Thread: How do you reset a VM Mifi so it won't be associated with my account?

Phones
    N90
    P900
    Feedback Score

How do you reset a VM Mifi so it won't be associated with my account?

My experiences has been with GSM-based devices and when I sold GSM phone or USB broadband devices, I can just sell it as it is without including the SIM card, which is associated with my account. However, I am not well-versed in CDMA devices.

I have the Virgin Mifi broadband (a PAY-AS-YOU-GO Internet device) and I am planning to sell it, but I believe the device was activated and tied to my account.

So if I sell it, how do I ensure that:

1). My information will no longer be associated with the device
    2). The buyer may create a new account and associate it with the device. I.e. he/she will NOT get a dreaded message saying "This device has been activated before".

Thanks!

Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that your account information isn't stored on the device, besides the settings you've been using to create wi-fi (e.g. your device name, password, etc). Everything else is just a serial number -- an ESN, that identifies your device to Virgin Mobile.

The bad news is I don't know how to "de-activate" your device fully. Resetting it will make it not remember of its settings, but you'll have to call Virgin Mobile to disassociate the device with your account, so someone else can use it instead (or else it may come up "stolen" or similar).

Phones
    N90
    P900
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info, primetechv2. So I assume the same thing also applies to normal CDMA phones? I.e. Nokia, HTC, etc. that you cannot sell the old phones?

Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    People can and do -- I have, and so have others. The only real concern is making sure the next person along can get the phone to work. After so much inactivity VM abandons your phone, allowing other people to use it. But calling them can speed up the process.

Most CDMA phones require their original carrier; I hear some GSM phones do to. Unlocked phones theoretically can be used on other carriers but with a fixed serial number, companies know whether the phone you're trying to activate is theirs (e.g. with their activation software) or not.

Sent from my Jax using Tapatalk

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    You're making this harder than it has to be. You don't need a technical solution here. Just call VM and tell them you're selling it. That'll make it easier for the buyer to activate it. Same is true of VM phones.

Phones
    N90
    P900
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Churner View Post
    You're making this harder than it has to be. You don't need a technical solution here. Just call VM and tell them you're selling it. That'll make it easier for the buyer to activate it. Same is true of VM phones.
    Just called VM, spoke with 2 CSR so far and told them that I am selling my Mifi device. Provided my ESN and asked them to clear it from their system or whatever it is that they need to do such that SOMEBODY ELSE CAN ACTIVATE IT.

Both instances the CSR said they CANNOT DO SO. I asked for a supervisor: first CSR told me to hold on and hang up. Second CSR transferred me to someone and that "supervisor" said the same thing.

They told me that the once the device is activated, it cannot be de-activated or have it re-activated again with different name.

Any suggestions?

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lanwarrior View Post
    They told me that the once the device is activated, it cannot be de-activated or have it re-activated again with different name.

Any suggestions?
    That's astounding. If it's not illegal for them to tell you that, it should be. You should say that publicly to http://twitter.com/virginmobileus and http://www.facebook.com/VirginMobileUSA.

Phone
    Droid X
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Go to the login on virginmoble's website and just input what ever you want on the account info and give the buyer the pin number so he can change it to what ever he/she wants and also the buyer can change the pin number to whatever he/she wants. Thats what I did for an ebay buyer. After I was paid I went in to the acount settings and changed it to the name and address associated with the paypal info I got and gave instructions to the buyer to change the pin number when ready. Now the device is still active and only needs to be topped up.