Thread: Smartphone without data plan. Is it possible?

Feedback Score

Smartphone without data plan. Is it possible?

I stumbled across this forum in my quest to find out if there is any possible way to have a US Cellular smartphone and not the data package. Between school, work, and home I have wifi 98% of the time. Because of this, I have absolutely no desire to pay for a data plan. However, I realize that US Cellular doesn't give you the option when you sign up to get a smartphone and not the data plan.

My question is, can it be done any way at all? I would gladly pay the full price for either a new or used phone if it meant skipping the data package. I would even be happy with an older model. Maybe there are other cellular providers out there that offer this?

Thanks for any tips or information!

Feedback Score
    Oh, and if this isn't possible, would anyone have any suggestions for a phone that doesn't require a data plan? I have had an old Nokia 6265i for the last 4-5 years and loved it. Since it recently died, I'm hunting for a new phone since Nokia is no longer an option with US Cellular.

Phones
    HTC Desire
    Blackberry Tour 9630
    HTC Touch Pro2
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    For a month or 2 I had a Samsung Caliber with no data plan on my account but I had to add it due to overage charges which were credited back to my account. I guess it is possible. All I did was call n activate it I guess they forgot to add the data plan to the line.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk

Phones
    Galaxy S2
    Retired Mesmerise
    LG VX5600 Verizon Backup
    Carriers
    AT&T
    U.S.Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Yes it is. Even though they say it HAS to be its a lie cause the system lets you do it without it. My mom has had her caliber without data for almost a year now and one of my other lines with a TP2 has been for a few months, The only reason the other line is a TP2 cause his phone broke and he doesnt need data he just needed a phone to use.

But I don`t see why you would want it without data. Cause if you have wifi most of the time, why not get a netbook?
    AT&T 3G Speedtest on my White Galaxy Note

Wi-Fi Speedtest

I am no longer a Primary Uscc User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.net

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Yes it is. Even though they say it HAS to be its a lie cause the system lets you do it without it. My mom has had her caliber without data for almost a year now and one of my other lines with a TP2 has been for a few months, The only reason the other line is a TP2 cause his phone broke and he doesnt need data he just needed a phone to use.

But I don`t see why you would want it without data. Cause if you have wifi most of the time, why not get a netbook?
    What the system is capable of has zero connection with company policy. None. Bottom line - if the rep is doing their job and following company policy, then no, you cannot activate a smartphone without data. It's clearly in the T&C's that it's required. If a rep does manage to activate it without data, they're risking their job. And if you do manage to do it, and later make changes to said line (say, activating a warranty or insurance replacement), then don't be surprised if adding the appropriate data package is a requirement to do so.

Phones
    Samsung Mesmerize
    Motorola w385 (backup)
    LG Bliss (backup)
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Oh, and if this isn't possible, would anyone have any suggestions for a phone that doesn't require a data plan?
    Some good reliable phones that don't require data plans are the Mystique, Quantico, and Wine II.
    need kidney ... STAT

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Also the LG Banter Touch looks fantastic.

Feedback Score
    Thank you so much to everyone for your input. Since it looks rather doubtful if it's possible to get an actual smartphone without the required data plan I will probably go with either the LG Banter Tough or the Samsung Messager Touch.