Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: AT&T TV Commercial

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    South Georgia
    Posts
    500
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    0

    Thumbs down AT&T TV Commercial

    I just watched this AT&T commercial. At the end of the commercial the narrator states that AT&T has the fastest mobile broadband network PERIOD. At the bottom of the frames it has in little letters "Mobile Broadband not available in all areas". This seems to be quite misleading. If you were just listening to the commercial and didn't see the little disclaimer what would you think? It aggravates me somewhat as I live in an area that is stuck with EDGE until they AT&T feels up to upgrading the towers in my area. PERIOD Yeah Right!!!



    What's the email address of the president of AT&T?
    Samsung Captivate
    Currently running Firefly 2.9

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    california
    Posts
    10,339
    Phone
    After trying many phones, the one phone that is worthy of this spot is the 6620!!
    Feedback Score
    0
    Really?

    Are you being serious or do you not understand the difference between speed and coverage?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    South Georgia
    Posts
    500
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    0
    I understand the difference. But the commercial says Period. To me that is saying that it is the fastest everywhere. If I'm wrong please correct me. I don't think that they should use the term Period in a commercial when the network is not the fastest everywhere.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,438
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    You are wrong, and you have now been corrected. Where you live, how's the population density? If it's low, there's not much of a financial incentive to improve it much.
    My statements and opinions do not reflect those of my employer, AT&T Mobility. This is disclosed per FTC regulation.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    23
    Feedback Score
    0
    First, wireless is line-of-sight radio, so any and all speed claims should be looked upon with skepticism.

    Second, ATT's claim to be the fastest network is obviously different than a claim to be the largest network. Even if that was the case, how can you meaure network speed? You can measure the speed of a tiny part of a network, but that's about it.

    So, get over it It's just an ad. Do you really make decisions based soley on the content of ads?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    South Georgia
    Posts
    500
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by justcorbly View Post
    First, wireless is line-of-sight radio, so any and all speed claims should be looked upon with skepticism.

    Second, ATT's claim to be the fastest network is obviously different than a claim to be the largest network. Even if that was the case, how can you meaure network speed? You can measure the speed of a tiny part of a network, but that's about it.

    So, get over it It's just an ad. Do you really make decisions based soley on the content of ads?
    I don't make decisions that way, but there are people that do...That's why companies spend so much money on advertising.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    15,202
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Don't take any TV commercial too seriously. There is always room for exaggeration without breaking any regulations. Does anyone believe that Verizon used to send hundreds of technicians and employees to follow each and every customer like in their TV commercials just a few years ago??

    Anyone dumb enough to believe every thing that they see on TV is real and truthful is just fooling themselves and "a fool and their money will soon be parted".
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

    Sarcasm is a fine art...

    "Don't believe everything you think"

    It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    206
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-ca; HTC-A7275 Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

    At least their not calling it 4G. That's the worst lie in telephony these days. I personally don't care if sprint, metropcs and verizon call themselves 4G because regardless of what the ITU says, wimax and LTE really are running fourth generation data networks. T-Mobile is flat out lying.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Posts
    20,089
    Phones
    RIM BlackBerry Q10
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carriers
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS
    Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    0
    What's the issue here? AT&T ads are no different from the ads that I see from the auto manufactures who proclaim they have the "Toughest truck" or offering 0% interest/3500 cash back, yet when you read fine print there are details that aren't as prominent as the special offers. I bet consumers are just as confused who really has the "Toughest truck" or if they really qualify for the special offers. Do you also feel burned when a competitor proclaims their truck is "tougher" then your truck?

    This ad that you deride from AT&T is no different from the other ads used by companies of other industries to get people hooked on to their products.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    BTA027
    Posts
    16,522
    Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    0
    Either way, I'm not sure how AT&T can continue to claim the fastest mobile broadband network, now that VZW has launched LTE. VZW's LTE is undoubtedly faster than AT&T's HSDPA cat 8. Now if AT&T upgraded their HSDPA to cat 14, that might be a different story.

    PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chester, IL
    Posts
    4,711
    Phone
    iPhone 5S Gold
    Carrier
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by blutruck View Post
    I just watched this AT&T commercial. At the end of the commercial the narrator states that AT&T has the fastest mobile broadband network PERIOD. At the bottom of the frames it has in little letters "Mobile Broadband not available in all areas". This seems to be quite misleading. If you were just listening to the commercial and didn't see the little disclaimer what would you think? It aggravates me somewhat as I live in an area that is stuck with EDGE until they AT&T feels up to upgrading the towers in my area. PERIOD Yeah Right!!!



    What's the email address of the president of AT&T?
    I hate to say it... until the economics of HSPA+ improves a bit, you're probably not seeing 3G expansion where you live. What happened differently in Verizon's case was that EV-DO, their 3G upgrade, was a more elegant software upgrade, CDMA was more or less designed for 3G upgrades all along. 3G systems had to add CDMA and more or less reinvent the wheel, while there are advantages to this like simultaneous voice and data, it's slower to expand. If you have an issue, vote with your feet and get Verizon that is 3G upgraded on most of their POP's.

    On a separate note, this commercial is classic fluffery. However the commercial and 3G expansion are separate issues. Now if you're in South Georgia, and you're in one of the 1900 markets, you're coverage might not be as good as if they were on 850 bands anyway, and while HSPA+ might have slight coverage improvement, it's not the magic bullet to fix it. I know, I live in a 1900 EDGE-only market. It sucks but the only way I can effect this is to vote with my feet. Problem with doing this, is that if I do this, AT&T loses another customer and reason to upgrade the area I'm in! So, it's a quandry and I understand. However, if you need 3G, leave.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Posts
    20,089
    Phones
    RIM BlackBerry Q10
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carriers
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS
    Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    I know, I live in a 1900 EDGE-only market. It sucks but the only way I can effect this is to vote with my feet. Problem with doing this, is that if I do this, AT&T loses another customer and reason to upgrade the area I'm in! So, it's a quandry and I understand. However, if you need 3G, leave.
    Not that it matters if you stayed with AT&T anyways since they won't touch their smaller PCS only markets for an HSPA+ upgrade unless they have a good reason to..PHX, Albuquerque, Nashua, St George, Omaha, Des Moines, etc..anything smaller than those examples won't see any significant effort by AT&T to expand. Even then it took awhile for Omaha and Des Moines to get 3G.

    I could have augured that I live in a PCS only market if things turned out differently but there's a good chance that AT&T would have upgraded my PCS only network to handle HSPA+. It's just a matter of whether AT&T will see a decent ROI for the effort they put in, regardless of what band they end up using.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    15,202
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Either way, I'm not sure how AT&T can continue to claim the fastest mobile broadband network, now that VZW has launched LTE. VZW's LTE is undoubtedly faster than AT&T's HSDPA cat 8. Now if AT&T upgraded their HSDPA to cat 14, that might be a different story.
    And I can claim to be the King of England, but it wouldn't make it any more true.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    5,097
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    What happened differently in Verizon's case was that EV-DO, their 3G upgrade, was a more elegant software upgrade, CDMA was more or less designed for 3G upgrades all along.
    Um...not sure where you get your information but EV-DO was NOT a software upgrade. It required an entirely new (packet based) network backend too. What does make it a little easier to deploy is that it only requires 2.5 MHz chunks of spectrum instead of 10 MHz.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,273
    Phones
    nokia N75
    nokia 6230
    nokia 2190
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    0
    No one is outraged that the driver is checking his texts?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New Page Plus Commercial
    By RDMWireless in forum Page Plus Cellular
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-30-2010, 08:08 AM
  2. KGB Commercial
    By fastamx79 in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-10-2010, 08:45 AM
  3. Hub Commercial
    By supercsr in forum VZW Employees and Agents Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-18-2009, 09:23 AM
  4. Pre commercial
    By Evan702 in forum webOS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2009, 09:32 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-17-2009, 05:30 PM

Bookmarks