Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Huawei m860 one click solution to root and un-root your device

Phones
    M860 ascend locust *RooTeD*.prl.42600.Linux version 3.0-git
    1st cricket phone sprint Mogul ppc
    experiment Blackberry 8350i mms wap pushmail nav os5 boostmobile anaworm full service books
    Carriers
    cricket
    Google voice
    Feedback Score

Huawei m860 one click solution to root and un-root your device

Z4root is a one click solution to root and un-root your device. Works for many Android devices, such as huawei m860 ascend and can be directly downloaded and installed via the market or appbrain ,and we have RyanZA over at xda to thank for such a trouble free and simple way to gain root. And theres no need for a computer, or need to type any commands.

The author states
    "Should be 100% safe - nothing on disk is changed besides the root binaries, so if something goes wrong, simply rebooting the device should fix up any and all issues. Let me know if you find any bugs!"

So lets get started rooting the. M860 if your not already finished.

*usb debuging should be enabled (menu>settings>applications>development)

Download the Z4Root.apk version 1.2.0 and above support the m860. I used version 1.2.0 for at this time it was at the newest version.
    You can get it direct from the market or if you choose:
    Appbrain users : appbrain.com/app/z4root/com.z4mod.z4root
    Offical page :forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833953

Things should pretty much be point and click from here the application is installed just like any other and is found in your apps home.

Start the application

Then click on the Root button.

Wait for the process to exploit root it may take a few minutes mine took 3minutes to complete the bottom windows text will change and notify you as to what stage it is in but you will know when it's done because it will "save file" and automatically restarts the phone.

(My device was rooted with no problem on the first try, a friends, hung the first time useing 1.21 i deleted it and used 1.20 and had no problems)

After boot what has changed is now you should have the superuser application in your app home. This application. manages and controls which applications. are allowed to be run as root.

What this means for you and why is a total control of you android experience now you can remove all those cricket applications from the system change your boot screen graphics and animations, tether your wireless devices, set the speed of the cpu or even change the density of the screen.

Have root ?
    $
    $
    hope this post is more informative than last one in the wrong section
    Last edited by MASDAVI; 12-25-2010 at 10:11 AM.

Feedback Score
    My Huawei ascend m860 is stuck in the unpacking mode I used the up volume end and power key to get to how do you get out of that

Phones
    experiment Blackberry 8350i mms wap pushmail nav os5 boostmobile anaworm full service books
    Carriers
    cricket
    Google voice
    Feedback Score

Question up volume end and power key has nothing to do with rooting your phone

Quote Originally Posted by felion4 View Post
    My Huawei ascend m860 is stuck in the unpacking mode I used the up volume end and power key to get to how do you get out of that
    "up volume end and power key" has nothing to do with rooting your phone which this tread is about

"up volume end and power key" is used to flash the recovery image either way
    rooting does not use the method read this post on how to flash M860 recovery image and post questions there.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...01C153B251SP03

if its stuck pull the battery and start rooting again make sure your useing z4root 1.20 the others i have used make the device hang

if its recovery samething pull the battery and try to flash again

Phones
    Carriers
    cricket
    Google voice
    Feedback Score

Rooted||Cricket Ascend Modifications||" Deleting the Bloatware"

1. If you haven’t rooted (see my post above)

2. Now we have a stock rom for recovery we have no worries about digging through the phone (see my post here for the recovery image)http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...01C153B251SP03

3. ALWAYS RUN AN APPLICATION & CONTACTBACKUP and Place "dload" folder from the recovery image.zip to the root of your sd card so it’s ready to use (just in case)
    4. A root file manager is need (check the market) we are going to need to be able to mount the system and data folders i am useing (root explorer)

So now assuming that everything is installed and you have root

We are going to look at the contents of the system application directory of the m860
    (use your file manager to navigate to this directory)

/system/app

This is pretty much your stock 2.1 Android rom we are going to remove as much crap from this rom as possible others we will simpley delete and install them to

/data/app

where they belong besides why does YouTube or Photobucket need root i can think of a few better things to use this internal space for
    *note any good file root file manage will allow you to make a backup or zip .apk and odex files to sd so before you delete them back them up

*reboot is need to uninstall useing menu>settings>applications>manage>uninstall

Cricket games Uno and midnight bowling2 (DELETE THESE FILES)
    |-- com.gameloft.android.Cricket.GloftMBO2_EN.apk
    |-- com.gameloft.android.Cricket.GloftMBO2_EN.odex
    |-- com.gameloft.android.Cricket.GloftUNOG_EN.apk
    |-- com.gameloft.android.Cricket.GloftUNOG_EN.odex
    (menu>settings>applications>manage>uninstall com.gmaeloft.android.MB02
    uninstall com.gamelift.android.CRICKET

