Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why is everyone so pissy about ESN\MEID cloning?

Feedback Score

Why is everyone so pissy about ESN\MEID cloning?

On all the forums it seems as if everyone gets really pissy when someone asks about ESN or MEID cloning. I completely understand the FCC says it's technically illegal, but do you honestly see anything wrong with it for personal use? Using cloning to get free service is one thing, but to switch carriers or even have a backup phone readily available is completely different IMO.

Also how many people (besides large scale operations, shops doing it for people, or people doing it clearly with criminal intent) do you know that got locked up for ESN switching? If the people chose to do it let them do it at their own risk.

Could it be the forum operators are afraid they will be prosecuted? If it ever did become an issue the web host will be contacted or a cease and desist type of notice will be issued. The forum operator simply says "I will promptly remove the content", removes a couple of threads, and the complaint is closed. I work Abuse & Security at a major webhost. I see DMCA, copyright violation, hacking, and other complaints regarding "illegal" things every single day. Site admins simply remove the illegal content and nothing ever becomes of the issue.

Why is everyone so pissy about this issue?? Just help people out who ask questions. Share the knowledge because if they really want to do it they will find out anyway.

Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Phones
    RIM BlackBerry Q10
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carriers
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS
    Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ownage1100 View Post
    Could it be the forum operators are afraid they will be prosecuted? If it ever did become an issue the web host will be contacted or a cease and desist type of notice will be issued. The forum operator simply says "I will promptly remove the content", removes a couple of threads, and the complaint is closed. I work Abuse & Security at a major webhost. I see DMCA, copyright violation, hacking, and other complaints regarding "illegal" things every single day. Site admins simply remove the illegal content and nothing ever becomes of the issue.
    Actually this was the case for Howardforums at one time and I don't think that Howard wants to deal with cease and desist orders anymore. One time is enough, for Howard. As for complaints every single day, I doubt the mods have time deal with illegal and forum related issues on a daily basis. It simply boils down to time, something Howard and the mods do not have.

Why is everyone so pissy about this issue?? Just help people out who ask questions. Share the knowledge because if they really want to do it they will find out anyway.
    So if people will find out anyways then what's the point in sharing the knowledge when they don't even have to come here in the first place? If there's another source that already provides this information then just use that source.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It's not technically illegal, it's illegal. Unfortunately, the FCC website is currently down, or I would post the link regarding it. Discussing it here is not allowed. Neither is posting the same thread more than once.
    Current Device: White Out Moto X 32GB
    THE RULES!
    Please report all inappropriate posts by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom of the post.

Phone
    BB 9630 Tour
    Carriers
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    Discussing the legal ramifications of it is completely OK. I discuss it often with members of my forums. I too don't see the big deal. Breaking the speed limit by 1mph is illegal but we still discuss it often. In fact we have a thread titled "Fastest You Ever Drove?" here. If a moderator gives you a hard time about discussing it, take it up with jay/frail/nicholas. Just don't discuss how to do it and the tools needed.
    -------------------------------------------
    Isriam
    Want 20GB of FREE storage? Much better than Dropbox with better software, service, and rules! +5GB for every referral you get! Click me

Feedback Score
    I dont even understand any of this or why its illegal? I have seen many phones on ebay that say bad esn. If its illegal to change or fix them they shouldnt be able to be sold. If the bad esn isnt because the phone was considered stolen then why do phones get bad esn's?

One of the many reasons I prefer GSM. No need for any of this, you buy a phone and put your sim n and youre good to go!

Phone
    BB 9630 Tour
    Carriers
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    You don't clone ESN's because you can steal service, as well as other things. It isn't as simple as a GSM phone. It would be like cloning SIMs.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Snackers View Post
    I dont even understand any of this or why its illegal? I have seen many phones on ebay that say bad esn. If its illegal to change or fix them they shouldnt be able to be sold. If the bad esn isnt because the phone was considered stolen then why do phones get bad esn's?

One of the many reasons I prefer GSM. No need for any of this, you buy a phone and put your sim n and youre good to go!
    Bad ESN devices can often times be activated on other providers. For instance, say you have a Sprint phone with a bad ESN. Someone buys it, and then has it activated on say, Metro PCS. That will work. I know local people that specialize in buying bad ESN phones on Craigslist and eBay, and then flip them for providers like Metro PCS who will usually activate them.

Cloning and changing ESN numbers are illegal. What you mentioned is different.

Phone
    BB 9630 Tour
    Carriers
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    Repairing ESN is also "illegal" however many forums on here support it and offer walk throughs on how to do it. I've erased an ESN/MEID on a LG device and had to have members of this forum help me restore the phone to factory settings so I could OTA the device and put it back on my carrier.

Not all ESN discussions are illegal. The only thing HoFo is against is how to clone, and the software required to clone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid View Post
    Bad ESN devices can often times be activated on other providers. For instance, say you have a Sprint phone with a bad ESN. Someone buys it, and then has it activated on say, Metro PCS. That will work. I know local people that specialize in buying bad ESN phones on Craigslist and eBay, and then flip them for providers like Metro PCS who will usually activate them.

Cloning and changing ESN numbers are illegal. What you mentioned is different.
    ok then why do none stolen phones get bad esn's?

Phone
    BB 9630 Tour
    Carriers
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    Non bill pay.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Isriam View Post
    Non bill pay.
    seriously? that shouldnt be legal. the phone that the user owns is just that their phone they shouldnt be able to make the phone useless. that sounds messed up.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Snackers View Post
    ok then why do none stolen phones get bad esn's?
    Owner loses phone, calls provider, and they block it. A month later, phone is found hidden in the couch. Now it has a bad ESN, but is not stolen. Isriam also mentions non bill pay. If you don't pay your bill, your phones ESN is disabled until the amount is paid. It's just like when they shut your power off. They don't turn it on until you pay.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid View Post
    Owner loses phone, calls provider, and they block it. A month later, phone is found hidden in the couch. Now it has a bad ESN, but is not stolen. Isriam also mentions non bill pay. If you don't pay your bill, your phones ESN is disabled until the amount is paid. It's just like when they shut your power off. They don't turn it on until you pay.
    true but your already paid for the house, you can sell your house. so you should be able to do whatever you want with the phone that you already paid for. they should have no right to make your phone unsellable. they already got your money for the phone.

Phone
    Snap!!!
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    My car's paid off but I don't think they'd be keen on me changing my VIN.

If it weren't for fraud I don't think it would be a problem. People abuse any system they can, wanting something for nothing, and laws have to be made to attempt to protect honest people.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixGeek
    You will never find a more wretched hive of bad spelling and stupidity.
    Come to The Far Side. We have cookies

Phone
    BB 9630 Tour
    Carriers
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    no one said changing the vin was right or legal. but discussing it shouldn't be an issue. :P

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast