Thread: Surveyor Needs Help !! I am trying to tether a survey data collector to my Droid X

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Surveyor Needs Help !! I am trying to tether a survey data collector to my Droid X

I am surveyor and I use a bluetooth connection between my cell phone and a Trimble TSCE data collector (runs on Windows CE.net v 4.0) for GPS data. I use DUN on the TSCE and dial up #777 to get on the Verizon network. This method works great with LG phones like the LG ENV and even the LG Vortex
    (Android OS) but I can't get it to work with my Droid X. The bluetooth pairing works OK on the Droid X and when I start the DUN on the TSCE, I get the
    message on the Droid "Allow TSCE to access Internet Sharing Service", I select YES and instead of dialing #777 and connecting to VZW, the TSCE times out
    with message "You have been disconected from the remote computer you dialed".
    I know that the Verizon Mobile Broadband feature would have to be turned on to do the actual data link but it seems to the the DUN connection that I can't
    get to work.
    I have tried several apps including PDA Net without any luck.
    I know the Droid X will work as a tether because it works fine with a DUN connection on an LG Vortex (Android OS) and my Dell Desktop computer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lee

Feedback Score

if you find out how please let me know. thank you

if you find out how please let me know. thank you

Feedback Score
    You should come over to Land surveyors united. http://landsurveyorsunited.com/ I run the IT and Tech forums and we can probably get this worked out for you.

Dan

Feedback Score
    I have not tested the Droid X with the Trimble equipment. What our company has found is not all DUN Bluetooth profiles are created equal. We have tested a variety of phones and have found the Motorola line up, such as the original RAZR, W385 and Quantico will Bluetooth pair and its DUN profile will process data with the Trimble equipment with no issues. However, there are a few Motorola and a host of other manufactured phones supporting the DUN profile will Bluetooth pair however will not pass data. In conversations with Trimble, they have experienced the same DUN related issue. They did note the BlackBerry Curve works fine. We will be testing a variety of other handsets in the near future since the Quantico is end of life and we need to find a suitable replacement. Hope this is helpful. Rick.

Device(s)
    LG EnV touch, Droid Charge, Razr, Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    We are in the same fix. Go to the Bluetooth menu, try to allow Bluetooth tethering, and we get a popup menu from Verizon telling us to subscribe to a mobile tethering plan. Is there a workaround? This is using Samsung phones on Verizon, either a Droid Charge or a Galaxy S3. Any help appreciated.
    cellphone hacker apprentice- here to learn some tricks