Thread: Best internet phone on Straight Talk?

Phone
    Galaxy Note II (SPH-L900)
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Question Best internet phone on Straight Talk?

A buddy of mine is looking to get a Straight Talk phone. He has been on USCellular for 2 years with his LG Rumor and now his contract is up. He has no interest in getting anything with a contract since ST "has it all, for less". Its to be expected that Anyone who has had the same phone for 2-years is going be excited about getting a different one.

But I'm a little concerned he might be expecting too much from the phone in terms of internet competency. He is planning on getting either the Nokia E71 or the Nokia 6790(Both $244.99). I have done all the searching and tried over and over to find any information about browsing quality or a video of either phones browser in action but I am failing. Straight Talk is quite popular apparently, but there isn't much information online about their phones(The Good or Bad) beyond Calling and Texting. My Env Touch is great on Facebook, Wikipedia and most small/simple sites - But other sites require too much effort to use or generally just won't work at all(That's why I'm getting a DroidX). I can't imagine a PrePaid phone with no-touch navigation operating any better - Though perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps one of those ST phones is actually Awesome for browsing. Can anyone give me some insight?

Sorry it turned into a novel. I really appreciate the help.

Thank You

Phone
    ST- Sammy R451C
    Feedback Score
    While you will see HTML pages, there's no Flash 10 support. Keep in mind the screen size too. You can scroll up/down and left to right. Has zoom in/out functions too. You can also install Opera browser.

Carrier
    expired -Att
    Feedback Score
    Ceno,

Thanks for your reply on my post. Regarding your question, I use the e71x, with att, the default browser was fine, but using Opera 10.1 with turbo, made it much much faster and readable, the zoom is nice too.

I might have to suck it up myself and buy a ST e71 - not sure if it is a "X" though. If I do, I post something about it.

Miko Scorpio

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Miko Scorpio View Post
    Ceno,

Thanks for your reply on my post. Regarding your question, I use the e71x, with att, the default browser was fine, but using Opera 10.1 with turbo, made it much much faster and readable, the zoom is nice too.

I might have to suck it up myself and buy a ST e71 - not sure if it is a "X" though. If I do, I post something about it.

Miko Scorpio
    The e71X is simply the one locked to their network by ATT (and maybe customized in some other ways — not having one I am not sure what ATT has done to it). The one sold by StraightTalk is the e71-2 and is a standard e71. BUT you need the StraightTalk SIM in order to use StraightTalk and the ONLY way to get that is to buy the StraightTalk version. You will also need to be using their $45 a month cards. Also, be aware that ALL StraightTalk e71 phones use only ATT.

Carrier
    AIO, Cricket or whatever AT&T is calling it this week
    Feedback Score
    The browser works reasonably well as far as rendering speed and ability to load full HTML pages. The display resolution is low and it's not a touch screen, so zooming and panning with the keypad gets old fast. It more or less reminded me of the T-Mobile Dash 3G in terms of what it could do.

But no, it's not Android or an iPhone.
    iPad plan on iPhone 4--------------------------------------Sprint 3G

Achievement Unlocked: Phone Collector

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    WalMart has been good about taking StraighTalk phones back if you are not satisfied (or maybe by having to say its not working). But they will not refund the airtime card. So anyone could potentially try the e71 for 30 days for $45.

Carrier
    expired -Att
    Feedback Score
    Just a little correction on the last reply. In SC, the policy for returning a Cell phone at Walmart is 15 days. And they do make you jump through the Customer Service Hoops, then Race back to Electronics, so A customer service manager can walk back to electronics to punch in there ID on the register, then they walk back to customer service. .
    Miko Scorpio
    On the Sands of Myrtle Beach
    with a Laptop and Umbrella

Phone
    Galaxy Note II (SPH-L900)
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I really appreciate all the help. This place really is the ultimate forum for anything to do with cellphones and services. My buddy ended up coming to the conclusion a DroidX would be the best option for him. He wants a phone that does it all and does it well. He spent the night screwing around with my other friends EVO 4G and Assuming he can get on that $69 Data, Text & Talk plan he should be set.

Again, Thanks Everyone!

Feedback Score
    iPhone is the best Internet phone for straight talk. Don't reply saying the iPhone will not work on ST read the other posts. It's great.

Phones
    iphone 3Gs
    iphone 3Gs
    Carriers
    ATT,
    Feedback Score
    I'm interested in the straight talk phones as well but, that is in part due to my frustration with att and verizon crippling there phones. I guess it's safe to assume thes ST phones will have all sorts of locks/blocks. Any input in this area?
    Cat in the wall? I know this game......