Thread: MyTouch Slide-can internal memory storage be increased?

Feedback Score

MyTouch Slide-can internal memory storage be increased?

I just bought a used HTC/MyTouch 3G Slide and the biggest complaint I am having right now is the intenal memory. Im new to Android but it seems apps can only be installed on the phone memory and not the SD card. I only installed a few apps....skype, google voice, some file handler, Angry Birds, etc... and Im already getting messages saying I need to remove some programs even with doing something as little as opening a text message!

So in short, is there any way to replace the phones internal memory with something bigger? I know it probably isnt some approved way of doing it and looked on youtube to see if anyone has tried it but no luck.

Phones
    Nexus One, Droid Incredible, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S
    iPod Touch 64gb, Droid Eris (reserve)
    Blackberry Tour (sold), Nokia N85, Nokia 5530, MyTouch 3G (reserve)
    Carriers
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    Not really. You will have to wait for Android 2.2 Froyo, which is soon coming to the phone, to let you save apps on the SD card. Note, only some apps will allow you to save on the SD card. Angry Birds will install on the SD card, but not Skype.

My suggestion is to remove apps that are not useful for you and those that take up too much space. Some apps have settings that let them cache on the SD card. Turn that on.

Now if the phone is used, was it previously cleared of apps before? Are you downloading apps through your own Google account?

If you paid for apps, don't worry about erasing them. The Android Market will always remember paid apps marked with your login, so they will always be to be downloaded back again for free anytime in the future or on another phone.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Feedback Score
    I dont recall Angry Birds asking me where to install but will try again. I have only downloaded and installed from the Market (dont know any other way)

When is 2.2 coming out? Is it suppose to give the option to install to the SD?

Ive only installed 5 or so apps, all which I would like to keep. All are free too, not paying for any yet till I am more comfortable with this whole android thing.

I have done a total reset on the phone but it still puts a TON of stuff on the phone which I guess I am stuck with. Crapware would probably be the best way to explain. None of it seems to have uninstall options either so I guess I cant to much about it.

Phones
    Carriers
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    Anything that has a MyTouch name will be on 2.2 before the end of this year. Including the Slide. There is a chance the updates for the Slide itself will start rolling out before the end of this month.

What kind of apps did you install? Most Android apps range from 300kb to 3mb. The Slide, fresh and ready to use should have at least 131mb. There are not that many apps that take up more than 15mb, an example of such is Google Earth. But Google Earth will transfer to the SD card if you go to Running Applications and do the settings. Given the average size of the Android apps, it takes a lot more than 5 before you ever hit a low memory message.

A source of bloat, which happens on the HTC Sense phones is the contact book going up past 36mb or more. What causes that? Being too popular on Facebook, Twitter and MySpace and HTC Sense syncing all your social networking friends into your contact book. Your contact book has separate tabs. Most people just took at the first tab where you have your phone contacts. But behind those tabs are tabs for Facebook, Twitter, Gmail and so on friends.

If your contact book gets too big, lets say, past 35mb, the low in error memory message appears. The error message may suggest you may have installed too many apps, when in fact, you are running out of alloted memory on your contact book.

How would you know this?

If apps stored on phone memory is responsible for the low memory message, you can check the SD card setting and it should be under 15mb. That's the only time where apps would cause this message.

If the phone memory is above 15mb, check your contacts tab by tab if you got Faceboook, Twitter, MySpace synced. You should know yourself if you have a lot of friends on social networking or in GMail. This is a problem if you are following or being followed in Twitter by the thousands, which is fairly common for power Tweeps. if such is the case, you have to unsync the social networking accounts from Accounts & Sync. Its fairly safe to say, keep your sync accounts active only for GMail and Facebook, unless you got thousands of friends in Facebook, then you have to turn off the sync.

Personally I was hit with a low phone memory on my Droid Incredible---even though my phone reads over 630mb of phone memory left. The culprit, it turned out, was, the bloated Peoples or Contacts book caused by syncing social networking services to it.

Feedback Score
    All the apps I had installed myself were Groupon, Machinima, Skype, Angry Birds, Advanced Task Killer, Facebook, Yahoo Mail, Opera, eBuddy and thats it. I have removed Groupon and Yahoo Mail since then. That really isnt too many is it? I figured people would generally keep hundreds of apps on these things. It came with tons though, i can count 53 icons in the menu and none of them seem to be uninstallable. I have jsut found out that my phone was a demo model originally so it has me wondering if thats why there is so much on it and why the memory seems so small?

I cant figure out how big the internal memory is but it says now it has 14.86mb free. I know it was a little more last nite so i assume the cache is filling up but I cant figure out where that would be. I see that I can empty it from certain apps but there are hundreds on this and i dont know which ones do without going down the line. Dont know what happened now but tonite, the only things that show up on any of the home pages are the icons i placed on the main one. I use to be able to slide to the other windows and there would be the email and other things. Now they are all blank? Dont even see the clock widget on the main page and cant seem to put it back there when i try to.

I did look at the contacts file and it seems to just be a couple megs. I dont use twitter and dont have that much with facebook either so I should be ok with all that. Im really confused by all this contacts syncing though! I really didnt want it to integrate everyone with everyone with every app. I was aware this might happen too and was extra careful to avoid it but wow, its just not possible to!

Feedback Score
    oh yeah, if i was to get my phone unlocked or jailbroken, should that give me the ability to uninstall any of these default preinstalled items dont seem to have the ability to be removed?

Phones
    Carriers
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    Even carrier phones would only carry a handful of apps, like few only---and most of these apps are small and would hardly make a dent on the phone memory foot print. Given the kind of apps you listed you installed yourself, you should not have run out of memory assuming the phone is clean.

It's obviously not. Whoever used it before has it loaded with tons of stuff, and much of that stuff aren't even the carriers. i noticed in many demo phones, people, ranging from the sales people to the customers would do all sorts of downloading into these phones.

Much of that stuff should be removable. Even if some apps are uninstallable, bundled, you can still uninstall their updates, which reduces their memory footprint.

A phone that is unlocked won't remove the carrier installed apps. it has to be rooted. But I don't think that's the problem. In any case, try to remove everything one by one.

The phone should have been given a clean reset before it was sold to you. That would have wiped out everything and returns the phone to a clean blank state. your situation is like renting a new apartment with all the previous owner's stuff inside it.

If you want to find which app hogs the most memory, go to Applications then > Manage Applications. Then Press Menu button on the bottom and you will see Sort by Size. It will list the apps by their memory size. You can start by uninstalling there. Some apps can also be reduced in size by clearing their cache or data.

Feedback Score
    actually, he did reset the phone and I have done it myself also. All these applications that show seem to be part of the original setup because everything is still there but the stuff i have installed and changed is gone. I have looked at the file sizes of a lot of them and they are pretty tiny but none have an uninstall option. I figured they were just locked somehow and there must be some way to force remove a lot of them.

Listing by file size, pretty much the ones i put in are the larger ones at 16, 12, 8, 5, 3 mb's. Maybe this is just a normal thing, i just figured it would have the space to fill up many types of apps, not just 5 to 10 of them.

I guess my only hope right now is that when this Android 2.2 version comes out, it gives apps the ability to install on the SD cards

Phones
    Carriers
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, you're supposed to have like over 130mb left even after the carrier software is added. The kinds of apps you mentioned should not leave you with 14mb of space.

Some apps do bloat though. They can start small like 1 to 2gb then gradually increase in size due to the all the data being stored and cached. This is typical of many Twitter and news apps, though some of them would also put the cache into the SD card. If you install these apps and they ask you permission to use the SD card, that means they are storing the data on the SD card.

I think there is something in that phone that is holding up a lot of memory and we are missing it.

Are you using Opera Mobile and not Opera Mini by any chance? Opera Mobile has a bit memory footprint but Opera Mobile is rather trim. They do leave a big cache file after a while.

Phones
    Carriers
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    Making some experimentations.

My HTC Desire just hit low memory even with Android Froyo and many apps in the SD card. It seems something remains growing larger and it's finally revealed to be the browser cache. I would personally advise to clear data or caches off the browsers once in a while when you quit or you do it from Managing Applications. That solved the issue. Just because the browser is on the SD card doesn't mean it caches on it. This is with regards to SD relocatable browsers like Opera Mini, Opera Mobile, Dolphin browser and Dolphin HD. The Dolphin browsers do have a cache on SD card setting, and that has to be turned on.