Phones
    iP4 - 16gb
    60-70 phones since 2000
    Carrier
    At&t
    Feedback Score

MMS settings on iPhone 4 (iOS 4.2.1) - Way to reduce picture size or icrease timeout?

I see someone said they have a MMS issue, I do to but I have a different question about it.

I've had this problem since getting the iPhone 4 since it takes "larger" pics.. I cannot send a picture I've taken unless I'm in 3G or have 5 bars on Edge (sometimes 4 works), any weaker won't send (most places I go around "home" are in the 1-3 bars of Edge, no 3G).

Is there a way to decrease the size of the Pic, or compress it before sending it..... Or to increase the timeout so the pic goes through?

Thanks, Jason

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    The compression automatically happens. As far as I know, there is also no way to make the iPhone 4 compress the picture. I routinely send and recieve MMS on two bars (because that's all I have at my house) but perhaps AT&T has other issues that Rogers (that I use) doesn't? I know when I send a picture to my friends, the picture they recieve is drastically smaller than what I sent (both in terms of Size and REsolution) but apparently Rogers uses some company that automatically resizes pictures through MMS to save bandwidth or whatever I guess.

Do you send the MMS and then put it into sleep or put it down so it automatically goes to sleep, or do you keep it on an active until it has sent the picture? Other than that, I have no idea what to suggest. Sorry.

Phones
    iP4 - 16gb
    60-70 phones since 2000
    Carrier
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Howmander View Post
    The compression automatically happens. As far as I know, there is also no way to make the iPhone 4 compress the picture. I routinely send and recieve MMS on two bars (because that's all I have at my house) but perhaps AT&T has other issues that Rogers (that I use) doesn't? I know when I send a picture to my friends, the picture they recieve is drastically smaller than what I sent (both in terms of Size and REsolution) but apparently Rogers uses some company that automatically resizes pictures through MMS to save bandwidth or whatever I guess.

Do you send the MMS and then put it into sleep or put it down so it automatically goes to sleep, or do you keep it on an active until it has sent the picture? Other than that, I have no idea what to suggest. Sorry.
    I've tried all the above.... And as for the compression, I think it does compress it because I've had people reply back to me remarking on how small my pic was.

I wonder if HDR pics are bigger and take longer to send?

Phone
    Motorola Atrix HD Maxx / iPhone 5 (backup)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by telejas View Post
    I've tried all the above.... And as for the compression, I think it does compress it because I've had people reply back to me remarking on how small my pic was.

I wonder if HDR pics are bigger and take longer to send?
    The file size between HDR and non-HDR pictures is minimal.

There is a setting in the messaging settings where you can adjust maximum MMS file size. This would allow you to send a larger picture. It may also be your service provider's server compressing the picture too.
    Seems like it is cool to have these in your sig?

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mandrsn1 View Post
    The file size between HDR and non-HDR pictures is minimal.

There is a setting in the messaging settings where you can adjust maximum MMS file size. This would allow you to send a larger picture. It may also be your service provider's server compressing the picture too.
    Could you tell us where? I can't find this setting. In my messages settings, all I see is "Show Preview", "Repeat Alert", "MMS Messaging" (On or off), "Show Subject Field", and "Character Count" I would like to know where to find settings for MMS. Thanks!

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Could you tell us where? I can't find this setting. In my messages settings, all I see is "Show Preview", "Repeat Alert", "MMS Messaging" (On or off), "Show Subject Field", and "Character Count" I would like to know where to find settings for MMS. Thanks!
    It is in the "Cellular data" menu under MMS settings.

Phones
    IPhone 5 64 gig
    iPhone 4
    Nokia N75 unlocked debranded, N85-3 unlocked unbranded
    Carriers
    AT&T- this week!
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    I don't see that menu on the iPhone 4

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsjr View Post
    I don't see that menu on the iPhone 4
    Ahh, you may need to be jailbroken to enable it.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Ahh, you may need to be jailbroken to enable it.
    Yeah, that would have been an important part of your solution to convey! ;-) lol!

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, that would have been an important part of your solution to convey! ;-) lol!
    It depends on your carrier. Some allow editing.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    It depends on your carrier. Some allow editing.
    Which ones?

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Yes, it depends on the carrier profile. Some allow it and some don't.

Aside from that, if you have a factory-unlocked iPhone and use it with a non-official carrier, you will get that dialog and you can edit the settings, regardless of your native carrier profile.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.