Thread: Having issues with Huawei Ascend

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    LG Esteem [sold]
    Carrier
    Take a wild guess
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by isaacj87 View Post
    Task killers end up being worse for Android phones. Essentially, you're freeing up memory, but cutting Android off at the knees by doing so. Android OS has a specific way of managing memory and CPU usage. Using a task killer interrupts that process and could potentially slow down the phone and impact battery life.

I use to use it on the Ascend, but realized that when I took the bloatware off, I didn't really notice a difference when using ATK. Upon uninstalling ATK, my phone behaves the same way as when I was constantly looking to free up memory. To each his/her own, but I wouldn't recommend using a task killer.
    If that is the case, then how are Ascend owners supposed to free up memory that is being wasted by apps they're not even using? The major problem with the Ascend compared to other droids is that it only has 256mb of RAM available..and between 70% - 85% of that memory seems to be in use all the time...at least from what I saw on my coworker's phone. It wouldn't be that big of a deal if it had 512 mb like the Optimus...but since it doesn't, when it comes to this phone, you've got to trim down wasted memory clogs wherever you can...unless of course you don't mind dealing with snail-paced performance from time to time.

Carrier
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroPieceofShi View Post
    If that is the case, then how are Ascend owners supposed to free up memory that is being wasted by apps they're not even using? The major problem with the Ascend compared to other droids is that it only has 256mb of RAM available..and between 70% - 85% of that memory seems to be in use all the time...at least from what I saw on my coworker's phone. It wouldn't be that big of a deal if it had 512 mb like the Optimus...but since it doesn't, when it comes to this phone, you've got to trim down wasted memory clogs wherever you can...unless of course you don't mind dealing with snail-paced performance from time to time.
    Okay ..there are definitely differing opinions on this, but after having ATK installed and then unistalling ATK and just going into my application settings and force closing what every processes were running that I didn't need seemed to make my Ascend more snappy IMO.

Phones
    LG G3
    LG G3
    Apple iPhone 5s
    Carriers
    Cricket Wireless
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    they only bad thing about a task killer i have noticed, that it in itself uses a lot of memory lol

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroPieceofShi View Post
    Unfortunately, it's really hard to say. Your co-worker, like the article says, might be using poorly developed apps that constantly run in the background (when they shouldn't) and eat up memory

On the other hand, having the RAM nearly full is actually a good thing. From the article I left it says:

"The problem is that Android uses RAM differently than, say, Windows. On Android, having your RAM nearly full is a good thing. It means that when you relaunch an app you've previously opened, the app launches quickly and returns to its previous state. So while Android actually uses RAM efficiently, most users see that their RAM is full and assume that's what's slowing down their phone. In reality, your CPU—which is only used by apps that are actually active—is almost always the bottleneck."

I'll admit, I know what you mean about seeing the RAM almost full. On my Linux systems at home, if I see the memory starting to top off, I think there's some runaway process going on and I need to kill it. But apparently, having the RAM nearly full is part of the Android magic. It allows us to believe that programs launch faster than they really do.

I also installed a widget to monitor my RAM usage. After removing all the bloatware MetroPCS/Huawei put on there, I'm only using about 48 megs. I really get very little slowdown on this phone and the only time I can think of when it lags, is when I'm using the custom keyboard I installed on it. My fiancee and friends are really impressed that this little thing goes as fast as it does.

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by P-38Lightning View Post
    Okay ..there are definitely differing opinions on this, but after having ATK installed and then unistalling ATK and just going into my application settings and force closing what every processes were running that I didn't need seemed to make my Ascend more snappy IMO.
    That's different, I think. I honestly don't know exactly how Android manages volatile memory and running processes, but ATK would kill tasks using volatile memory (RAM). I think going in to the running processes in settings would just stop processes that are currently using CPU. Ehhh, I dunno. I got look more into it.

Carrier
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by isaacj87 View Post
    That's different, I think. I honestly don't know exactly how Android manages volatile memory and running processes, but ATK would kill tasks using volatile memory (RAM). I think going in to the running processes in settings would just stop processes that are currently using CPU. Ehhh, I dunno. I got look more into it.
    That's what I meant by stopping " the processes that are currently running ". You can " force close " the processes you don't need to be running and using cpu.

Feedback Score
    Quick ? for you Huawei Ascend owners. Has anyone figured out how to turn on "voice" when writing a text message? I know it is possible with android 2.1, but can't figure out how to enable it on this phone, so that I can speak and have the phone write a text message for me. I have downloaded the voice programs needed for other apps, but cant figure out the text messaging. Thanks!

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by qdOOd View Post
    Quick ? for you Huawei Ascend owners. Has anyone figured out how to turn on "voice" when writing a text message? I know it is possible with android 2.1, but can't figure out how to enable it on this phone, so that I can speak and have the phone write a text message for me. I have downloaded the voice programs needed for other apps, but cant figure out the text messaging. Thanks!
    I use text messaging by voice all the time. I don't think I did anything more special than installing this keyboard I found from xda-devs: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=624416

IIRC, you don't even have to be root to install this. Once it was installed, you're off and running and it works pretty well.

Feedback Score
    couldn t get mine working either,and i reformatted my sd card in the phone ,now i have no alert sound for text messages and only vibrate,anyone know where to fing some help on this,i can only set alert sounf for media ,ie email alerts,thanks

Phones
    Huawei Ascend M860
    Samsung Freeform
    Carrier
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score
    P-38Lightning & MetroPieceofShi

ty both for your help

another question i have is the keyboard while texting or composing an email. well not so much the keyboard but the word prediction function. when i try to spell out common words, i normally have several words to choose from so i don't have to spell out the complete word. this word prediction function seems to be lacking alot of common words. my Samsung freeform had T9 and the word choices were pretty complete.

is there an app or something it needs?

Carrier
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by teprac View Post

ty both for your help

another question i have is the keyboard while texting or composing an email. well not so much the keyboard but the word prediction function. when i try to spell out common words, i normally have several words to choose from so i don't have to spell out the complete word. this word prediction function seems to be lacking alot of common words. my Samsung freeform had T9 and the word choices were pretty complete.

You're welcome. Out of curiosity ...are you using swype as you input method on the keyboard?? I used the standard keyboards and swype and that works great. I know you can download other keyboards on the market.

When you use swype... If it doesn't recognize the word you are trying to spell it brings up a bunch from you to choose from and the ability to enter your word into the " swype " memory.

I am sure you know this though.....hope that helps somewhat.

Carrier
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score

ty both for your help

Hey...try the shout out app in the android market. It is voice to text and even though it says your handset is not supported...it's works amazingly well. Pretty cool app...especially when you need to focus on other things than the screen!!

Phones
    Huawei Ascend M860
    Samsung Freeform
    Carrier
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score
    P-38Lightning

ty for all your suggestions

i tried another keyboard, but for now i'm going to get used to swype. i think it's the way to go.

i downloaded the shout out app. it works very well.

ty again for your help

Phones
    Huawei Ascend M860
    Samsung Freeform
    Carrier
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score
    Btw, how do i set default keyboard to swype?

My phone is set to Android keyboard right now.

Carrier
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score
    Btw, how do i set default keyboard to swype?

My phone is set to Android keyboard right now.
    You're welcome! The default keyboard should have should have the lil swype icon in the lower left corner. I am still pretty amazed at how accurate it is too. Makes texting very easy.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast