Thread: Tracfone LG 231c

Feedback Score

Tracfone LG 231c

I got the new LG 231c in the mail the other day from Tracfone's website. I have not seen any recent review for this phone, so I thought I would start one.

The phone overall is a very simple, black phone. Nothing wrong with that for me. That's all I need. There is no logo marking on the outside, but there is on the inside under the screen. The phone is a bit thick, but feels good in the hand. It has the glossy black all around the case, even the back. It's not my most desirable finish as it leaves fingerprints everywhere, all the time. It also makes it very easy to lose your grip on this phone. It reminds me of the soap in the shower.

The build quality lacks quite a bit. A common thing among LG products. The hinge on the phone seems weak and squeaks as it opens and closes. Any lateral movement of the hinge will make it sound like rusty box springs. Overall it's very lightweight and has that cheap, plastic feel. But then again, it was only $30.

The camera lacks, of course. Who needs that anyways? The menu system is exactly like the 290c slider models. There is not a way to block data because under Settings>Security there is no option for restrictions to block data.

Everyone probably wants to know about bluetooth connectivity. I tried to connect it to my MacBook Pro. It connected fine, but with all of the restrictions put on the phone, I was able to do nothing. It would not allow me to browse the phone, and when I tried to send an .mp3 ringer, of course it said file not supported. It's a crippled bluetooth with only the intention to be used for bluetooth headset.

There is no memory card slot, and a 2.5mm headset jack. The power cord receiver is at the bottom of the phone. The outside display is color and will take photos while closed. The keypad feels good to click on, but the directional pad is recessed and feels weird and can easily be fat fingered. You cannot customize the soft keys, of course. There are dedicated speakerphone and voice command buttons. Typing one handed feels odd because it way out of balance when it is open, but that is true of most clamshells. When opening this phone with your thumb one-handed, be warned you may wear away your thumb nail. I noticed that the plastic screen is raised a little above the outer frame on the inside of the earpiece part of the phone. When you open it with your thumb, the sharp edge of the plastic scrapes at your thumbnail leaving residue on the edge of the screen. Just a little thing I noticed.

Overall, for $30 it's not a bad phone if you just want a simple, black flip-phone. The quality lacks, and the glossy finish is a thumbs down. Call quality is average. I may go back to my LG 100c just because it's more solid and quicker to use.

Phones
    SAM T404g
    MOT W490,Nokia 6030
    SE TM506,LG VX5600
    Carrier
    T-MO/TRAC/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for posting this. I wasn't happy after reading the review. I've always liked the LG220c and had thought the LG 231c would be an "upgraded" one but it appears that is not the case-except for a very basic camera. In addition you can easily turn off the browser in the LG220c but not this model so its a step backward. The color and finish is also a step back.
    What I was hoping to see was a LG220c with mms, camera(1.3 mpxl), full working bluetooth-like the em326g. Oh well.

Feedback Score
    Black Glossy finish.

I just don't get it. I see this with all the new televisions too. I think it is idiotic. On TV's it was matte black as it did not reflect window/room lights. Now all is glossy black and it does reflect light.

And then the phones. Fingerprints/smudges everywhere. I have a gray LG3280 and never smudges.

Apparently it is called style. Glossy black is "IN" style now. If you don't have glossy black you apparently are out of style.

Feedback Score
    Ya, the glossy finish is not desired by me at all. I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind this. I would much prefer a matte black style. I'm a bit anal about fingerprints, which is why I don't care much for touchscreens. Please, Tracfone, a solid matte black phone with the ability to disable data would be mostexcellent!

Phones
    LG 600g
    LG 225
    Moto w376g
    Carriers
    TracFone
    Feedback Score

LG 231c review

Sorry to post this so late in the game, but I thought it might be helpful to some if I pointed out this LG 231c review on my blog. It was actually written by Otis 226, but it is very thorough. For the most part, Otis and I agree with the original poster, but there is maybe a little more "meat" to our review.