Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: kik messenger

Feedback Score

Question kik messenger

morning people .
    I'm in a bind , i'm trying to get kik on my wifes bb , but they have removed the downloads for bb , i assume for upgrades .
    does anyone have a desktop copy they might be so kind to email me ?
    PM m if so .
    think the os is 4.5 but don't think kik is that fussy .
    thanks

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BB Torch 9800: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.246 Mobile Safari/534.1+)

Quote Originally Posted by crackberry
    If you're not familiar with Kik, the concept is pretty simple. You can think of it as a cross-platform BlackBerry Messenger style of app. It's still pretty basic in terms of functionality, but it does provide the R (read) and D (delivered) message stamps that makes BBM what it is, is pretty quick to use, and of course uses data instead of SMS. In the past few weeks especially, it's been gaining momentum with a lot of downloads and usage among smartphone users.

The growth among BlackBerry users has been temporarily stunted though... I woke up this morning to see a Kik message on my BlackBerry Bold 9780 from the Kik team which says,

New downloads of Kik Messenger for BlackBerry devices have been temporarily suspended. Kik service for all existing users (including BlackBerry) is unaffected, as are new downloads for iPhone and Android devices. New BlackBerry downloads will resume as soon as possible.

No explanation was given as to why, but it does seem the Kik page is no longer showing in App World. I was reading through the reviews of Kik on App World this week and there were a ton of comments complaining that it killlled battery life after being installed. Could be we'll see Kik again as soon as they clean up their coding a bit (though to be honest, I haven't personally experienced too much of a battery drain when using Kik, though I do exit the program fully after using it and just open when I get push notification).
    Last edited by DennyCrane; 11-14-2010 at 11:19 PM.

Feedback Score
    That is all true , I myself just switched my 8330 to an iPhone 4 and aside from Kik I haven't found something that's quick and simple to use .
    I have an few friends that already use it so this is a plus
    I haven't heard from them about it draining there batterys
    But since I Was a bit slow in downloading I now having an issue to find it

Feedback Score
    hey just checking again , to see if anyone has an old KIK on there desktop ?
    I tried to load whatsapp and it fail to load I have no idea why , says version 0 and just won't start up

Phone
    Carrier
    Rogers, PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    Looks like RIM has totally kicked Kik off of the RIM network, revoked the code-signing keys, etc.
    http://www.electronista.com/articles...rry.app.world/

and from the horse's mouth:
    http://www.kik.com/blog/2010/11/rim-blackberry-kik/

Engadget has RIM's statements.
    The initial one related to pulling from AppWorld:
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/15/r...ber-of-issues/

And related to RIM totally nuking KIK:
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/23/r...ontractual-ob/

Phone
    Carrier
    Rogers, PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    Wow, front page of TGAM even...

"Research In Motion gives Kik Messenger the boot"
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BB Torch 9800: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.246 Mobile Safari/534.1+)

I support RIM in this decision if there are privacy/security and battery issues with this program. A big part of RIM's reputation is how secure their product is; they have a right and an expectation to uphold that reputation, even if it means kicking a piece of third party software to the curb.

Carrier
    AT&T former Alltel Blue (WWC)
    Feedback Score
    I was turned off by Kik almost immediately. Despite what they say the contact farming was happening. When I downloaded it on my blackberry it popped up a message on the devices of my contacts who had also installed Kik and "suggested" they add me. I also received the "suggestion" notification when other people on my contact list installed it. Unlike every other messaging platform out there it didnt ask permission to access my contact list and/or share with contacts that I had installed Kik. I think RIM was totally justified in removing the app because I definitely feel that my privacy was violated.

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score

^That might explain this text I got from my buddy

I'm using Kik Messenger.it's a cross platform bbm for all smart phones and free! You should check it out at www.kik.com/s not spam! I wrote this. nick
    Although if that was auto-generated, the grammar and punctuation are horrible!
    Last edited by DennyCrane; 11-25-2010 at 02:07 AM.

Phone
    a hand phone ;)
    Carriers
    My service provider is...
    Not that either! :P
    Feedback Score
    I don't know much about the rules and how Appworld works, but can't Kik just post the .jad file on its own website and keep going?

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE, Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    RIM blocked pushed notifications, so Kik will have to recode the program to go without. That also means it will always be using data and will kill the battery on any device it gets installed on really fast.

Feedback Score
    2 (67%)
    It has been removed as everyone suggested.. Heres some more info about it I read a few days ago: http://www.berryreview.com/2010/11/2...at-did-kik-do/ Some speculation of what went on in their coments section as well if you are interested.

Phones
    iPhone 4S 64GB Black
    iPhone 5 64GB Black
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I read about those to. It's pretty sad as I have a few friends with BB and we used this app a lot. I guess it's back to texting.

Phone
    a hand phone ;)
    Carriers
    My service provider is...
    Not that either! :P
    Feedback Score
    This is all very interesting, and I'm still curious why they couldn't just to an OTA download from their website if they wanted to? ...or, is this *not* possible because the develope keys were revoked?

Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian studen View Post
    I read about those to. It's pretty sad as I have a few friends with BB and we used this app a lot. I guess it's back to texting.
    You and your friends can always try PingChat which is available on 3 platforms (iOS, Blackberry, and Android).

I've had mixed results with PingChat on my Bold 9700 in that I don't get notified on my Blackberry of new Pingchat messages unless I actually launch PingChat. However, results may vary.
    Fido (monthly plan - personal/data): Novatel Wireless MC950D or Nokia CS-18

Fido (monthly): ZTE WF720 Wireless Home Phone

Rogers (pay as you go - Canadian prepaid): "Fido" Samsung Nexus-S

Rogers (monthly BIS data plan): Blackberry Q10 <- CANCELLED over Dispute

Lycamobile (US prepaid): Sony-Ericsson c510 or Sony-Ericsson w300i

T-Mobile (US prepaid): unlocked Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB or LG Nexus-4

Bell (tablet plan): LG Nexus-4

My Tech Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast