Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: kik messenger

Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Okigire View Post
    This is all very interesting, and I'm still curious why they couldn't just to an OTA download from their website if they wanted to? ...or, is this *not* possible because the develope keys were revoked?
    Some useful parts of the BlackBerry API are locked off if you don't have valid code-signing keys. It is possible for them to resume development, but it would require a lot of clever and hacky workarounds.
    Wireless Cynic - Cynicism. There's an app for that.

Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lmcjipo View Post
    You and your friends can always try PingChat which is available on 3 platforms (iOS, Blackberry, and Android).

I've had mixed results with PingChat on my Bold 9700 in that I don't get notified on my Blackberry of new Pingchat messages unless I actually launch PingChat. However, results may vary.
    There is also WhatsApp, which works across most platforms - Android, iOS and BBOS.
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a

Phone
    Carrier
    Rogers, PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    Disappointing to see RIM acting like this:

RIM files patent infringement suit against KIK Interactive
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1820419/

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BB Torch 9800: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.337 Mobile Safari/534.1+)

Quote Originally Posted by BellVictim

I don't think we have enough information to start judging RIM just yet.

Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    Wirelessly posted (BB Torch 9800: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.246 Mobile Safari/534.1+)

I support RIM in this decision if there are privacy/security and battery issues with this program. A big part of RIM's reputation is how secure their product is; they have a right and an expectation to uphold that reputation, even if it means kicking a piece of third party software to the curb.
    Quote Originally Posted by cclay25 View Post
    I was turned off by Kik almost immediately. Despite what they say the contact farming was happening. When I downloaded it on my blackberry it popped up a message on the devices of my contacts who had also installed Kik and "suggested" they add me. I also received the "suggestion" notification when other people on my contact list installed it. Unlike every other messaging platform out there it didnt ask permission to access my contact list and/or share with contacts that I had installed Kik. I think RIM was totally justified in removing the app because I definitely feel that my privacy was violated.
    I completely agree and feel RIM is justified.

“Kik unfairly benefited from its decision to unlawfully access and use the end users’ personal information as a means of driving the growth of its business,” RIM said in its statement of claim.

Kik called RIM’s lawsuit unjustified, and plans to “vigorously defend” against it.
    ^ hmmm 2.5million users globally in 1 month - WITH the help of the spam and non-permission granted access to your address book > Kik deserves their KICK in the arse!

Quote Originally Posted by BellVictim View Post

^I'll bet you'd be disappointed if another parent called you and said their child had yours over after school and found out after yours left stuff was taken/stolen without their permission - with no other guests in the house and their calling the cops?!!//

Founder of KIK worked at RIM and used intellectual property to gain said data and trusts from end users only to be had. Also had information of future goals/endeavors about BBM's plans; since he worked with that team.

UPDATE: A simple Google search shows up LinkedIN Profile information of Ted Livingston

Ted Livingston

Title
    CEO at Kik
    Demographic info
    Toronto, Canada Area | Telecommunications

Current:
    CEO at Kik Interactive, Inc.
    Past:
    Technical Product Management Coordinator at Research In Motion, Sales Executive at Impact Entrepreneurship Group, Systems Engineering Project Coo...
    Education:
    University of Waterloo
    Summary:
    Deep knowledge of the mobile industry, mobile user psychology, and mobile technologies. Looking to change the world
    Last edited by Supa_Fly; 12-01-2010 at 08:01 PM. Reason: PROOF
    Formerly: Prom1, now I'm Supa_Fly!!
    My Feedback

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BB Torch 9800: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.337 Mobile Safari/534.1+)

Quote Originally Posted by Prom1
    Founder of KIK worked at RIM and used intellectual property to gain said data and trusts from end users only to be had. Also had information of future goals/endeavors about BBM's plans; since he worked with that team.
    And now it starts to get juicy! Very interesting...
    Last edited by DennyCrane; 12-01-2010 at 08:17 PM.

Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Can't wait to see what's left of Livingston and Kik after this. Maybe they'll innovate - I don't see how their service saves much money at all for BB users on Rogers while roaming internationally. One employee used it almost exclusively for 2wks in the USA and $600+ later he freaked out.

Carriers
    Fido (Snoopy's Dog House)
    Feedback Score
    what ever happened to msn messenger or yahoo messenger? those are cross platform, and have all the bugs ironed out

why do we need more?
    My Feedback
    I put the "Ho" back in "HOFO"

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    RIM didn't do anything until Kik became popular. It's kind of two faced to just go after Kik when a whole bunch of more established apps with similar functionality (WhatsApp, PingChat, etc.) probably infringe on the same patents as well.

I think RIM should focus their efforts on competing with Apple, Google and Microsoft instead of trying to squash the little guy. I don't know the full details, so maybe my comments are premature, but that's my two cents on the matter.

Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickpowers101 View Post
    RIM didn't do anything until Kik became popular. It's kind of two faced to just go after Kik when a whole bunch of more established apps with similar functionality (WhatsApp, PingChat, etc.) probably infringe on the same patents as well.

I think RIM should focus their efforts on competing with Apple, Google and Microsoft instead of trying to squash the little guy. I don't know the full details, so maybe my comments are premature, but that's my two cents on the matter.
    Nothing two-faced about it. As the app explosively becomes popular more users reported having un-authorized access to their address book, this is when RIM took noticed and started to investigate the code. When they realized it was using their NOC and other poprietary intellectual property THEN they pulled this - as it goes against their security policy model, and against end user's trust. If your parents took you to school as a child and you where beat up in the cafe with lunchroom teachers present and you needed to goto the hospital … would it be two faced to say 1) your parents trusted the school system? 2) that they went after the school board if nothing was done to prevent, stop the fight or take you to the hospital on their behalf? Yeah I didn't think so … the same principles apply here … RIM trusted this company to play fair and they abused their trust and that of the end users in their "school" = AppWorld or OS. You may not see the parallels here but it apply's.

Quote Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
    what ever happened to msn messenger or yahoo messenger? those are cross platform, and have all the bugs ironed out

why do we need more?
    Yes we have MSN/YIM/AIM. Yet those are NOT actually instant (yet VERY close) when it comes to mobile phones. Their not intuitive enough to send the message and confirm to you it was delivered when you get into coverage again … and most if not ALL those systems have a time limit of when their servers will hold the message when delivered to the smartphone platforms' apps; desktops are different.

Also, their not as intimate: Groups, sharing calendars, pictures and files within those calendars; revealing updates. To coin the geek phrase of mobile os platforms "their OS is dated".

Phones
    iPhone 4S 64GB Black
    iPhone 5 64GB Black
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This story is getting crazy. Thanks for the info Prom.

Phones
    Motorola i576 Mike
    Iphone4, Wind data stick
    Huawei 1250 Wind
    Carriers
    FIDO
    t-mobile, voodafone.de
    Feedback Score
    any new developments

Phone
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier