Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Excessive Data Usage - WP7

Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score

Question Excessive Data Usage - WP7

Hello,

I recently picked up an LG Optimus 7 (Telus) and have noticed that idle data usage is around 2-5MB per hour! (Determined under data usage after logging into mytelusmobility.com).

This seems quite excessive to me - what exactly is being transferred? This even happens at night when I'm not getting any emails at all!

Here is what I have linked on my phone:
    1. 1 GMAIL address (IMAP with Calendar and Contacts Sync'd)
    2. 1 Yahoo(Rogers) email address (IMAP)
    3. The Weather Channel app that updates the weather in a tile

Is there anything I should check/tweak to reduce this? If I get no emails for a month I'll still go over my 500MB data plan, thats nuts!

Anybody else noticing this?

Please advise

Thanks
    SoN][c

Feedback Score
    Check your email setting.
    How many mb of an email is it set to download?
    How many days? weeks?
    Lots of Contacts?

I haven't checked my data usage yet but will review it fairly soon.

Are you browsing the web marketplace?

If you are under a small plan you should set up wifi.

Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Dermot,

Thanks for the reply. I'd be really interested to know what your data usage is like (idle). Here are my answers:

1. Where do you set this? I dont see the option anywhere for how many MB to download.
    2. I'm only syncing the last 2 weeks of emails (which was a 1 shot download). I dont get many emails on the accounts I configured.
    3. I have about 250 contacts, again,that was a one time download. Surely it only downloads changes to contacts not the entire set each time? I haven't made many changes to contacts.
    4. I use wifi at home, but when i'm out i want to use 3g data but if it uses 3-5MB/hour just for idle that is crazy! I will go over 2GB per month without even using the phone!

Phone
    HTC HD7
    Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yikes! I just got my HD7 and I'm not yet set up on a data plan (I'll be doing that in a week or so). I'm kind of concerned about this 'phantom' data useage... I was going to get the 50MB plan with Wind, but that would mean I'll exceed that in a day!

I'm covered by wifi at pretty much all of my destinations, but it's the commute I wanted 3g for and why I only need 50MB. If your experience is the norm, I'm very concerned. I'm going to do a search over on the Windows Phone 7 backstage forum and see if I come up with anything.

Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Hi guste,

Please let me know if you find anything. I'm actually thinking of going back to my blackberry if this continues!! At this rate, I'd be using over 2GB a month if all my phone did was just sit on the table!!! Its nuts, there has to be something configured incorrectly on the phone.

Please let me know what you find.

Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    ANYBODY else have any feedback/thoughts about this?

Phone
    HTC HD7
    Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Okay so I did some searching and I didn't find any other concerns regarding this topic. After google turned up nothing, I checked out a couple of Windows-centric sites in Winsupersite and the official Windows Phone forums. Winsupersite's Paul Thurrott talked about data usage on his device as compared to an iphone, but that doesn't really help. Other than that, I found nothing else.

I didn't quite give my situation is the earlier post I made, so here's the deal: I just picked up my HD7 a few days ago and unlocked it as soon as I got home so that I could use it temporarily with my Fido account for purely voice service. The HD7 only does 3G on AWS, so it was always my plan to wait until the end of my billing cycle and switch to Wind.

With my life story out of the way, I'll be switching to Wind this Friday and I'm still going to go with the 50MB plan and see what happens. If Wind has decent online data usage statistics, I should be able to give you an idea of what I'm eating through in a day.

Back to your post, have you checked that WiFi is prioritized (which I think is the default)? Also keep in mind that if you've opted to integrate gmail/hotmail and/or facebook into your 'People' hub, everytime you click on a contact it's doing a sync for that contact to make sure everything is up to date. What I've seen with daily use of the device is that the OS only pulls data from the network when you use a service that requests refreshed data, like the ones I've mentioned above. It's not just gorging itself in the background. Lastly, if you have the 'find my phone' option set to save your location periodically, that's going to use a miniscule amount of data as well. None of these things seem like they would add to much seperately, but put together, it might be what's causing your problems.

