Thread: Samsung Intercept Temporary (Easy) Root to Delete Apps

Phone
    Triumph
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Samsung Intercept Temporary (Easy) Root to Delete Apps

First of all, whatever you do to your phone is your own responsibility.
    In this topic I do not provide any tech support, I just share my own experience. Please note, that in some other conditions something can go wrong, I do NOT encourage you to root, flash, delete any of softwares.

This is the easiest way to delete pre-loaded VM applications that I found so far. It does require some experience, please read 5 times before you finally decide to do it.
    The root provided in this topic is temporary. I don't know how to make it work constantly. This root will NOT make you Wi-Fi tethering work. You don't need your phone to be booted in recovery mode. I'm not big fan of flashing ROMs or rooting, I did for one reason only, to get rid of some annoying apps. All apps deleted by YOU is YOUR responsibility. Do NOT delete, what you don't know.

1. First of all find your drivers. I had problems with Windows 7 drivers, I installed PdaNet, it came with drivers, clicked Samsung Drivers at the end, rebooted my phone and my was finally recognized by windows.
    2. Turn on USB Debugging on your phone. Settings>Applications>Development>USB Debugging.
    3. Download SuperOneClick v1.5.5. I'm not owner of this amazing app, all credit go to the creator. XDA forums needs registration in order to download.
    Again, this is the easiest root method I'm aware of. No kernel, no ROMs, no flashing. The program requires Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0+.
    4. Downoad Android SDK.
    5. UnZip Both of downloaded packages. Remove SD card from your phone. Plug your phone. Your USB Debuging is ON, right? Your drivers are working, and Windows sees your phone? Great! Open SuperOneClick.exe. Click Root. If everything worked you will get "Your Phone Is Rooted". SuperOneClick installs Superuser application on your phone, you can remove it later.
    6. Your phone should be rooted. Close SuperOneClick. Open Command Prompt (Start>Run> type cmd) Navigate to the Android SDK folder. Easiest way to navigate, to rename Adroid SDK Folder to Android and put in on hard drive. In my case D drive. ("dir" for directory list, "cd .." to go back a folder, "cd <folder name>" to go to a folder) Under the folder 'tools' you will find adb.exe. Type adb.exe
    In my case I typed:
    Code:
    D:
    cd android
    cd tools
    adb.exe
    7. Now, type adb shell. If this was done correctly, you will see a # in your terminal window. If not, something is wrong. Double check your work.
    Type:
    1. su
    2. mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/stl5 /system (This will allow you to modify the system directory.)
    3. cd /system/app
    4. ls *.apk (This will provide you with a list of applications)
    5. cat AppName.apk > /sdcard/AppName.apk (This will backup the APK specified to your SD Card. Do this if you are unsure if it is safe to remove.)
    6. rm AppName.apk (Replace AppName with app you desire to remove. This command is case-sensitive.)
    7. mount -o remount,ro -t rfs /dev/stl5 /system (Set system to read only to prevent malicious activity.)
    RM is command to delete application. So if you want to delete amazon mp3 store application, you type rm amazonmp3.apk and hit Enter

Please note, that the names of applications are case sensitive.
    Here's the list of all application "SAFE TO REMOVE". Please, read what they all do. I don't think all of them are safe to remove. I personally removed:
    AmazonMp3.apk
    Android_VirginUS-Chat.apk
    Email.apk (I use Gmail anyway)
    SPGMyAccount.apk
    Virgin_Mobile.apk
    vmu_cellmania_store_1.1.11.apk
    Superuser.apk (don't really need it anymore)

I left Virgin's Activate button. Who knows, one day I might need it.
    Don't forget to
    mount -o remount,ro -t rfs /dev/stl5 /system
    when you are done deleting.
    Unplug and restart your phone. Your apps are gone. Go to Manage Application and uninstall whatever those apps left in that folder.
    I think your phone is not rooted anymore. Mine is not. It got locked right after reboot. If yours is still rooted and you want to unroot it, you can run SuperOneClick app and click UnRoot.

All credits go to people who made is possible. I just shared my own experience.

Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    1. So SuperOneClick does work.
    2. Also, can do this from inside the terminal on Android. Makes you not have to connect the phone, or download/run ADB.
    3. You can type "rm AppNa*" if you feel too lazy to type the whole app name. Be VERY careful not to type a name that is shared by two things... e.g. "Voice*" because there are several apps that start with "Voice" though.
    4. KeyBoardSlideUpCounter.* is unnecessary. It counts the number of times you open the keyboard. (WTF mate?)
    5. List of personally removed APKs: These are either totally unnecessary, or are part of VM's crap icons. (Crap icons are colored in blue.)
      Android_VirginUS-Chat.apk
      Brightness.apk/odex
      DrmProvider.apk/odex
      Dun.apk
      FactoryTest.apk/odex
      GlobalSearch.apk/odex
      GoogleCheckin.apk
      GpsSetup.apk/odex
      HTMLViewer.apk/odex
      InputEventApp.apk/odex
      KeyBoardSlideUpCounter.apk/odex
      LcdTest.apk/odex
      OPP.apk/odex
      PicoTts.apk
      SDSA.apk
      serviceModeApp.apk/odex
      shutdown.apk/odex
      SPGMyAccount.apk
      SprintAndroidExtension.apk
      Sprint_App_Updater.apk
      Term.apk/odex
      Virgin_Mobile.apk
      vmu_cellmania_store_1.1.11.apk
      VpnServices.apk/odex
      version.apk
      WlanTest.apk/odex

Phone
    Triumph
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Looks like even easier way to soft root is the latest z4root.
    Available now on the market.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by velishka View Post
    Looks like even easier way to soft root is the latest z4root.
    Available now on the market.
    Ok.. I tried this app in Temporary root, it wouldnt let me Delete anything..( meaning unwanted crap apps) plus.. I couldn't download any uninstall apps from the market either.. the only thing i was able to do is clear the cache's which helped.. but, they are getting filled back up again, so i just unrooted then uninstalled the app ( it was 23mbs anyway!!) but, it left the Superuser program app.. so i uninstalled that. my phone seems to be just fine. but, im wondering if i did something wrong some how? I read every where that you can remove unwanted apps by rooting, but, hubby has rooted his moto droid & he says that HE cant even removed anything from his phone either.. Anyone else know why this is?

Phones
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You have to remount the /system directory especially for rooting, something that phones usually don't do for you. It's another line of code in either a terminal (on a rooted phone) or adb (on your computer)...

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/stl5 /system
    to allow writing and

Code:
    mount -o remount,ro -t rfs /dev/stl5 /system
    to remove it (make read-only). Those are the only lines a rooted user needs to use to make the process work. If you're positive you're rooted, there should be no problem. But I'm not a big proponent of temporary roots.

Feedback Score
    i was wondering how do i access terminal through the phone or is there an app i have to download. thanks

Phones
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Terminal Emulator is free. And pretty good too.

Feedback Score
    after deleting try to finish up with

mount -o remount, ro -t rfs /dev/stl5 /system

get message
    "mount: device or resouce busy"

anyone know how to fix?
    scared to unplug my phone

Feedback Score
    Usually this is when you are trying to umount a directory you are in... or is currently doing something with locked files within that directory...

Try a "cd /" 1st... let us know if that helps. You could have 2 (emulator) session opened and are still in the other also...