Thread: Samsung Galaxy S Freeze Problem Fixed, Here's How

Feedback Score

Samsung Galaxy S Freeze Problem Fixed, Here's How

I was about to take a hammer to my 2nd galaxy s handset(freezing 5x a day) when my Bell rep called and said she had a fix for my phone. I went to see her and she changed the band on my phone. She gave me the instructions to take home because I'll have to do the band change every time I take the battery out...not often so Ill deal with it...Im just happy I dont have to check my phone every 10 mins to see if its still on...

Heres the instructions EXACTLY as they are printed on the sheet I hold....

Instructions for putting the Galaxy S Vibrant on 850 Band

Do not give this out to end-user. You will need to do this for them.

1. on the key pad, type *#*#197328640#*#*
    2. Select [1] Debug Screen
    3. Select [8] Phone Control
    4. Select [7] Network Control
    5. Select [2] Band Selection
    6. Select [2] WCDMA Band []
    7. Select [5] WCDMA 850

This worked for me flawlessly...My battery registered full after 19 hrs unplugged with minimal usage...unheard of before the change.

Not sure if this will help anybody else but I know I was getting pretty pissed off having to take the battery out everytime to restart my phone

Phones
    Galaxy S IIX
    Galaxy S2X
    Past: 8830, iPhone, Pearl 8130, HTC Touch, N95, K850i, Prada, Z6, E680, P1i, E6, E61i, Q9H, Treo650
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    The bug is definitely a software problem in controlling band selection when one or 2 band are present. I'm not sure I want to only run 850 only.

Any thoughts? I'm not sure of the distribution/density of 850 and 1900 with Telus/Bell and how running only an 850 band will affect reception in urban and rural areas.
    Last edited by Blue1k; 11-10-2010 at 08:00 PM.
    Follow me on twitter @Blue1k...thephonecollector

Phone
    Current: SE Naite (Fido), iPhone 4 (Koodo)
    Carrier
    Koodo and Fido
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    really depends on the area.

not all towers are dual 850/1900..

as in.. some is 850.. some is 1900..

the best fix is to wait for the software update, this is only a good temporary fix.
    Hi.

Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Well besides all the negative other posts, I'd like to thank the OP for this post. Saved me from much hand wringing. Obviously the coverage in my neighborhood was similar to his. Switching to 850 makes my phone at least usable.
    Kudos for the post.

Feedback Score
    Thats interesting that Bell Reps are calling people to say they have a fix for the comatose, considering the guys over at xda developers have been doing the 850 band lock for over a month now.

But as bb147 said, this is only a temporary fix since you are limiting what bands your phone can use. Lets just hope that for the sake of the people who kept the SGS, that they come up with a real fix.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy Note II (I317M)
    Samsung Galaxy S II (Former)
    Nexus S (I9020A) (Former)
    Carriers
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I did not have any freezes problems but I have locked my SGS on the 850 band since wednesday. Didn't notice real change at first in term of reception however I do find than I have a better reception inside buildings now. Im' in the Ottawa/Gatineau region. Mainly the downtown area.

Feedback Score
    My main concern will be when I travel to an area that doesn't use the 850 band. I will have to turn on the other bands, and then the freezing will come back. So 850 band lock is not a permanent solution IMHO.

On the other hand, after having the SGS for two weeks then returning it, I don't like any of the other phones on the market at this point. I played with the Desire Z yesterday for about 10 minutes. Not sure I want a physical keyboard, and the Z hinge has me worried about the longevity of the device. Plus the reported signal issues, and weight...

My contract is up on Tuesday, so I think I will give the SGS another 14 day trial. Hopefully during that time, 2.2 comes out and fixes the coma and GPS concerns. If not, then I will return it, and pick up an Iphone. "sigh"

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant baked by Doc
    Desire Z (now hubbys), Palm Pre, Storm 9530 (sold),
    Curve 8330 (Red and Titanium), Pearl 8130 (Sold), Krzr K1m(sold), Samsung a640(dead)
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I know what you mean, I love the Desire Z. LOVE. Love Froyo, love the new Sense, don't mind the hinge, like the weight, its beautiful, like the keyboard...but its not my SGS. I saw on the Samsung Canada Facebook someone had the SD failure, sent the phone for repair. One week later, SD failure again.

This has me worried. At least I have the Desire z for backup...

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using Tapatalk
    Hey here's a thought, read the contract before signing it. Personal responsibility FTW.