Thread: Intercept Charging Issue

Phones
    Samsung Intercept
    Samsung Intercept
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Intercept Charging Issue

Occasionally when I plug my Samsung Intercept into the charger, instead of charging the battery, it intentionally drains it. When I go into settings and then status, the battery status says "Discharging." The battery icon goes between flashing the normal battery indicator (the one when not plugged in, just plain light blue), and an empty red indicator. Once the battery becomes completely drained, which takes quite a while, the phone shuts off due to insufficient battery life and then begins to charge while off, until it is full again. After I power the phone back on, everything is normal. This has happened twice, and I've had the phone for about a month and a half.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them, or does anyone know anything that might shed some light on this issue?

Feedback Score
    I've had this issue couple times myself. I have no idea what causes it, I always just turn the phone off and turn it back on, that fixes it for me. No having to wait for the battery to drain

Phones
    Samsung Intercept
    Samsung Intercept
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blinblue View Post
    I've had this issue couple times myself. I have no idea what causes it, I always just turn the phone off and turn it back on, that fixes it for me. No having to wait for the battery to drain
    Thanks for sharing your experience, it's nice to know that at least some small fraction of users also are experiencing this. I do know that turning it off or back on, or just off, fixes the problem. But I chose to let it run its course so I could see what happened and hopefully learn more about it. It makes me wonder if there is a legitimate cause, due to the fact that there is a specific battery status that appears when it is happening.

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Discharging = battery conditioning. It's good for the battery for the phone to do that.

Feedback Score
    Mine did the same thing. I cleaned the battery contacts and it hasn't done it since.

Here's a thread where is this problem was discussed. http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...=#post14135483

Phones
    Samsung Intercept
    Samsung Intercept
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Churner View Post
    Discharging = battery conditioning. It's good for the battery for the phone to do that.
    I agree with you in that it is good for the battery to cycle completely from time to time. But why is the phone allowing the battery to discharge instead of charging it like normal? Is it possible that the phone does it for that specific reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Ablinkin View Post
    Mine did the same thing. I cleaned the battery contacts and it hasn't done it since.

Here's a thread where is this problem was discussed. http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...=#post14135483
    Thanks for the link, I think I faintly remember reading about it a while back now. However, I highly doubt my battery needed to be cleaned at all. I recently took it out, and it looked spotless.

Feedback Score
    Yeah I thought it was strange also as the contacts didn't look dirty. The phone was only a month old at the time. Several thought it was an overheated battery. But it hasn't done it since.

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I saw this once as well. Freaked me out.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Churner View Post
    It is actually not good for a lithium battery to drain all the way. The old ni-cad batteries worked better when you conditioned them once a month but with lithium everytime the battery is depleted you lose a little capacity.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Feedback Score
    From the Virgin Intercept manual:

"Do not wait until your battery is completely depleted before charging your device. Repeating this process of a
    complete discharge and recharge can over time reduce the storage capacity of any battery."