To me, this seems like it would be more of a modern smartphone platform problem as opposed to a WP7-specific problem, but we'll see!

Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Hi Guste,

I'm anxiously waiting to hear what your "idle" usage is like.

There is no way to set priority for WiFi vs 3G. From my digging, I've found that WiFi is indeed prioritized over 3G data aside from location data which always goes out over 3g (but that has a minor impact anyways). I do have the 'find my phone' feature disabled so periodic location updates aren't happening anyways.

I haven't integrated anything into my people hub. I only have 1xgmail IMAP (with calendar and contacts sync'd, but not added to the people 'hub'); and 1xyahoo mail (rogers) imap account with only email synced and also not added to the people hub.

There is no way in the world that should cause so much "background" usage. Also, I've found that attachments are not downloaded automatcially unless you specifically click on them which is great. Either way though, I dont get nearly enough emails on these accounts for that type of background usage.

I've never had this issue with Android or iPhone, their "background" data usage is pretty minimal. As you said, they generally use data when you actively try to do something (surf the web, youtube, check app/online stores, etc).

Really confused by this...

Please let me know what you find.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    I have a Samsung Focus that I haven't put on a plan yet so I won't be much help - maybe you can do some self-troubleshooting...

If I was you, I would blow the phone up and start-over...

Maybe just import your main e-mail contacts and see if that helps - see how it goes...

Phone
    HTC HD7
    Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Son][c, I just activated my account and so I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow evening after a typical day of low-to-no usage. Just wanted to give you an update.

Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    KingBuzzo

Please let me know what you find when you activate your data plan.

I'm really considering doing a factory reset and starting over, but am going to wait to hear what others typical usage is.

Cheers

Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Guste - thanks for the update!! I'll check back again tomorrow. Does WIND have a portal where you can see your near-realtime data usage?

Cheers

Phone
    HTC HD7
    Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You know what, they do. I'll check right now...

Edit: I can't check yet I think, as my account isn't activated fully. I'm using a temporary number, while my number is ported over. They say it will automatically switch to the new number when it's complete. I'll check at that time and post the results.

Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Doh, I'm dying here. Ok no worries, will check back soon to see what you find. BTW, what apps have you installed on your phone and how many email addresses/what type do you have right now?

Phone
    HTC HD7
    Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    SoN][c, I can confirm that I'm seeing unusually large data usage with my phone. Today, I visited two webpages that were here on HowardForums. Of my 50MB plan, I now have 34MB left and that's with the wifi given preference. That would mean either I used 16MB of data in 90 minutes, or that data was still being used when I was back on a wifi network. I am... irritated.

Unfortunately, I can't log into my account to access this information, because WIND screwed up. I'm not even with them for 12 hours and already I'm concerned about their technical proficiency, but that's another topic.

As a precaution, I've turned data off. I mean, I'm at home, I don't even need data at the moment. Is your phone on wifi at home? I ask, because I'm wondering if even when on wifi, the phone is using data. If that's the case, GRRRRRR...

As far as what apps and e-mail I've got going, I have Hotmail, Gmail and Facebook in the e-mail accounts section of the settings. For other Apps that might be eating my data; The CBC Hockey App, Poynt, Facebook, Flixster, Xbox Live, iMDB, Netflix, Twitter, Youtube and Shazam.

My main concern for the culprit behind all of this is the Facebook integration, but I have no idea. Another hypothesis would be all those apps I installed that demanded the ability to use location data for the app to work properly. It would be crazy if all those apps that aren't even running were still demanding information on my location.

EDIT: Here's a post about this very problem. I'm going to do some more digging, but it's really annoying to have to keep turning off data.

EDIT 2: I've located the official Microsoft support forum for WP7 and posted a question at the following link. Hopefully someone from the MS answers team looks into this question and gives a proper answer.
    Last edited by guste; 11-25-2010 at 10:17 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast