Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Intercept GPS?

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile FTW!
    Feedback Score

Intercept GPS?

Just wondered if anyone has tried to use the GPS for long road trips on the VM Intercept? Next week I'll be driving from FL to MI and was wondering if I'd be able to use Google Navigation the entire way or if I should purchase Copilot or something with pre-downloaded maps? TIA

HTC: Mogul, Touch, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2, Sensation
    Samsung: Moment, Intercept, Galaxy Note 2
    LG: Optimus V, Optimus Slider
    Tablets: Nook, Iconia Tab, Nexus 7

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Don't even try it unless you have a car charger. I've used it a bit and it worked well. I haven't used it on any long trips. It absolutely hammers the battery though.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I used it a couple times just to test it on my 100 mile round trip to and from work, and it works just fine.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile FTW!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyhaskins View Post
    Don't even try it unless you have a car charger. I've used it a bit and it worked well. I haven't used it on any long trips. It absolutely hammers the battery though.
    I've got a car charger I love to charge up even on short trips

Quote Originally Posted by idbl_fanatic View Post
    I used it a couple times just to test it on my 100 mile round trip to and from work, and it works just fine.
    I guess I'll try Google Navigation and maybe get another program as a backup just in case, anybody recommend one?

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Copilot Live is only $5.

Feedback Score
    I'd be interested in your findings, after your trip how well 1) service was throughout 2) GPS experience and 3) if you use Pandora, were you able to stream for the majority of the trip and so on. Thanks.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Coverage on the interstates should be very good. However, if you need to detour and lose your data connection, Google Nav won't work.

Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The only problem with the stock GPS , and any other one, is the chance you get off-course... as long as you click ahead to see each step along the route before you start, enough detail will load for you to do the trip, even across barren coverage-free stretches.

If anybody has any good examples of an offline GPS, i'd be interested.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile FTW!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oldroadfan View Post
    I'd be interested in your findings, after your trip how well 1) service was throughout 2) GPS experience and 3) if you use Pandora, were you able to stream for the majority of the trip and so on. Thanks.
    I'll report back, I have another GPS unit for backup if needed. I don't think I'll be streaming Pandora at the same time as GPS but I'll try it. I've done the trip several times using Sprint on a WM phone. Not sure how VM handles roaming and whatnot..
    Quote Originally Posted by primetechv2 View Post
    The only problem with the stock GPS , and any other one, is the chance you get off-course... as long as you click ahead to see each step along the route before you start, enough detail will load for you to do the trip, even across barren coverage-free stretches.

If anybody has any good examples of an offline GPS, i'd be interested.
    I thought CoPilot was offline if you have the maps on the SD card?

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ONE80ONEDAY View Post
    I'll report back, I have another GPS unit for backup if needed. I don't think I'll be streaming Pandora at the same time as GPS but I'll try it. I've done the trip several times using Sprint on a WM phone. Not sure how VM handles roaming and whatnot..

I thought CoPilot was offline if you have the maps on the SD card?
    There is no roaming on VM because you can only use Sprint towers.

Copilot uses offline maps downloaded to the SD card. I've seen some reviews complaining that the maps are 5-10 years old.

Phones
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Google Maps needs an offline mode, badly. If only to load a tiny subset of where you're going...

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile FTW!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by primetechv2 View Post
    Google Maps needs an offline mode, badly. If only to load a tiny subset of where you're going...
    Looks like they are working on a mod... http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=630887

Phones
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It seems to beg the question, "why doesn't Google?" They could corner the GPS market without too much effort... or is Android's goal to have everyone connected online no matter the cost?

Phones
    Motorola i335
    IPhone 3G
    Sony Incognito
    Carriers
    Boost CDMA and IDen
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The GPS seems to work much better than the one in my iPhone 3G, and I like the google navigation. Much better than the google maps that comes on the iPhone. Seems to update a fix much more often and seems to stay on a signal better.

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
    Copilot uses offline maps downloaded to the SD card. I've seen some reviews complaining that the maps are 5-10 years old.
    That's not quite correct. Copilot updates their maps on a monthly basis and provides these updates for free. They also allow users to report map problems through their website, and these reports are used to help fix map problems.

Are Copilot maps as good as say, Garmin or Tomtom? No, I don't think so. Have I found them to be generally usable? Yes.

And google maps aren't perfect either. There's a area of roads in my town where three roads intersect forming a triangle, and the three streets become one-way (not quite a traffic circle, but you get the idea.) This has been this way as long as I can remember (30+ years). Google maps, however, shows these streets as two-way.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast