD about this. May be we should ask Hofo expert how it works exactly...

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/get-o...quebec-962026/

As we all know, the new Quebec Bill 60. We only have to pay maximum $50 to cancel cellphone contract if we don't have any subsidy hardware.

So let's say, in Quebec, we sign 3 years contract to get iPhone 4 subsidy $500... the maximum cancellation fee we have to pay = subsidy amount $500... This cancellation fee will be reduced each month ($500 / 36 months) we full fill the contract...

The loophole people discuss is to find a way to renew 3 years contract and don't get any subsidy hardware... so we can pay less cancellation fee (max = $50)...

There are several ways...

1) Wait for a year and port to Fido. Sign new 3 years contract, don't take any subsidy hardware... We can only do this porting once in a life time... I think this qualify for the loophole...

2) Switch to voice and/or data plan which requires 3 years contract... So we will have new 3 years contract... I'm not sure this will qualify for the loophole...

Feedback Score
    The porting to Fido doesn't really make sense because the ECF wouldn't be waived... The minimum is still $100 for any customer who resigned before June, and I assume that's the minimum for anyone who signed after June (and their subsidy wouldn't be down below that amount anyway, yet.) So porting to Fido doesn't save you anything.

Negotiating a new plan on a three year contract sets a new ECF, yes, though from what I understand there are internal rules regarding this and reps are not supposed to negotiate new plan-only contracts within a certain time period from a HUP for Quebec customers.

Feedback Score
    The porting to Fido, Rogers customers have to pay $100... We still save some money after we switch to Fido and cancel the contract... Instead of cancel the Rogers contract (the cancellation fee might go up to $500)...

For Fido people, porting to Rogers they don't have to pay $100... So they can benefit from this...

For switch plan, may be we beg the newbie REPs to renew the contract for us lol... or those retention people love to renew the contract when you're asking for retention plan lol...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    Heh heh (re ^iri's note re internal Rog regs, special for QC cx's).

It took me a couple of reads to get what the OP is up to; let me reiterate so it's clear (and if I'm wrong I'll get corrected, no doubt):

A QC cx walks into Rog, gets iP4 for cheap, signs 3-yr. They have received an economic inducement per bill 60 and would face a steep ECF if they cancel.

Some (possibly quite) short time later they contact Rog and change their plan, which calls for a 3-yr CP (commit period) renewal. They accept.

What the cx has done is replaced their original 3-yr CP (contract) with a new one, and that latter one did not involve any hardware and thus did not offer an economic inducement ... which makes the max ECF now a mere $50.

On its face this seems entirely plausible.

But most interestingly: the corroboration of the legitimacy of this angle by way of ^iri's mention that Rog has internal reg's about how they handle the peculiar QC case.

Which says to me that Rog already foresaw this, um, very real situation.

FWICT there's no need for any complex porting or anything ... just change plans, seeking one that has any CP. That kills the old contract and starts a new one.

BellVictim loves unintended consequences : )

Feedback Score
    -1 BellVictim posting jibberish again.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberwho View Post
    -1 BellVictim posting jibberish again.
    Fiber, instead of proudly showing off your typing skills every time I post something that is outside your ability to comprehend why not spend some time with a dictionary and try doing some old-fashioned learnin'!

Look up the 'jibberish' words maybe, sound them out... you'll get it! It's not tough!

(And you'll perhaps notice too, that gibberish is not spelled with a 'j'. Thanks for coming out tho! : )

Device(s)
    iPhone IVS | 9900 B0ldTouchDizzle
    Carrier(s)
    The one who pays me to use their service
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BellVictim View Post
    ....What the cx has done is replaced their original 3-yr CP (contract) with a new one, and that latter one did not involve any hardware and thus did not offer an economic inducement ... which makes the max ECF now a mere $50...
    Am I the only one that is immediately realizing that unless you used up the original 3yr commitment (and economic inducement)...any change to another contract INSIDE said period would not erase the liability., merely replacing it-therefore whatever commitment you originally signed to would be grand-fathered under this new commitment to be lived out till maturity. This isn't a get-out-of-jail-free-card.

That's pretty dumb on the providers part not to have thought of this....and if it's entirely on the Provincial Govts part to have left this loop-hole out...then lmao...they suck (or actually are awesome..for screwing over the telco's for the first time in.....forever?)
    300 @ 5pm●5K SMS●Auto Roadside●Unlim Inc●1000LD●R2RLD●VP●6Gb LTDizzle+credits = <$36
    34+|0|0 119+|0|0

Factory Unlocked 5White32gb, GNote2x2, 9900 LNIB Retired, GS3 for Mobi
    i7 920 @ 2.67GHz 9Gb DDR3
    My Wireless LD FAQ., READ IT!!!
    The Jawbone I, photo-review
    Maybe it's time to update this....nahhhhh

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bubble.tea View Post
    Am I the only one that is immediately realizing [...]
    Apparently, yes.

The reason is that when one accepts a new contract it replaces the previous one.

I explain my reasons for thinking this in greater detail in the RFD thread to which the OP linked.

That's pretty dumb on the providers part not to have thought of this....and if it's entirely on the Provincial Govts part to have left this loop-hole out...then lmao...they suck (or actually are awesome..for screwing over the telco's for the first time in.....forever?)
    Didn't you read iri's post above?

She indicated that she believes that Rog has an internal policy against letting QC cx's change plans (for a period of time, anyway) post HUP/newsale.

So that says to me that a) the 'loophole' is real and b) the carriers did see this possibility and have attempted to block this 'unintended consequence'.

Device(s)
    iPhone IVS | 9900 B0ldTouchDizzle
    Carrier(s)
    The one who pays me to use their service
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BellVictim View Post
    ...The reason is that when one accepts a new contract it replaces the previous one....
    That's hilarious. Who's the numpty who didn't catch that one LOL. Oh man....that's balls.

I've been quite busy of late., so this is the first I've read of this affair. I apologise. I'll try to devote less time to my career & family & personal affairs going forward., and be more immediate in responding to & becoming familiar with wireless related developments.

I actually just did a quick skim on RFD and didn't see anything lol. I must be just tired.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bubble.tea View Post
    I actually just did a quick skim on RFD and didn't see anything lol. I must be just tired.
    RFD is way high traffic in posts these days - things come and go all in a day.

See the OP's link to the RFD thread if interested.

(Yes, there's been much less interest in this loophole than I would have otherwise imagined.)