Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Swapping TracFone Numbers/Accounts

Phone
    LG 290C
    Carrier
    TracFone
    Feedback Score

Swapping TracFone Numbers/Accounts

Okay, here's the deal. I've got two TracFones - a Motorola V60i with a few hundred minutes and several months on it, and an LG290C that is currently inactive (the number on it was just ported over to another provider a week ago) but still has a few hundred minutes on it.

If I call CS and ask them to transfer the account (phone number and expiration date) from the Motorola to the LG, will I get the combined minutes from both phones?

Alternatively, what if I were to just reactivate the LG with a new number (I would, I believe, get to keep the minutes currently on there, though I would have to add a card to get a new expiration date) and then call CS and just ask to swap the accounts on the two phones?

Where I ultimately want to end up is with the phone number currently on the Motorola moved to the LG and the LG active with a new number, but I want to do it in such a way as to minimize both the number of minutes and/or days I would lose and to make it as simple as possible for explaining to CS.

Any ideas?

Feedback Score
    There is nothing simple about conversations with CS. If you call the regular number, be sure to choose the technical department. The regular department is not reliable for anything.

You can have the works moved from the Motorola to the LG. The LG should retain the airtime it had before as long as it's been less than 60 days. The phone number move might involve a port. Make sure it goes to Verizon, for data services.

If the CSR says that your plan is impossible, hang up and call again. Or try 1-800-876-5753 (supposed to be better CS).

Feedback Score
    Like you I have two Tracfones. But each time I upgraded I replaced each phone with a newer phone. And when I lost one phone - and replaced with a new one - Tracfone did port minutes but not the telephone number.

I have read here of some who have tried to do what you are doing. I can't remember if it can be done. Taking two phones and minutes and transferring into one may be a tad complicated for the average CS person.

I suppose if you get the right CS person anything can be done.

Now that I think of it when I transferred minutes from lost phone to new phone I was told there was a 2 week waiting period. I guess they want people to keep looking for the lost phone before they transfer minutes.

Curious to know if you get this accomplished as you plan to do.

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score
    Transferring airtime from one active fone to another active fone seems to be a very common thing for trac CS. Most trac CSR's seem to be able to handle this with ease.

The only time the "possible 2 week wait period" may come into play is when transferring from a fone on which you cannot verify the airtime (lost, won't turn on.....). That is why keeping record of your parameter 0 and parameter 30 values can come in very very handy. Occasionally write down the 2 values and the corresponding minutes. If you have those values you don't have to tell CS that you lost the fone. Simply give them the minutes and the values when they ask for them - just as if you had the fone in front of you.

I recently tested the "don't mention a PP Dealer by name" rule here on PP Hofo......trust me, it is still in effect - got me a 7 day ban.

Feedback Score
    Not to sound too dumb. If one has an old Tracfone and attempting to port the minutes and number to new phone - don't you need both phones right in front of you and working?

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
    Not to sound too dumb. If one has an old Tracfone and attempting to port the minutes and number to new phone - don't you need both phones right in front of you and working?
    As long as you have all the required info on hand you can do the entire transfer and port without the old fone. You would need the fone number, serial number, amount of minutes left on the fone - with the corresponding Parameter 0 and 30 values. If you do not have a record of the parameter values or the minutes left don't worry, you may still be able to get by. The parameter 0 value can actually be determined by using the trac tech sup system. The amount of minutes being transferred do not have to be exactly what was on the fone. Use your most recent logged values for mins/par30 or find someone with a fone with a little less minutes than yours had and use their mins/par30 value. As long as you are transferring the same amount or lesser amount of minutes than your fone really had you are ok, regardless of where the par30 value came from. I had started a thread, here on this forum, a few months ago having users list the values from their fones just for this reason. I would be a little concerned about transferring more minutes than the old fone really had, but normally if you are only over by a small amount it doesn't raise any suspicions. As soon as I mention anything here on hofo about transferring more minutes than you had on an old fone I get criticized- so I'll stop here.
    Last edited by tracnet; 12-17-2010 at 12:19 PM.

Feedback Score
    Just to reiterate what, tracnet said, CS can handle the transfer easily. I just recently ported my ATT postpaid number to a new TF. I had another TF with minutes on it that I didn't need, that was about to run out of service days, but had 110.3 minutes left on it. CS transferred the minutes to my new phone, no problem and actually gave me a few more minutes. All told I now had 129.7 minutes on my new phone, so they transferred 120 minutes rather than the 110.3. All in all, a painless process. Just FYI, I did call Miami CS to handle it.

Phone
    LG 290C
    Carrier
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Okay, here's what I did. I had two TracFones, an LG290C that was inactive but had minutes/service days on it (this was my phone before I transferred my number to VM) and an LG3280 that was active and being used (my wife's phone). I wanted to end up with both phones active, but with the number currently on the 3280 on the 290C instead.

I noticed that the website options for activating phones online included an option for transferring service to a new Tracfone - not swapping two active phones, but close to what I needed. I also remembered, at that point, that I had access to a third TracFone - another LG3280 that I had used before I got the 290C. This phone was completely inactive, no minutes or service days.

So my plan was this:

1) Reactivate the 290C with a new number, keeping the minutes on it.
    2) Transfer that "new" account from the 290C to my old, inactive, 3280.
    3) Transfer my wife's account from her 3280 to the 290C

I could have, theoretically, then transferred the "new" account from one 3280 to the other to get to exactly where I wanted to be, but there's no point - the two 3280s are, after all, pretty much identical.

Step 1 worked even better than expected. I got to keep not only the minutes on it, but also the service days - even though I didn't apply any additional cards to it, it reactivated with the original expiration date of July.

Ran into a problem on Step 2. The online process errored out partway through. My account online showed that the number and service had been successfully transferred to the 3280, but the physical phone itself showed no minutes or service days. Calling the number would go straight to voice-mail, with neither phone ringing. I also couldn't call out from either phone. However, I was able to resolve the issue through e-mail support - they e-mailed me the codes to enter to get the 3280 correctly activated.

Ran into an even bigger problem on Step 3. When I tried to transfer the service from my wife's 3280 to the 290C, the website was telling me I had entered an "incorrect phone number" for the current phone (her 3280) - this despite the fact that I was just selecting the phone from my account, not actually typing anything in (FWIW, I tried manually typing in the ESN and phone number, and got the same error).

So, I did end up having to call CS, but at least it was a simple transfer of service from an active TracFone to a new TracFone. I didn't have to try and explain that I was trying to "swap phones" or anything. There was something odd with my wife's account, though, because the guy had me verify the Parameter 30 value and the number of minutes about three times, and it was a two-step process to transfer the minutes. Only 140 of them came over with the transfer of the number, and then we had to enter a new set of codes to add the other 200+ that she had.

Bottom line, my wife's number is now active on the 290C and I've got a 3280 active with a new number but still with all the minutes (and service days!) that had been left on the 290C when I ported out. Only one call to CS, and it was fairly straightforward.

And I do believe this is the longest post I've ever made on HowardFourms!

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanF68 View Post
    Ran into an even bigger problem on Step 3. When I tried to transfer the service from my wife's 3280 to the 290C, the website was telling me I had entered an "incorrect phone number" for the current phone (her 3280) - this despite the fact that I was just selecting the phone from my account, not actually typing anything in (FWIW, I tried manually typing in the ESN and phone number, and got the same error).
    Just for future reference........ the "bigger" problem probably wasn't as big as you think it was. Generally when the trac/n10 web site returns that particular error it is because it is not playing nice with your web browser. Normally Firefox will do this, but some have also reported IE having this issue sometimes also. Simply switching to another web browser for the task at hand normally resolves that issue.

Carrier
    NET10/TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracnet View Post
    Just for future reference........ the "bigger" problem probably wasn't as big as you think it was. Generally when the trac/n10 web site returns that particular error it is because it is not playing nice with your web browser. Normally Firefox will do this, but some have also reported IE having this issue sometimes also. Simply switching to another web browser for the task at hand normally resolves that issue.
    I have received the same message ("incorrect phone number") when I was logged in to do a transfer, where you have to select the phone number the system lists for your old phone. Other times, if I didn't log in I was able to input the number manually and the transfer went through okay. I think this problem popped up both for Firefox and IE. When seanF68 tried to input manually and got the same message, it may have been because the transfer was already messed up from his earlier attempt. My advice is not to log in when doing a transfer.

Feedback Score
    question for you guys.....If your transfering your number & mins from an old tracfone to a new one and your old tracfone came with DMFL but your new one doesn't . Do you loose your DMFL??? with the transfer.

Feedback Score
    DMFL is associated to the serial number. It stays with whatever serial number it is associated to. It is supposed to be a permanent feature of a particular serial number. It cannot be transferred if it was native to the phone. However, if it was added to the phone via a purchased DMFL card, and the phone is taken out of service within the first 30 days of DMFL, then it *might* be allowed to transfer to a new phone if necessary.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedice5 View Post
    question for you guys.....If your transfering your number & mins from an old tracfone to a new one and your old tracfone came with DMFL but your new one doesn't . Do you loose your DMFL??? with the transfer.
    DMFL stays attached to the serial number of the fone to which it was assigned. There is some info out there that suggests that it is transferable to another fone under certain circumstances. So the old fone will not lose (L-O-S-E) DMFL - it should be there if ever reactivated. Sometimes that will get botched up though and require some legwork to get it corrected.

EDIT: ooops....lol.......sorry Lisme, didn't mean to talk over you here. peace

Feedback Score
    thanks guys.....also how do you guys do a transfer with out logging in ? ...on there site they ask me to log in before preceding to do the transfer.

Feedback Score
    The more the merrier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast