Thread: Does virgin mobile have voicemail?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Does virgin mobile have voicemail?

I just looked at their website and i didnt see anything about voicemail. Do they have it? Is it free?

Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes it has the standard call in voicemail. The phone will let you know if you have a voicemail but when you call in it uses minutes.

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Yes, there is voicemail. It is free and mandatory with every account. Checking it with your wireless phone uses minutes. Checking it from your landline does not use minutes.

Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    What number do you call to get voicemail from a landline?

Carrier
    T-Mobile, Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You call your own cell phone number and press * when you hear the greeting.

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Churner View Post
    Yes, there is voicemail. It is free and mandatory with every account. <snip />
    Not mandatory. I had no problem disabling it.

(I use Google Voice for voicemail, and I find that disabling it prevents an important message getting recorded at virgin mobile and me not noticing. )

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Null0 View Post
    Not mandatory. I had no problem disabling it.

(I use Google Voice for voicemail, and I find that disabling it prevents an important message getting recorded at virgin mobile and me not noticing. )
    Null0, what are the steps you took to disable your virgin mobile voicemail? I want google voice to pick up my voice messages and not virgin mobile.

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daacfuel View Post
    Null0, what are the steps you took to disable your virgin mobile voicemail? I want google voice to pick up my voice messages and not virgin mobile.
    Err, as long as people call your Google voice number, Google voicemail will be used.

You cannot get calls going to your Virgin Mobile voicemail to get forwarded to Google Voice. That is not what I was suggesting.

The reason I disable my virgin mobile voicemail is because, if for whatever reason, they call my virgin mobile number.. or if virgin mobile's voicemail picks up when it shouldn't, they won't be able to record a message that could potentially be lost.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    How can you disable your VM voicemail? I'd love to be able to do that.

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Just call them and ask.

The hardest part is getting to a real person.. because disabling voicemail doesn't really fall into any category...

Phones
    Moto C168i
    Nokia 6030
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Null0 View Post
    Err, as long as people call your Google voice number, Google voicemail will be used.

You cannot get calls going to your Virgin Mobile voicemail to get forwarded to Google Voice. That is not what I was suggesting.
    Somehow, I was able to get google voice to handle my pageplus cellular voicemail. Now that I ported my number to VM and have an android phone, it almost makes sense for me to do that again. But I forget how I did that, and how to make it happen again.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What happens if you use your google voice number and transfer it over to your cell number like an existing number? That's what i'd really like to do.

Feedback Score
    Null0, when you disabled Virgin's voicemail does it ring or respond with "subscriber not available" with no rings when your number is dialed and your phone is off or out of service. My concern is that if it gives you the error message before 25 seconds is up Google Voice will think the call has connected to that error message. Can you speak a little more about what happens when you disable Virgin's voicemail?

Phone
    Optimus Elite & F6
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I disabled my Virgin VM by calling and jumping through hoops till I got a live person. Once I got a live person it took only seconds for the CSR to disable VM. I tested how it worked after disabling it by calling my Virgin number and after 5-6 rings it said "Sorry XXX-XXX-XXXX is not a recognized mailbox 6012 sorry please try again later". I don't give my Virgin number out so I don't worry about someone hearing this message.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Philibuster View Post
    Null0, when you disabled Virgin's voicemail does it ring or respond with "subscriber not available" with no rings when your number is dialed and your phone is off or out of service. My concern is that if it gives you the error message before 25 seconds is up Google Voice will think the call has connected to that error message. Can you speak a little more about what happens when you disable Virgin's voicemail?
    Just tried it, and unfortunately, your suspicion is correct. With Virgin voicemail disabled, and the phone either off, out of service range, or if you reject an incoming call, your caller receives the Virgin system message:
    Sorry, xxx-xxx-xxxx (your Virgin number) is not a recognized mailbox. Please try again later. Thank you for calling. Good-bye.
    As far as Google Voice is concerned, the call was answered. Definitely not a good thing for your GV callers to hear, if you were expecting GV voicemail to pick up and allow them to leave a message, and/or want to keep your Virgin number private. It'll work as expected if your phone is always on and has signal (which is not the case inside my home and other buildings, and Virgin phones won't connect to a Sprint Airave to solve that problem at home, but that's another long and sad story....).

I think there just won't be a completely satisfactory solution until Virgin allows conditional forwarding (busy/no-answer forwarding to GV). Clearly they have the technical ability to do it, as subscribers of their Sprint-brand division can do it. Maybe if enough people request the feature and bug them often about it, and it gets escalated beyond the front line support filters?