Thread: Tethering question about the Huawei Ascend

Feedback Score

Tethering question about the Huawei Ascend

I have been using this free app by Guardam that can easily be found on the Android Marketplace under a few different names (mine is simply called "Free Tethering")
    The phone is not rooted, but the tethering works decent for basic internet,
    but Bit Torrent, Netflix, Hulu, will not run, also Youtube is mostly useless.

Is this normal for tethering?

The Guardam website talks of downloading the real Android SDK.
    Would this help?

Note:The adb and driver is based on the Google’s sdk. The real Android SDK is more than 150Mb. So I made a subset of it that is just 3Mb which contains adb and the driver to save money of the traffic.
    If you want to download the real google’s sdk, you can download it from http://developer.android.com

http://www.guardam.com/2010/08/09/mo...ing-published/
    Former Cricket User: Boise, ID

Feedback Score
    Android SDK seemed to have no obvious answers for me
    (then again, I dont know very much about the inner workings of cell phones).

Does anybody know why the phone only gets limited internet when tethered in this manner?
    It does not seem to be able to send any large data packets.
    My laptop internet is just as limited as the actual phone when tethered.

If the phone is ROOTED does it run full internet when tethered?

Phones
    M860 ascend locust *RooTeD*.prl.42600.Linux version 3.0-git
    1st cricket phone sprint Mogul ppc
    experiment Blackberry 8350i mms wap pushmail nav os5 boostmobile anaworm full service books
    Carriers
    cricket
    Google voice
    Feedback Score
    i have no way to test usb tether. have you tried barnacle wifi tether. I did test that quickly at work and my laptop was able to connect but all i had time to do was check the ip and it was leap

.. i'd be interested in your results of wifi tether and services such as hulu netflicks ps3 xbox360 torrents and any wifi enabled dvd or blueray players with similar types of web apps

If my boss isnt lurkn tommorow. Ill try to test it as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MASDAVI View Post
    i have no way to test usb tether. have you tried barnacle wifi tether. I did test that quickly at work and my laptop was able to connect but all i had time to do was check the ip and it was leap

.. i'd be interested in your results of wifi tether and services such as hulu netflicks ps3 xbox360 torrents and any wifi enabled dvd or blueray players with similar types of web apps

If my boss isnt lurkn tommorow. Ill try to test it as well.
    Any Luck?

My phone is not rooted, so I can not wi fi tether.

I want to root my phone,
    and the last post on this thread seems like the best method.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ot-your-device

"Well what we are going to do is say screw that I have root and I dont need to pay or download an app to control my screen
    I am going to set the system default to something that works for me
    with one line of code
    ro.sf.lcd_density=
    Open your root file manager to
    /system/
    mount the system r/w and......etc...

....Laymens Terms on how to do this.
    Anyone?
    Last edited by gregbang; 12-10-2010 at 02:02 AM. Reason: make clear

Feedback Score
    ^K

Got the phone rooted using an updated version of Z4root I found on the net.
    Barnacle runs full internet via wi fi .

Still not able to delete any cricket apps, or see the expanded settings menu?
    Any Help?

Feedback Score
    uhm, I want to use my Huawei Ascend to make wifi so I can connect my xbox to the internet at work as my job doesn't have any internet at all besides my phone.... is it possible?

Feedback Score
    I've rooted my Ascend using z4 root, the trick is you have to use Ver. 1.20 which is the only version that will work to root the ascend. I use Barnacle and Guardam's wireless tether they both are ok for web browsing but anything more than that and it is garbage. To tether an Xbox you need to buy EasyTether full version from the market which is 9.99, and probably the best choice if you have Windows or Mac. Seems to me that the ascend is a really crappy phone to use for tethering since I've come from an HD2 from Tmobile which was super fast and didn't even have a 4G connection. And yes the only way to wirelessly tether the Ascend is to root it because you need root access to disable the wifi manager and such. I'm going to switch to the Optimus from LG because tethering is a big part of why I bought my ascend but after trying all the options its just not cutting it for me.

Huawei Ascend Cricket.

Feedback Score
    How would you simply tether the Huawei Ascend (2.1 android capability) to use as a modem on a laptop or desktop? If I'm understanding correctly, I'd have to root it with the z4root.. THEN what? -_- please help?

Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaptress View Post
    How would you simply tether the Huawei Ascend (2.1 android capability) to use as a modem on a laptop or desktop? If I'm understanding correctly, I'd have to root it with the z4root.. THEN what? -_- please help?
    If you don't want to root it you can use PDANet which is free. You can tether that way over USB.

If you decide to root it, download Barnacle Wifi Tether, and then you should be good to go.

Feedback Score
    do I download anything from pdanet? More importantly if so does it get dowloaded to the phone or comp.? Reason I ask is because ive been using my phone for internet even to do this from its browser. I'll check pdanet right now.

Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaptress View Post
    do I download anything from pdanet? More importantly if so does it get dowloaded to the phone or comp.? Reason I ask is because ive been using my phone for internet even to do this from its browser. I'll check pdanet right now.
    I think you need to download it on both. Download it on the phone first, and it should tell you what to do. It isn't difficult. Download the application and let me know if you figure it out.

Feedback Score
    Why would you use your phone to play your x box or ps3? You have 1gb of data on cricket. Once you hit that they throttle the speed from 1.4megabit (perfect conditions) to 150kilobit. You would watch about an hour of TV and use it all. Then for the rest of the month your internet barley works. Good plan......

Sent via the HowardForums Android app

Feedback Score
    Trying to hook your phone up to an x box or ps3 is about as smart as tieing a horse up to your car because someone told you you would have more horse power. If phones could do this wouldn't you think x box would find away to build it into the system like apple did with the ipad?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by garet jax View Post
    Trying to hook your phone up to an x box or ps3 is about as smart as tieing a horse up to your car because someone told you you would have more horse power. If phones could do this wouldn't you think x box would find away to build it into the system like apple did with the ipad?

the only thing holding back tethering from being a great option for online gaming is the speed, not the concept. If you have 4g and use an Evo or an Epic you could use wifi tether for your 360/ps3 and play COD online with no lag or issues. No need to build it in to anything that doesnt even make sense as a gaming console 360/ps3 aint exactly portable like the iPad so your example is like wiping your butt before you crap.......... doesnt make any sense