Cricket Store Front (have android market) - useless
    |-- mPA_SFC_2.1_production.apk
    |-- mPA_SFC_2.1_production.odex
    Menu>settings>applications>manage>uninstall com.mportal.tj.asfc.ui

Cricket Backup (I did keep this to sync my contacts but there are other apps out there and this can be deleted)
    |-- coconut_cricket_prod_a2.0_v1.17_aligned.apk
    |-- coconut_cricket_prod_a2.0_v1.17_aligned.odex

Cricket Mobile WebLink (has no effect on internet connection) - useless
    |-- MobileWeb.apk
    |-- MobileWeb.odex
    Menu>settings>applications>manage>uninstall MobileWeb.Launcher3

Cricket My Account Weblink -useless
    |-- MyAccount.apk
    |-- MyAccount.odex
    Menu>settings>applications>manage>uninstall MyAccount.Launcher3

Poynt Web Search app -useless
    |-- Poynt-Release1.apk
    |-- Poynt-Release1.odex
    Menu>settings>applications>manage>uninstall com.poynt.android

Photobucket - (runs in the background and uses to much memory and i don’t use it)
    |-- PbAndroid.apk
    |-- PbAndroid.odex
    Menu>settings>applications>manage>uninstall com.photobucket.android

Upload media to remote servers Picasa (dont use) (has no effect on sending via email,mms,facebook etc.)
    |-- MediaUploader.apk
    |-- MediaUploader.odex

controls system Media ***do not delete!!!( deleted and all system defualt ring tones and media playback will recive and error
    was encountered on your sd while trying to use the music player/gallery/ and all sounds will be default and removed from the menus)
    |-- MediaProvider.apk
    |-- MediaProvider.odex

youtube - (don’t use it /doesn’t need to be on root of phone/can reinstall via market)
    |-- YouTube.apk
    |-- YouTube.odex
    Menu>settings>applications>manage>uninstall com.google.android.youtube

Default File Manager (deleted and replaced with market app installed to /data/app )
    |-- FileManager.apk
    |-- FileManager.odex
    Menu>settings>applications>manage>uninstall com.android.filemanager

[FONT=Angsana New]Default Gallery (deleted and replaced with market app installed to /data/app [/ FONT])
    |-- Gallery.apk
    |-- Gallery.odex
    Menu>settings>applications>manage>uninstall com.android.gallery

Default Music Player (deleted and replaced with market app installed to /data/app )
    |-- Music.apk
    |-- Music.odex
    Menu>settings>applications>manage>uninstall com.android.music

Default Note Pad (deleted and replaced with market app installed to /data/app )
    |-- NotePad.apk
    |-- NotePad.odex
    Menu>settings>applications>manage>uninstall com.example.android.notepad

Default Alarm Clock (deleted and replaced with market app installed to /data/app )

Documents to go (deleted and will be reinstalled to /data/app )
    |-- DocumentToGo.apk
    |-- DocumentToGo.odex
    Menu>settings>applica tions>manage>uninstall com.dataviz.docstogo

swype keyboard (deleted and reinstalled to /data/app later replaced by smart keyboard pro)
    |-- Swype.apk
    |-- Swype.odex

[FONT=Angsana New]google maps (deleted and installed to /data/app [/ FONT])
    |-- Maps.apk
    |-- Maps.odex

So that being I hope you have found this helpful
    We have modified the system applications and gotten rid of the junk
    not only freed up space on the phone but those useless background process's are gone now and looks like we slimd down this rom alot
    are and with a good task manager we can gain memory for the applications we use
    if anyone else has anything that they have found that can be deleted without destroying normal operations
    Please post
    Last edited by MASDAVI; 11-25-2010 at 11:35 AM.

Feedback Score
    Hello, I think I have done everything on the guide that you posted but when I try to delete Cricket apps or any others from the file manager it says read only, how can I change that to be able to delete them and uninstall them. thanks

Phones
    Carriers
    cricket
    Google voice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skyni View Post
    Hello, I think I have done everything on the guide that you posted but when I try to delete Cricket apps or any others from the file manager it says read only, how can I change that to be able to delete them and uninstall them. thanks
    You need to use a file manager that allows for the mounting the system to read and write. Root explorer works like this press the r/w button and go to work

Then you can proceed with deleting and moving apps to and from the system

Sent from my M860 using Tapatalk

Phones
    Carriers
    cricket
    Google voice
    Feedback Score

Rooted||Cricket Ascend Modifications||"Control LCD Density With ro.sf.lcd_density="

So there are all these applications that will change the denisty of the android screen.
    These apps claim that they can increase how much space is available on the phone by altering the density of the screen (root required). By changing the compression settings, the app creates an artificially high-resolution settings

EXAMPLE:

EXAMPLE:

The problem is if you reboot all settings are lost .

as of writeing not one of these free or paided apps will write to the default system value on the m860 which is 160

Well what we are going to do is say screw that I have root and I dont need to pay or download an app to control my screen

I am going to set the system default to something that works for me

with one line of code

ro.sf.lcd_density=

Open your root file manager to

/system/

mount the system r/w and

open the file build.prop useing the text editor

scroll down to the line:
    ro.config.hw_CustomizeWallpaper=

add this to the space above and set the desired value

# density in DPI of the LCD of this board. This is used to scale the UI
    # appropriately. If this property is not defined, the default value is 160 dpi.
    ro.sf.lcd_density=137
    Last edited by MASDAVI; 12-03-2010 at 06:45 PM.

Feedback Score
    Why is Z4root now missing from Android Market and AppBrain?

Seems to be needed to start a full root of this phone?
    Former Cricket User: Boise, ID

Feedback Score
    Yea I noticed that they removed the Z4Root app from the android market... anywais my question is this one, I got to delet all those files that I mentioned, but I deleted the youtube.apk and my gallery.apk and I did not do a backup of them... and well there is not a youtube.apk on the android market, and for the gallery one the ones that I downloaded do not let me send pictures by mail, txt, facebook and when I had the one it came with, it did work... is there a way you could share those with me from your backup or you got any idea where I can get them from, oh and I am also missing alot my swype keyboard ..... i should have done the backup

Feedback Score
    what how did that get there my mom didnt buy the phone for me lol it was my sis

Phones
    Moto Rzr Maxx
    Motorola Rzr Maxx
    Samsung Restore
    Carriers
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Ok so i tried dl'n the z4root.1.3.0.apk file on the xda site, but all i get is content not supported and it will not dl. What now?

n/m I allowed web downloads in Astro and i'm good to go!
    Last edited by Darksyderydaz; 12-15-2010 at 11:07 PM.

Feedback Score
    I liked this guide but I have a couple of issues I thought maybe others would like to be aware of. If you delete the youtube app ive found no way to re-install one from the market therefore leaving no way to watch youtube links. Also If you resize your screen it throws the aspect ratio off on all your (Custom) wallpapers.

If anyone knows a way to get youtube back on I would greatly appreciate it

Feedback Score
    I Gotta Big Problem, i Was following all these instructions, but i have METRO PCS, and all problems really started after the software upgrde, now my phone is criket-fied, and to make matters worst, this error message keeps coming up, stoping me from doing just about anything that reads "sorry! The process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again later" i believe i fix all this by getting a UPDATA.APP but for metro, or the original file that was there b4 i did the upgrade, all i wanted to do was rid this fone of all the pre-installed crapware, nd overclock the cpu, I NEED HELP ASAP PLEASE!!! nd thx u

Phones
    Carriers
    cricket
    Google voice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JDinAZ View Post
    I liked this guide but I have a couple of issues I thought maybe others would like to be aware of. If you delete the youtube app ive found no way to re-install one from the market therefore leaving no way to watch youtube links. Also If you resize your screen it throws the aspect ratio off on all your (Custom) wallpapers.

If anyone knows a way to get youtube back on I would greatly appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by skyni View Post
    Yea I noticed that they removed the Z4Root app from the android market... anywais my question is this one, I got to delet all those files that I mentioned, but I deleted the youtube.apk and my gallery.apk and I did not do a backup of them... and well there is not a youtube.apk on the android market, and for the gallery one the ones that I downloaded do not let me send pictures by mail, txt, facebook and when I had the one it came with, it did work... is there a way you could share those with me from your backup or you got any idea where I can get them from, oh and I am also missing alot my swype keyboard ..... i should have done the backup
    thats strange my market shows me every system app that has been deleted or swaped out as being avaliable for download and upgrade.

z4root was pulled from the vending market but not alt-market apps but can always be found on the authors page.

as for youtube and gallery apps as well as other system apps these can be pulled from any android 2.1

utub
    http://db.tt/R85RHYl
    gal
    http://db.tt/92Mgq5R

M860.running*locust.2.1.1
    (85mb non-odexsystem)
    sent via Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    this thread was alot of help. only problem was i acc erased the media provider apk is there anyway to restore or reinstall?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast