Thread: Unknown calls

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Unknown calls

For the last few weeks almost every day I have been getting 1 or now twice 2 calls from "unknown". They generally happen about the same time every day 4:00 to 6:00 in the afternoon. I called AT&T a couple days ago and they say they see no record of the calls. The calls never ring for the full time a regular call does, and the couple times I've managed to grab my phone quickly, when I answer the calls (or try to) the call never connects (still says missed call). So I can't answer the call, there is never a voicemail, AT&T says they see no calls, and I don't see any calls in my online AT&T account, but they show up in my call log on the phone. By the way I have an iPhone 4 running 4.2.1 and I do have a microcell at home (where most of these calls happen). Any ideas?

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Could be an auto-dialer (robo-caller) that automatically disconnects after a certain # of rings if not answered. Sounds like they are blocking their caller ID and there is very little that customer service can do about that. Best advice is to not answer the call if you don't recognize the phone # or if someone blocks their caller ID. Won't cost you anything or use your airtime if you don't answer the phone (in the US and not roaming internationally).
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    WE Model 302
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You cannot do a lot about this.

If you want, you can jailbreak and use an application like iBlacklist or MCleaner to block calls from unknown callers or blocked-ID callers, or even to restrict incoming calls to your contact lists. (Rejected calls will go to voice mail without your phone even having the first ring.)

Since jailbreaking 4.2.1 is problematic (you have to be comfortable with file manipulation to get a working version of Cydia), an alternative with the stock firmware is to download a silent ringtone and assign it to the default ringtone. Then you will have to assign another ringtone to your contact list to make sure that they still cause your phone to ring.

This will not absolutely solve the problem because your Bluetooth automobile connection will still ring. :-)

The only total, absolute solution is for Apple to break down and allow the App Store to carry iBlacklist and MCleaner, or to at least allow us to restrict our incoming calls to the contact list.

Nokia business devices have had a free application for call management for years and years, and although I would agree that the iPhone is still the best PDA-type device available, it is too bad they lag behind in this particular area.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks all. I managed to "answer" the call on Wednesday. My phone connected for 3 seconds then disconnected. It finally then showed up on my AT&T usage list (as a call from me). Since then the calls have stopped and no weird activity on my account. Hopefully it stays that way.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    For future referene, the following incoming calls leave no record with your carrier:
    1. Hangups while ringing.
    2. Unanswered calls.
    3. Calls which go to voicemail.
    Any call which causes your phone to detect an incoming call will show up as a missed call or an answered call. Only answered calls or calls forwarded to other than the standard voicemail number count against your allowance.
    Earl F. Parrish