Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Official AT&T Transition Handset Selection Discussion

Carrier(s)
    AT&T former Alltel Blue (WWC)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wandler20 View Post
    If I go out and buy a Samsung Captivate at retail price, how soon will I be able to get it activated? I really don't plan on waiting until January if I don't have too.
    You will not be able to activate it on your alltel number until your markets chanover date.

Device(s)
    HTC Hero (Alltel)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cclay25 View Post
    You will not be able to activate it on your alltel number until your markets chanover date.
    Will they let me know when that date is?

Carrier(s)
    The Big V
    Feedback Score
    Keep in mind this is all just a guess. My order is due 11/1. I ordered last night, ship date is 11/7. My guess is that ship date is about a week before swichover, Im guessing my market swiches 11/15.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    You will receive your pre-selected AT&T phone with activation instructions that will include the date your market switchover is.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    No way uli, they're gonna give you more than a day or two... what if you're traveling when you get the new phone...

Device(s)
    Current:Bold 9650
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    There will be a recycling option but as of now it isnt required. General pre-selection actually ends before the end of the year in all markets. The online tool will be available if you upgrade/change your handset until 1/15. I have a mix of a couple different plans. What is going to save me the most is unlimited messaging for the entire account (5 lines) for $30. I am also going to have one account on the $190 plan that i can add 7 additional lines to for $9.99 each. Unlimited messaging on that plan is $25 for the first line and $6 for each addition line.
    Once again, you're the man. Thanks. I'm on the SmartChoice 500 $89.99 with 16 MyCircle- 2 BlackBerrys and 1 dumbphone. We use around 2000 minutes total/month and don't hit the 500. I'm thinking I won't be able to save anything by switching plans.
    This confusion can easily be avoided if you pronounce the word intended aloud. If it has a voiced Z sound, then it’s “lose.” If it has a hissy S sound, then it’s “loose.” Here are examples of correct usage: “He tends to lose his keys.” “She lets her dog run loose.”

Loose
    not rigidly fastened or securely attached

Lose
    to miss from one's possession or from a customary or supposed place

Also, just because a word has an "s" at the end, doesn't mean it needs an apostrophe.

Carrier(s)
    The Big V
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Uhde View Post
    No way uli, they're gonna give you more than a day or two... what if you're traveling when you get the new phone...
    I didn't say it would be a day or two. The phone ships the 7th 2 day, so 5-6 days would be enough. It's not like they're just gonna shut off everyone's CDMA phones instanly, Im sure there will be a on line or phone call required to activate the new phone. In many areas not even scheduled to transition for a while 3g is already active, I have no way to check here but I wouldn't be suprised if it's already on.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Not how it'll probably work. MTPCS, a local carrier here, did a similar transition. One night, overnight (August 17th, 2006 specifically) you were to turn off your CDMA phone when you went to bed and turn on your GSM phone in the morning. Thus the disaster began... the network was completely overloaded, nothing worked right, and they lost thousands of customers (and they didn't have that many to start with...) in the several weeks it took everything to settle down and the network to function properly.

Now, AT&T won't be that bad, or even bad at all... there's a whole lot of engineering experience there (though, granted, Nokia did the build for MTPCS so who knows...). BUT, it's probably gonna be a similar hard cut date. And I'd HOPE to accomodate travellers, that they give at LEAST 2 weeks between phone delivery and hard cut. I know it's not rare for me to be out on the road far more than 2 weeks at a time...

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I can take this one - Once the UMTS network is ready, phones will start shipping to customers that have pre-selected. When you receive the phone there will be instructions on how to activate it. Basically dial a number and your Alltel service is disconnected and your AT&T service goes live. Every shipment will include an "automatic" migration date for those that don't call in. After a few weeks prepaid customers will start receiving messages to visit an Alltel store to purchase a new handset. Eventually the final date will arrive and all remaining CDMA customers will be disconnected. There will not be a hard cut because the CDMA network will remain online until June of 2013 and both networks will be running simultaneously.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yay, that's GREAT news Clay. I'll tell you the "hard cut night" was a NIGHTMARE for MTPCS (Chinook Wireless, now CellularONE) and to be honest, I expected AT&T to have some pains even if not as bad...

Device(s)
    Backberry Tour
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I can take this one - Once the UMTS network is ready, phones will start shipping to customers that have pre-selected. When you receive the phone there will be instructions on how to activate it. Basically dial a number and your Alltel service is disconnected and your AT&T service goes live. Every shipment will include an "automatic" migration date for those that don't call in. After a few weeks prepaid customers will start receiving messages to visit an Alltel store to purchase a new handset. Eventually the final date will arrive and all remaining CDMA customers will be disconnected. There will not be a hard cut because the CDMA network will remain online until June of 2013 and both networks will be running simultaneously.
    so if theyre gonna keep cdma running till 2013 does that mean you can wait a few more months (at least) till at&t has a better selection of "free" phones for you??

Also, say one of my options is the blackberry curve 3g, can i pay the difference and get a blackberry torch and still keep my alltel rate plan?

Device(s)
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    From what I understand, if you do not select a phone before your selection time ends they will send you the phone most comparable to the one you have now. Also, I believe I read somewhere on here a few days ago that the CDMA portion of the network is going to be for roaming agreements only and you will not be able to use your Alltel phone after the AT&T takeover date. I am sure cclay will correct this if it's wrong.

Device(s)
    Backberry Tour
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    well that sucks lol

Device(s)
    Backberry Tour
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    okay, i just visited the att site. i have 4 lines on my acct and these are the phones i have on my account

1.blackberry pearl
    2.LG tritan
    3. Samsung Delve r800
    4. some cheap LG phone

It seems to me that the only good comparable offer att is giving me is the blackberry curve 3g because the best offer for lines 2 and 3 is the Samsung eternity II. Im paying $$ for the data packages on these phones since alltel cosiders these smartphones. Is there a way i can actually get att smartphones for lines 2 and 3??

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpapa30 View Post
    From what I understand, if you do not select a phone before your selection time ends they will send you the phone most comparable to the one you have now. Also, I believe I read somewhere on here a few days ago that the CDMA portion of the network is going to be for roaming agreements only and you will not be able to use your Alltel phone after the AT&T takeover date. I am sure cclay will correct this if it's wrong.
    100% correct. The CDMA network will be for roaming only.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast