Feedback Score

iPhone UMA support at all?

I've been googling the last 2 days trying to figure this out if they have an app that can do it in any way.

I have a phone with t-mobile and it operates with UMA. I get 0 reception in my home (it's made of marble or something) cause I can go outside and get full bars. I want an iphone so I'm trying to see if there is an app that will do what I am looking for.

I keep finding apps like iCall, GV, siphon providers, etc but they all say that you will need a 2nd phone number or a username. There is also "Truphone" but I don't think that is what I am looking for either.

So I figured I'd ask the people who have had iphones. I am looking for:

A way to make the iphone receive calls with my normal phone # through WiFi.
    or
    A way to make the iphone receive calls with my normal number through the computer somehow and be bluetooth connected.

Just in any way possible, for me to receive phone calls outside of the 3G network while maintaining my phone #.

Yes I'm betting someone will be a flamer here and say "lmgtfy.com/something" blah blah but yes I've googled and nothing is clear or not what I want. I don't want to invest in an expensive phone only to figure out I can't get it working.

If you do genuinely help, I appreciate it.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DanMan1464 View Post
    Just in any way possible, for me to receive phone calls outside of the 3G network while maintaining my phone #.
    Yes. Port to AT&T and get a 3G MicroCell for your home. Problem solved.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Feedback Score
    Except, the microcell doesn't save you on minutes used(neither technology saves you on minutes), it only provides voice coverage in a home with bad service via cell radio as opposed to UMA using wifi. UMA might cost a monthly fee, but it doesn't use your minutes(I guess they discontinued the free calls over UMA earlier this year, it uses your minutes just like the microcell now). There is Android app support for UMA, might have to look into jailbroken community apps to find one for the iPhone.

Even if there was an UMA app, to use the iPhone on Tmo, it requires the phone to be carrier unlocked. Only imports are unlocked which cost $$$, or initial release iPhone 4's(current iPhone 4's come with IOS 4.1 and can't be unlocked) that still have IOS 4.0 can be unlocked(preserving the baseband) after jailbreak if done right, it's easy to make a mistake and lose the ability to unlock. FYI - iPhone on Tmo will not support 3g(only slow EDGE) data speeds since the hardware doesn't work with Tmo's 3g frequency(1700MHz), so it might be beneficial to just get ATT service.
    Last edited by overdrive31; 11-14-2010 at 12:07 PM.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have also looked very deeply into whether or not it were possible to use UMA on the iPhone. Read endless threads about it and didn't turn up anything. I am disappointed as well (but I am already using an iPhone so figure how much more it sucks :/)
    Successfully gained control of "Cellular Data Network" and MMS features on iPhone 2G 3.1.3

Feedback Score
    yea my closest alternative was to use my google voice # --> sipgate --> fring

sucks that I have to give up voicemail to just instead call forward to my GV number

Oh well, just temporary until I move to a place where I get more than 0-1 bars

I have been stuck with the T-mobile Shadow II solely for UMA. Finally gave in and just bought an iphone 4

Feedback Score
    The Android app UMA support was just added in October of this year, may take some time for a jailbroken iPhone port to show up.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Skype will be your best bet. It costs a few $$$ but worth it to me. The call quality with Skype is unbelievably clear compared to every other VoIP/SIP solution I have tried. I too have no reception at my house. I bought a Skype subscription which costs $2.95/month (Unlimited calls to US and Canada) and an online number which costs $30/year. When I get to my driveway, I set my iPhone to forward all calls to my Skype number. Also, I set my outgoing Skype caller ID to my cell number so people will recognize me when I call. When I leave my house, I just disable the call forwarding and calls are back being received through cell network.

Phone
    After trying many phones, the one phone that is worthy of this spot is the 6620!!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive31 View Post
    Except, the microcell doesn't save you on minutes used(neither technology saves you on minutes), it only provides voice coverage in a home with bad service via cell radio as opposed to UMA using wifi. UMA might cost a monthly fee, but it doesn't use your minutes(I guess they discontinued the free calls over UMA earlier this year, it uses your minutes just like the microcell now). There is Android app support for UMA, might have to look into jailbroken community apps to find one for the iPhone.
    For $20 you get unlimited minutes while using the microcell on att.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ivwshane View Post
    For $20 you get unlimited minutes while using the microcell on att.
    Thanks for the info, that's a feature add-on though. If by direct comparison, neither saves you on minutes used, even while piggybacking on your own internet connection. UMA used to cost a $10 monthly fee, while also not incurring charges per minute used over it, but users could still use it without the monthly charge that would then use their minutes. To my understanding, Tmo doesn't offer a feature to make calls being made over UMA unlimited. Something it can do is hand-off(cell to UMA, or UMA to cell without interruption) where a MicroCell cannot. UMA uses your own(or any) WiFi router as opposed to needing to purchase a femtocell(extra hardware).
    Last edited by overdrive31; 11-24-2010 at 09:21 AM.