Thread: Simple app to turn off cellular data and turn on wifi and then opposite? is it out?

Feedback Score

Simple app to turn off cellular data and turn on wifi and then opposite? is it out?

Simple app to turn off cellular data and turn on wifi and then opposite? is it out There!

When my wife gets home she never remembers to turn off data and go to wifi, SO she goes over here data usage. Is there a simple app that she could touch and turn off data and turn wifi on? Then when she leaves the house she could turn wifi off and turn data on? All with the push of one button?

thanks much

Feedback Score
    If you are jailbroken you can use SBSchedule to automatically turn on data at say, 8:00 AM, then off at 5:00PM while doing the opposite for WiFi.

This actually works pretty well, and I used to do that and had a bunch of other presets as well.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CamDelle View Post
    Simple app to turn off cellular data and turn on wifi and then opposite? is it out There!

When my wife gets home she never remembers to turn off data and go to wifi, SO she goes over here data usage. Is there a simple app that she could touch and turn off data and turn wifi on? Then when she leaves the house she could turn wifi off and turn data on? All with the push of one button?

thanks much
    Simply leave Wi-Fi enabled all the time. The phone will prefer Wi-Fi over cellular data, when it is available. Even when you are out on the street and a Wi-Fi sugnal is detected, you will be prompted to connect.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phone
    iPhone 4 Factory Unlocked
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    If you really want to do this, it takes 2 button presses but it is VERY easy to do this in sbsettings.

Press airplane, then wifi, and you're done. To go back, press airplane, then wifi.

Sbsettings is accessible from any app almost, just by swiping sideways on the title bar.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Then the voice and messages will not work.

Phone
    iPhone fOur
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    like one dude said, leave wifi always on, and turn off "Ask to Join Networks". Then when the old lady gets home, BOOM, she is on Wifi as she walks in the door.

Phone
    iPhone 4 Factory Unlocked
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Sorry then in sbsettings press data instead of airplane. Instant data off.

Like these people are saying though, just leave wifi on. When she gets home the phone will auto reconnect and prefer wifi over cell.

Phone
    Samsung SGH-ZX20
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Simply leave Wi-Fi enabled all the time. The phone will prefer Wi-Fi over cellular data, when it is available. Even when you are out on the street and a Wi-Fi sugnal is detected, you will be prompted to connect.
    Unfortunately, it's not that simple as the iPhone seems to have trouble maintaining WiFi when cellular data is turned on. My WiFi was constantly dropping at home and my phone kept jumping between WiFi and cellular data. I Googled the issue and found that it is a commonly experienced problem with the iPhone. It was suggested to try turning cellular data off and since I did that, my WiFi signal holds steady.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DissensioN View Post
    Unfortunately, it's not that simple as the iPhone seems to have trouble maintaining WiFi when cellular data is turned on. My WiFi was constantly dropping at home and my phone kept jumping between WiFi and cellular data. I Googled the issue and found that it is a commonly experienced problem with the iPhone. It was suggested to try turning cellular data off and since I did that, my WiFi signal holds steady.
    I hate how people always blame the iphone (all iphones too, never just THEIR iphones) for an issue when the majority of people don't have the issue. As numerous people have stated, the normal behaviour of the iphone is that when wifi is enabled the iphone prefers that over cellular. Even when my phone (or more exactly, the last FOUR iphones and iPad I have owned) will always stay on wifi over cellular, even when it is down to 1 bar on wifi and the signal is simply not strong enough to get any data my phones simply won't go over to cellular until the phone just cannot detect the wifi at all. How old is your iphone? What iOS are you on? Are you Jailbroken? all of these can be contributing factors. Also, have you reset your network settings? Because it sounds like your wifi might be wonky. (Settings - General - Reset - Reset Network Settings) and then try leaving the wifi on. if that doesn't work, try backing up the phone then restoring it as new then restoring from your backup and THEN try leaving wifi on and see if it stays one. The iphone is supposed to work just like we have been telling you, if it's not then there's something wrong with your phone, not all iphones.

And if she always forgets to turn off cellular when she gets home (just by going into settings), even with an App wouldn't she STILL forget to turn it off in the app anyway?

Phone
    Samsung SGH-ZX20
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Howmander View Post
    I hate how people always blame the iphone (all iphones too, never just THEIR iphones) for an issue when the majority of people don't have the issue. As numerous people have stated, the normal behaviour of the iphone is that when wifi is enabled the iphone prefers that over cellular. Even when my phone (or more exactly, the last FOUR iphones and iPad I have owned) will always stay on wifi over cellular, even when it is down to 1 bar on wifi and the signal is simply not strong enough to get any data my phones simply won't go over to cellular until the phone just cannot detect the wifi at all. How old is your iphone? What iOS are you on? Are you Jailbroken? all of these can be contributing factors. Also, have you reset your network settings? Because it sounds like your wifi might be wonky. (Settings - General - Reset - Reset Network Settings) and then try leaving the wifi on. if that doesn't work, try backing up the phone then restoring it as new then restoring from your backup and THEN try leaving wifi on and see if it stays one. The iphone is supposed to work just like we have been telling you, if it's not then there's something wrong with your phone, not all iphones.

And if she always forgets to turn off cellular when she gets home (just by going into settings), even with an App wouldn't she STILL forget to turn it off in the app anyway?
    We have 4 iPhones in the house and all 4 have the issue, so it most certainly not just my iPhone. Two of them are jailbroken, two are not, though the issue was preexisting before any of them were jailbroken. Three of these phones are on iOS 5, one is on iOS 6. Moreover, this is a well known issue with the iPhone (e.g. iPhone Can't Maintain Wifi Connection, How to Fix ..., ). That is of course just 2 of hundreds of sources that you will find if you research the issue. And finally, iOS is specifically designed to ignore WiFi signals below a certain level so it is quite possible that those of us having issues are being bounced back and forth because iOS refuses to acknowledge the signal. All other WiFi equipment in the home in the same location has no issue maintaining a connection.