Thread: google voice can't connect...

Feedback Score

google voice can't connect...

I got my new droid x and activated on page plus then installed google voice. Set it to use GV for all outgoing calls. But many times, I get "can't connect try again or call without GV" message.

First I thought that GV needs internet connection to make an outgoing call. (I don't use 3G data but only use wifi when it's available.) To confirm it, I tried to make a call with wifi off. It went through well. So it's not wifi then what's causing this bug???

Anyone knows why this is happening?

Phones
    Moto E
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I'm not all that familiar with the "app-centric" use of GV using an app on Android phones, but you should check: I think the GV app really does use a data connection, not to connect a call voip-like, but to access some aspects of your online Google Voice account for dialing info. I could be wrong.

It also sounds like the phone is trying to access the web primarily through wi-fi, and when you defeat it manually it connects over the cell network successfully.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    I'm not all that familiar with the "app-centric" use of GV using an app on Android phones, but you should check: I think the GV app really does use a data connection, not to connect a call voip-like, but to access some aspects of your online Google Voice account for dialing info. I could be wrong.

It also sounds like the phone is trying to access the web primarily through wi-fi, and when you defeat it manually it connects over the cell network successfully.
    According to my recent test, yes GV does need internet connection to make a call but not all the time.
    What I found out is that you need internet connection only when you make a call to a certain number for the first time. Once you are connected with GV once, then you don't need internet connection to call the same number again.
    But I still do not know why it works this way.

Phones
    S4, wife S5, partner Galaxy Light
    S4
    wife S5
    Carrier
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    The above info is NOT correct. You do NOT need wifi at all to use GV. We have used it since before G bought it from the startup that began the company about 4 years ago. As a test, I just turned off wifi connection on my BB and easily placed a call to a number I never called before.
    We usually use it for outgoing calls only to call intl. numbers. We use GV for incoming which allows us to give people a "local" number in a diff. location which then gets forwarded to our cell.
    GV can be used on dumb phones that never have had wifi ability.

...mike
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    3 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text. 1G data on each line . $90/mo. We have had no landline in 8 years

Feedback Score
    Maybe you were using 3g data plan? I did not say you need wi-fi but need 'a internet connection'.

according to these articles, GV need a data connection.
    http://www.google.com.tw/support/for...f89162e5&hl=en
    http://blogs.standardnet.tv/2010/07/...ling-loophole/
    http://phandroid.com/2010/07/22/goog...calling-trick/

Phones
    S4
    wife S5
    Carrier
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    You do NOT need an internet connection to use GV. I have used it since before G bought the service and had a dumb phone. I did just place a call on Edge. I will try a land phone again tomorrow to prove my point. Why would you need a data plan when you are NOT using any data. It routes the call via the carriers voice lines, which is why calls using GV comes out of your plan's minutes if you route a call via GV. Incoming calls also come out of your plan's minutes.

...mike

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    You do NOT need an internet connection to use GV. I have used it since before G bought the service and had a dumb phone. I did just place a call on Edge. I will try a land phone again tomorrow to prove my point. Why would you need a data plan when you are NOT using any data. It routes the call via the carriers voice lines, which is why calls using GV comes out of your plan's minutes if you route a call via GV. Incoming calls also come out of your plan's minutes.

...mike
    Did you read those articles?

According to those articles, it seems like GV needs to contact some google servers to figure out which number to call. It used to be calling one number over and over again whenever you make an outgoing call.

But some people took advantage of it by registering this single access number as a 'family number' and mobile providers did not like it because these people can make unlimited outgoing call that way while paying less.

So google changed it's GV software to to call many different access numbers instead of calling just one number. So GV need data connection to assign a unique outgoing call number to each person you dial. Once a access number is assigned, you do not need data connection to call that number again later.

Check here for people who are complaining about this change. http://www.google.com/support/forum/...6e22f1d3&hl=en

If you are using old GV software on your phone, you probably don't need a data connection because it always calls one same number.

But with updated GV software, you need data connection to figure out which number to call when you dial a 'never called before' number.

Not sure if this is true, but this is what those articles are suggesting and it fits with my case.

Oh wait, if you are calling your GV number, press 2, enter the destination number to make an out going call, you don't need any internet connection of course. But if you are using GV software on android phone, yes, you need internet connection.

Phones
    S4
    wife S5
    Carrier
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    OK. I agree they use diff. numbers when processing outgoing calls. Since many (most?) users, at least on TMobile have unlimited calling there is no reason to ever use GV for outgoing except, like in our case, for intl. calls. (One exception for calling domestically, I guess, would be to show your GV number to the callee.)
    I am not clear, but I assume you agree that incoming does not need the internet when someone calls you on your GV number.
    IF GV is crippled on the Android so you can't use is seamlessly like on other phones (via the GV app) like on the BB, that makes no sense. I have version 1.7 on my BB. Dated 7/5/10. What does the carrier or G gain by crippling the app? Since they rotate the outgoing number for processing, you can't make use of a carrier's "Fave" or "circle" program for "free" outgoing. What's the date and ver. of your Android app?

...mike

Feedback Score
    I think I have solution for this problem. I have also this type of problem. If I never use my phone for a while I sometimes try to open the Google Voice about twice as much. When I opened twice by the press and opened the app that I can go back and my dial-up every time. This works until I left my phone sit for a while and then have to reopen the application of double voting and start over. Hope this will work.