Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Porting from Verizon Pre-Paid to Verizon Contract

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Porting from Verizon Pre-Paid to Verizon Contract

My wife signed up for a 2 year family plan thru "Let's Talk Wireless", a Verizon re-seller. We are getting the phones Wednesday. I've been a Verizon pre-paid customer for 1 month, but have had my number with numerous carriers for the last 7 years. My pre-paid plan expires tomorrow and I'd like to keep my phone number. I was told by a very unacknowledgeable sales rep that I had to have my pre-paid Verizon number for 6 months. Is there a work-around for this? Why wouldn't they port my number to my new phone?

If I ported my number to Page Plus, then back to the 2 yr contract phone would this work?

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The 6 month rule deals with using a former Prepaid phone hardware on postpaid. Since you're getting a new phone that isn't going to affect you-- you can port the number at any time. If you have any remaining cash balance in your prepaid account it will eventually transfer over as a credit on the postpaid.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If the "Let's Talk" rep didn't put the original transaction through as a "port request", i.e. if your wife didn't indicate to Let's Talk that you wished to port a number, you will indeed be getting two new phones with two new phone numbers on Wednesday. It's gonna be a fun time getting those numbers port-replaced after activation. You may wanna give "Let's Talk" a call back to see how they plan on fixing that for you. If I had to muster a guess, my hunch is that "Let's Talk" wireless isn't capable or at least that particular rep doesn't actually know how to initiate a port request, so they lied to you in order to do the easiest thing for them, which is to activate two new phone numbers.
    Low price, Excellent Service, High Quality. Pick any two, but you never get all three.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I am not sure if it differs by region, but going from Verizon Pre-paid to Postpay is a fairly easy process and doesn't require having to "port" a number.

It may just be that Lets Talk doesn't have the ability of transferring pre-paid accounts into postpay - that or they're just blind.

Phones
    A lot of them
    iPhone 5S with BBM Installed (AT&T)
    iPhone 5 (Sprint)
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Alltel converted to Verizon
    Feedback Score
    unfortionately to xfer prepaid to a post pay acct, you have to create a new line slot, ONLY verizon can do this for you, not a dealer. HOWEVER, You can transfer any money on the account without transfering the number, So if you have $200 on your prepaid, transfer it to your post paid acct, leave $1.00 on the account, or something small like that, and port it out to page plus, then port the number on top of the contract line on verizon.
    BlackBerry Pin: 7be6f3d8 New BBM App on iPhone 5S YAY!

Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I know quite a few people who have gone from prepaid to postpaid on VZW. Converting from prepaid to postpaid was a breeze, but they have always gone direct through VZW and not a reseller.

FWIW, I just added two lines a couple of weeks ago for employees, and went through Best Buy for the free Incredibles. Even though they were very good and took all the port info, when the phones arrived they had VZW numbers and a call to the port center found that no port orders were ever entered. It was a simple enough situation to resolve, but showed a weakness in ordering from a reseller over the phone.

I'm not sure if your prepaid balance has expired by the time your phones arrive if that could pose a problem pulling the number into a postpaid account, but the only way you'll know for sure is to call VZW once you have your new phones in hand.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHeadTwink View Post
    unfortionately to xfer prepaid to a post pay acct, you have to create a new line slot, ONLY verizon can do this for you, not a dealer. HOWEVER, You can transfer any money on the account without transfering the number, So if you have $200 on your prepaid, transfer it to your post paid acct, leave $1.00 on the account, or something small like that, and port it out to page plus, then port the number on top of the contract line on verizon.
    That's actually not entirely true, as I misread the OP's post; in eROES, we are indeed of completing a prepay to postpay migration, provided we have the VZW prepaid MTN and account passcode. I just did one this morning. But still, I'm not sure multicarrier web-based dealers have this capability.

Phones
    A lot of them
    iPhone 5S with BBM Installed (AT&T)
    iPhone 5 (Sprint)
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Alltel converted to Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yes, but can you transfer the MTN to on top of a "temp" number on Verizon?

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHeadTwink View Post
    Yes, but can you transfer the MTN to on top of a "temp" number on Verizon?
    No, but customer service surely will.

Feedback Score
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Lets Talk terms yet. The OP will be getting a new number and getting that changed to the prepay will be a task in itself. Generally a conversion doesn't happen until after midnight on the night its done and I've never seen one done after the fact. If he does get it done through Verizon then that may void the terms that Lets Talk pits in place about no changes to the account and then he could be charged a hefty fee by them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwinagent View Post
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Lets Talk terms yet. The OP will be getting a new number and getting that changed to the prepay will be a task in itself. Generally a conversion doesn't happen until after midnight on the night its done and I've never seen one done after the fact. If he does get it done through Verizon then that may void the terms that Lets Talk pits in place about no changes to the account and then he could be charged a hefty fee by them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    I was just going to mention this. If OP changes his account in ANY way including plan changes or even a number change, LetsTalk will hit him with a big fee. Best advice is to send it back in the 30 days, then go to a Verizon store. Not a stupid premium dealer which is just as big of rip. An actual Verizon corp. store.

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Your balance may expire tomorrow but the number will still be there for some time. No worries... You should be fine if you wait a day after the balance expires...
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe12304 View Post
    Not a stupid premium dealer which is just as big of rip. An actual Verizon corp. store.
    Could you clarify that statement? A premium retailer is capable of converting pre-pay to post pay and is more likely to offer a better deal on equipment pricing in comparison to a corporate store.

Carrier
    Verizon postpaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alexLEV View Post
    Could you clarify that statement? A premium retailer is capable of converting pre-pay to post pay and is more likely to offer a better deal on equipment pricing in comparison to a corporate store.
    By 'better deal' do you mean the phone is $50-100 less, but it comes with an additional commitment/ETF on the line? By additional commitment, I mean if you cancel your plan within the first 6 months, you pay Verizon its ETF ($350/175 - credit for time served) PLUS you pay the reseller an additional fee? In some cases, the reseller can charge such fees if you simply change your plan (ie. drop a feature that was there when you signed up, such as from unlimited data to $15/150MB data plan).

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisamo View Post
    By 'better deal' do you mean the phone is $50-100 less, but it comes with an additional commitment/ETF on the line? By additional commitment, I mean if you cancel your plan within the first 6 months, you pay Verizon its ETF ($350/175 - credit for time served) PLUS you pay the reseller an additional fee? In some cases, the reseller can charge such fees if you simply change your plan (ie. drop a feature that was there when you signed up, such as from unlimited data to $15/150MB data plan).
    Why bother signing up for a two year contract if you have intentions of canceling within the first six months?

I rarely ever see someone sign up and then cancel their service a few months down the line. Unless of course you're trying to flip a phone on eBay or anything along the lines of that. In that case, you can be sure to see that "additional commitment" fee you agreed upon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast