Thread: Data card questions

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Data card questions

I am thinking about getting an ATT data card for my home internet once the conversion happens. Their data cards should be faster than my current broadband plan. However, I'm concerned about the data cap. So what I'm wondering is could I go purchase an Alltel data card and plan right now and then be grandfathered into an unlimited data plan when I convert to ATT?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T former Alltel Blue (WWC)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hahler2 View Post
    I am thinking about getting an ATT data card for my home internet once the conversion happens. Their data cards should be faster than my current broadband plan. However, I'm concerned about the data cap. So what I'm wondering is could I go purchase an Alltel data card and plan right now and then be grandfathered into an unlimited data plan when I convert to ATT?
    Yes, unlimited data plans will be grandfathered.

Feedback Score
    We have a Verizon Data Card for a laptop that is coming off of a 2 year contract. We would like to know if there are any comparable Data Card services that can be purchased on a Month to Month Basis. We find that we don't need the service all the time, but would like to have something that we could use like a Pre-Paid Wireless Plan. Something that we could have operational for a few months and then turnoff during other months and then bring back up on a as need basis. Any good ideas or options?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Just got my data card today, and the speeds are pretty good. My only question is the "Welcome to AT&T" letter that came with the transition instructions said that you can switch to different equipment within the first 30 days. Does that mean it is possible to switch out the Lightning data card for a Shockwave?

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Where are you located newyork, did you already get phones, SPEED TESTS!!!????? THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY INFO!

Device(s)
    Pixel, iPhone X, iPad Pro, LG V30, OnePlus3
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post
    Just got my data card today, and the speeds are pretty good. My only question is the "Welcome to AT&T" letter that came with the transition instructions said that you can switch to different equipment within the first 30 days. Does that mean it is possible to switch out the Lightning data card for a Shockwave?
    Can you post some speed tests please?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Uhde View Post
    Where are you located newyork, did you already get phones, SPEED TESTS!!!????? THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY INFO!
    Can't believe there isn't more members posting speed tests on the new network. I guess most folks don't care... I'm in Omaha, NE for the next while and I have been trying out an Iphone 4 and my best speed test in the couple days I've had it is 5.72MB down. Would that be 7.2MB network speeds or is this HSPA+? How do I tell for sure?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprke81 View Post
    Can you post some speed tests please?
    I'll post some tomorrow if I can remember (for the Danville, VA market).

My data card stays primarily in a really low signal area (-100dbm) and it hasn't fallen below 2mbps, and most are 3+ (I've topped out a 4mbps at my current location). My latency is amazing (50ms) though, and I've gotten roughly 6mbps down and 1.1 up in a spot with better signal.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Here's a speedtest I just did:

EDIT:

And another:

Last edited by newyork4me; 01-08-2011 at 01:45 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Droid: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me
    Here's a speedtest I just did:

EDIT:

And another:

Thanks! Looks pretty good.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks newyork, but that doesn't line up with the latency you say you're seeing. Still, VERY VERY nice, and extremely promising. Come on, AT&T!

sprke, the iPhone is not an HSPA+ device.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks newyork, but that doesn't line up with the latency you say you're seeing. Still, VERY VERY nice, and extremely promising. Come on, AT&T!

Yes I know..I was wondering how to tell if the network was upgraded to +.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score

Sorry, I was sharing the data card to the computer I did the test on via WiFi, and that didn't help the latency. Here is a test I just did with it plugged into the computer

Feedback Score
    Some people (including me) have had issues with data corruption; if that happens your S9 will want to erase the card when you put it back in. Locking the card avoids this issue. Also, Macs will write little files to the card (thumbs.db etc) if it is unlocked that the S9 might not like.