Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Official Group 2 Transition Discussion (CA/NV/VA/AL)

Device(s)
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If this was the case I would have to guess that somebody would have found out way before the transition took place. I mean didn't somebody from Alltel and AT&T have to sign off on this deal? Also, if somebody else owned the towers and equipment did they not know that somebody was coming and doing major work on the equipment? I mean I'm sure the building that the equipment kept is probably locked and behind a fence. Did AT&T just jump the fence and crow bar their way into the building? I did hear that in Dickenson and Buchanan Counties AT&T couldn't take over because Alltel didn't own the towers. But that was found out a couple of months ago and they did not go through the whole transition process. If this is true then I am sure there would be a major press release and mass text/email coming very soon, but I honestly do not see how it could be true. I am sure there was so many things that AT&T had to go through to officially take over the towers.

Device(s)
    Pixel, iPhone 8, iPad Pro, OnePlus3
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by proudmama View Post
    I called Alltel earlier today because rumors were spreading around facebook that AT&T was pulling out of wise county. When I talked to the lady she apologized but confirmed it. She said that AT&T had thought alltel owned the towers but found out after they bought in that they only piggyback and had decided not to put up towers in our area.
    She also went on to say that we would have to ship our phones back. Now I live in the Big Stone Gap, area of Wise county and this shouldn't have been a problem, but she said it was the whole area. When I told her that we had already received our phones she said we would have to send them back and would be notified to do so. But when I talked to AT&T they had no knowledge of it.
    But then again when I told the lady that all the AT&T stores in our area said this was just a rumor she said that they will be notified as well. That they hadn't as of yet. So why does Alltel know this information but AT&T doesn't? Actually I should add that AT&T went completely around the question every time it was asked. Even going as far as to hang up on my cousin when she tried calling about it as well. Both of us have been on the phone almost all day to try to find a solution to this. Who do I believe, Alltel or AT&T?
    They said that we wouldn't be able to use the phones after Jan, and when I asked if Alltel would be staying in this area she said no that we would need to transfer our number to another provider by Jan2nd. Wouldn't bother me so much except when I tried to transfer to Verizon, we were turned down. Leaving us with no choice but prepaid. Does anyone else have any information on this? Who's right, alltel or at&t?
    That sounds really far fetched to me. A company like ATT don't just bumble around and not know what towers they own.

Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    I called Alltel and was informed that their computers are automatically charging an ETF, in error. The rep informed me that Alltel account reps are going through the system and removing the ETF so that no one will get charged. She reiterated that NO ONE who activates their AT&T phones would get charged an ETF.

Also, about the tower situation. If you look up the tower information with the FCC, you will see that most of the towers are owned by AT&T now. Not just the antenna's at the top, but the entire structure is owned by AT&T. The tower in Coeburn is AT&T and also the tower in Wise is AT&T. The question becomes, what about the tower in Tacoma (between Coeburn and Norton)? It is not registered as AT&T right now.

I seriously don't believe that the FCC would've allowed this merger to happen and for these particular areas to be given to AT&T instead of Verizon if there were problems with tower ownership.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T former Alltel Blue (WWC)
    Feedback Score
    Just an FYI, the EDP's are being charged and then adjusted intentionally. This is the method that was preferred by the "transition services team" (former Alltel employees now employed by verizon). You will also see adjustments for the remaining portion of your Alltel bill cycle that will be charged on your AT&T account.

Feedback Score

Rumors are true

I called Alltel again today to make sure they had the right area. They told me once again that wise county will not have service with att, then gave me this number 888-948-0440 to att. When I spoke with someone at att, she informed me that all customers that received the phone would have to send them back or they will be charged for the phones. That the customers will not have good coverage in the wise county area, so att is not picking them up.

The reason I included the number was so anyone that wanted to could call and verify it. I asked why att's website listed us having coverage, and she said that they will have some but not good. That we would get a lot of dropped calls and other problems with our service. And that we need to transfer our numbers to another carrier as soon as possible. But please call the number and see what they tell you because when they transferred me to the transition department so I could find out how to send the phones back, the other lady didn't know anything going on. Just let me know please what they say to you. Thanks.

Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by proudmama View Post
    I called Alltel again today to make sure they had the right area. They told me once again that wise county will not have service with att, then gave me this number 888-948-0440 to att. When I spoke with someone at att, she informed me that all customers that received the phone would have to send them back or they will be charged for the phones. That the customers will not have good coverage in the wise county area, so att is not picking them up.

The reason I included the number was so anyone that wanted to could call and verify it. I asked why att's website listed us having coverage, and she said that they will have some but not good. That we would get a lot of dropped calls and other problems with our service. And that we need to transfer our numbers to another carrier as soon as possible. But please call the number and see what they tell you because when they transferred me to the transition department so I could find out how to send the phones back, the other lady didn't know anything going on. Just let me know please what they say to you. Thanks.
    This still seems very odd. Everyone I have talked to that has activated their phone in the Wise / Norton / Coeburn area has seemed to have equal or better service even in places where Alltel signal was weaker.

Device(s)
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If this is true then it has to be one of the most idiotic corporate blunders ever. So AT&T bought this area, sunk thousands if not millions of dollars into the acquisitions of customers base, new network build out, store face lift, advertising, etc. and figure out three weeks before the transition date that oh crap we don't really own these towers! I just cannot fathom how this would happen with all of the FCC, DOJ, etc, etc watching this transition not to mention both Alltel and AT&T working on the transition. It just does not make any sense. I can maybe understand if they realized the mistake shortly after buying the market, but not after getting this far into the process. I mean you would think that making sure you actually own a tower would be one of the first things checked. It just does not make sense to me. I want to see something official from AT&T before I would believe it.

IF this is the case then what will happen to us? You would think that the FCC, DOJ or whoever would not want us to "switch carriers" because the only other carrier around here that will work somewhat reliably is Verizon and that would create a monopoly in this area. If anything I would think that they would bring us back under the Alltel transition carrier that we were under before AT&T and put our market back up for sale. Not just say good luck, go find somebody else

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This just doesn't make any sense. I only care because I'm worried we'll get further delayed here if already converted markets are a mess. Still, this one just doesn't make any sense so I'm chalking it up to being totally untrue, or at most - a half-truth. That is, I think that SOME areas will have no service. But not the whole area having to cancel. Maybe more like "some areas won't have service so if you want you can cancel".

Clay...?

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    AT&T is basically letting this group of customers know they may not have service where they live if they switch. I have no clue what the background is for the change but the customers were mailed a letter on 12/14 and received an sms on 12/15. They can switch to any other carrier ETF free.

You have recently been identified as one of a very small group of existing Alltel
    customers whose wireless coverage in their home billing area will not transition
    to AT&T. If you transition your service to an AT&T replacement device, you may
    have little or no coverage in your home area.
    Please contact us immediately at 1-888-948-0440 to speak to a customer
    service representative to discuss service options and avoid an interruption in
    your wireless service.
    Sincerely,
    AT&T

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Clay, that letter sure sounds like what I guessed - that they may keep their AT&T devices if they wish - they present it like it's an option.

Second, does this and the fact that certain people are being switched BACK to their Alltel phones in California and Nevada have any impact on the rest of us? Are we still on schedule for February, or are resources having to go into sorting out these areas?

Device(s)
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So the service that AT&T has around here now will remain the same? This does make so much more sense than the oh crap we totally screwed up theory.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    No impact to the other markets so far. They actually added a small buffer to the timeline just in case things are delayed again.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpapa30 View Post
    So the service that AT&T has around here now will remain the same? This does make so much more sense than the oh crap we totally screwed up theory.
    Exactly, the service you receive on your Alltel handset in this area is not being provided by Alltel. Unless whoever is providing the service adds 3G UMTS and a roaming agreement with AT&T there will be no change to AT&T service. I am not at all familiar with this market or the affected area.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I have received one on my at&t phones. I have tried to activate it twice. I have been told that I have to take it to an at&t store to activate and I have also been told that the phone will activate on its own. I know people who have activated already as have a lot of the people using this forum. Not sure what is going on.

Device(s)
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Have you tried calling 1-866-895-1099 to activate it? I activated mine on Wednesday and have not had any problems so far.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast