Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Prepaid tablet plan without a tablet

Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score

Prepaid tablet plan without a tablet

I noticed that Bell's prepaid tablet plan is also available for the Galaxy Tab which takes a regular size SIM. Apparently I have to obtain the Bell SIM and then activate over the phone.

Suppose I have some other data device like a Dell Streak, or a Mifi. Does Bell care that I'm activating the plan on something other than a Galaxy Tab? Do they check the IMEI? Or could I just tell the rep I have a Galaxy Tab and get away with it?

I'm presently a WIND customer but I also own devices compatible with Bell. The prepaid data plan appeals to me as a way to get Internet access during periods where I'll be out of WIND coverage. The fact that I can cancel the plan and reactivate it months later is also appealing:

With no long-term contracts, you have the flexibility to add data whenever you need it. If you do not add a data plan to your iPad or tablet account, your account remains active for one year plus 120 days. As long as your account is active, you can add data at any time.
    So in other words it looks like if I turn off auto-renew, I still have 1.5 years during which I can reactivate before the SIM card goes dead.

Feedback Score
    I subscribed last week to the post paid Tablet data plan on a month to month plan. I have a Dell Streak and use 3G or Wifi for my calls using my VOIP plan. So ive subscribed in person and they did asked me for my IMEI.

25$ for the sim card and 35$ activation.
    20$ for the first 500 megs or 35$ maximum for up to 5gigs
    no 911 fees or network access fees also
    If you have phone, internet or TV with them you may be eligible for a 5$ multi-service rebate

So...
    I have tried the sim card in my laptop's built in 3G receiver and it worked, but will know on my next bill how they will charge the data. Also i made a 1 min phone call (even if its a tablet data plan) and will also see how it is charged.

I will report back
    Last edited by Buzzmovies; 12-26-2010 at 06:30 PM. Reason: correction

Carriers
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/5.1.22460/22.414; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Good to know, thanks. So they asked for your IMEI but they didn't care that it wasn't a Galaxy Tab?

I'm curious to hear similar experiences with the prepaid plan.

Turns out I have a spare unactivated Telus SIM, and they offer the same postpaid price with no activation fee. So if I wanted to try it postpaid I'd go with them.

Phones
    Bell BB Storm
    Telus BB Storm
    Rogers IPhone 3GS
    Carriers
    Rogers Wireless
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Please let us know. You can also check bell.ca for charges as well as soon as a couple of days. I would like to get data only and with $35 for 5GB only, it's a freaking good deal
    Fido
    Unlimited minutes/ 6gb/ Unlimited text/ CID/ VM/ 1000 Can Ld plan

Odd... It sounds better when I tell people that I have 1200 minutes/ 2pm-7am/ Weekends/ Unlimited Incoming/ Unlimited Network Calling/ 1000 Long distance/ 10 000 text/ CID/ VM

Do you agree?

Carriers
    Feedback Score
    I won't have a need for this until the next time I spend an extended few days in a non-Wind Canadian locale. I'll report back here though if I do try it out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/5.1.22460/22.414; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)
    Turns out I have a spare unactivated Telus SIM, and they offer the same postpaid price with no activation fee. So if I wanted to try it postpaid I'd go with them.
    Ok, listen to this (or read) On the Telus Website they have data plans for IPAD and Data Plans for Tablets, but you can ONLY activate both of theses plans with a MICRO SIM. Galaxy tab uses a standard sim as far as i know. I have spent 1 hour in person at Telus as the girl was trying to activate the tablet data plan on a regular sim but no success.

She also admitted this wasn't making any sense... So i went with BELL.

So far on the SELF SERVE android app and online, i have 2 data counters:
    Service zone : Preview Zone ........ 0.0283 MB
    Mobile Browser Usage: In-plan ...... 100.9356 MB

ANYONE KNOW WHAT PREVIEW ZONE MEANS?

Well, the first one SEEMS to the amount of data ive used in my laptop with the built it 3G WAN as i test (load 2 web pages and removed the sim)
    And the other seems to be the amount of data used with my Dell Streak including tethering via WIFI via the included tether tool of Android (Froyo)

Also no mention of the 1 min voice call made with this plan

In-plan minutes 00:00
    Rollover minutes 00:00
    Unlimited minutes 00:00
    Total Included minutes 00:00

Included calls 0
    Last edited by Buzzmovies; 12-27-2010 at 05:42 AM. Reason: typo

Feedback Score
    *UPDATE*
    So i can see the bill on My Bell...

It seems they charged me 0.40$ for my minute i have used with my cellphone witch is fair, I used to be with Virgin prepaid and it was 0.35$ per minute

And i figured that Service zone or Preview Zone in the Data billing is the amount of data used with the Bell App or on MyBell website or any other "free data" that wont count toward my montly data usage.

Nothing so far about my tethering usage on my laptop using the built in 3G radio with a different IMEI

Some have reported a 2 week delay for data to show up when tethering, i will keep an eye!

But so far, if you dont plan to make voice calls or very little this plan is WONDERFUL!

Carriers
    Feedback Score
    Okay, so for a lark, I bought a $5 SIM at The Source today. They were somewhat reluctant to sell me the unactivated SIM but did so anyways. The corporate Bell store nearby (50 Bloor W) was only willing to do so if they activated it for an extra $15 charge on the Tablet Self Serve plan. The employees at The Source, on the other hand, didn't believe there was such a thing as a Tablet Self Serve plan, and once I showed them the evidence, they asked me why I would want it, and why don't I just get the postpaid version...

So I have the card in front of me, and I've called 1-888-4-MOBILE for info on activation (as specified at: http://support.bell.ca/en-on/Mobilit...ta_plan?step=3). I explained that I have a SIM and I'd like to activate it for Tablet Self Serve. After about 6 minutes on hold they told me I should call 1-866-222-9026 instead.

Okay so I tried that number, was on hold 8 minutes, and the moment the guy said hello, he hung up with a busy signal. Next try... so I get on the phone with the guy and explain what I'd like to do. First he asks me for my Employee ID number, which confuses me. Then he seems confused that I'm not an employee and that they gave me this phone number directly. He asks me for the SIM card number, and I give it to him.

Then he asks for the IMEI, and I say, okay, but before we get there, can you tell me if the SIM will only work with that IMEI, or will it work with others? He gives me the run-around, asks why this is important, who I talked to, what web page am I looking at, et cetera. This goes on for about 10 minutes until finally I say, okay, I don't understand why you won't just answer my question, so I'm going to hang up now.

I guess I've earned my $5 worth of entertainment already But yeah this is all very silly. I can now understand very clearly why I stopped being a Bell customer in 2005 and never looked back. I am not sure when I will have the stomach to try this again, but the card remains unactivated.

Any ideas on what to say next time? I don't own a Tab. The only device I have to use this on right now is a Motorola Milestone. I'd like to simply get the SIM activated on Tablet Self Serve, see if the on-device activation shows up, and then leave it there until I have a reason to purchase a block of data. Will they care if the IMEI that I provide is not a Tab? Or what if I provide the IMEI of a Tab that I do not actually own?
    Last edited by cmstlist; 12-30-2010 at 11:00 PM.

Carriers
    Feedback Score

I should add, when I was in store, I took a photo of the about screen on the Galaxy Tab they had in store. So now I know the IMEI of the store demo tablet. If I were to give that IMEI over the phone, would it set off any red flags?

Feedback Score
    That IMEI could be in their system already. If it is you can just act confused and give the right one after all.

For the moment there is still no mention of the data i've used in my laptop... I'm starting for think they dont track usage per IMEI, at least if you dont go over your monthly data allocation.

Carriers
    Feedback Score
    Good to know - it's just that nobody on this thread has been able to report their results on the prepaid tablet plan, so I don't know if I'm to expect anything different. It's almost as if this plan is completely fictional, because it seems to have zero subscribers out there.

When you signed up postpaid with your Streak, did you give them the real IMEI of the Streak?

Another idea that occurred to me is to obtain the IMEI of an in-store Rogers Streak - very unlikely to be in Bell's system - and give that one to Bell for activation.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy Note II (I317M)
    Samsung Galaxy S II (Former)
    Nexus S (I9020A) (Former)
    Carriers
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Go to this link here, choose activate my phone or data device. Create an account and once choose activate on a new plan. Follow the step and you should be good to go.

Carriers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Urself25 View Post
    Go to this link here, choose activate my phone or data device. Create an account and once choose activate on a new plan. Follow the step and you should be good to go.
    I have tried that link, but there is no option to activate the Tablet Self Serve (prepaid tablet) plan. Can you show me where to find it?

The only option I get when I go into prepaid activation is to pay a $50 activation fee and get on a plan with Mobile Browser. When I enter the Galaxy Tab IMEI # it recognizes the nature of the device (HSPA SAM P1000M B LD DEALER) but doesn't offer me the tablet prepaid plan.

The fact that the IMEI # triggers it to include "DEALER" in the device description is a little red flag... if I give Bell that IMEI they'll definitely know something is suspect.
    Last edited by cmstlist; 12-31-2010 at 12:10 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    When you signed up postpaid with your Streak, did you give them the real IMEI of the Streak?
    Yes, i gave the real IMEI but i dont think it will be a problem.

Sorry i cant give you more information about the pre-paid plan!

Phone
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzmovies View Post
    I subscribed last week to the post paid Tablet data plan on a month to month plan. I have a Dell Streak and use 3G or Wifi for my calls using my VOIP plan. So ive subscribed in person and they did asked me for my IMEI.

25$ for the sim card and 35$ activation.
    20$ for the first 500 megs or 35$ maximum for up to 5gigs
    no 911 fees or network access fees also
    If you have phone, internet or TV with them you may be eligible for a 5$ multi-service rebate

So...
    I have tried the sim card in my laptop's built in 3G receiver and it worked, but will know on my next bill how they will charge the data. Also i made a 1 min phone call (even if its a tablet data plan) and will also see how it is charged.

I will report back
    Who charged you $25 for a Bell sim when they are only $5? I would go ask for some money back...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast